Premier League relegation battle 2022/3

useless

West Ham have quite a few six pointers left.

Southampton (h), Bournemouth (a), Palace (a), Leeds (h), Leicester (a).

My suspicion is that they’ll survive. 

If I was a betting man and was purposefully looking at the sides with longer odds, I’d be considering Wolves.

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No chance West Ham are going down. There are at least 3 worse teams over 38 games than them.

I'm not going to accept that there's 'no chance' a side who are in the bottom 3 after two thirds of the season won't be in it at the end of it. Do I think it's more likely than not? Probably not. But I feel 4/1 is under-pricing the possibility. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not going to accept that there's 'no chance' a side who are in the bottom 3 after two thirds of the season won't be in it at the end of it. Do I think it's more likely than not? Probably not. But I feel 4/1 is under-pricing the possibility. 

I meant "no chance" more in the vernacular. Of course there is a chance but ai meant it wont happen.

If they win one of the two games in hand they are 12th. They are only in the bottom 3 because they have played 1 or 2 less games than those around them. They will be fine. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If I was a betting man and was purposefully looking at the sides with longer odds, I’d be considering Wolves.

Im not a betting man, and genuinely havent looked at the odds, but you'd be pretty daft to put actual money on anyone other than West Ham, Wolves, Leicester or Palace (or maybe Everton?), although presumably Palace's odds have dropped like a stone in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

The enjoyment of so many teams being involved is that at least 2 of them play each other every week, and they don't/can't all lose every week like a bottom 3 or 4 cut adrift would.

As I said the other day, it may well come down to someone changing manager - Palace have, and if they get it wrong they're screwed. How long will Leicester and West Ham stick with a manager who isn't getting the most out of squads who shouldn't be near the bottom? Sticking or twisting might be the difference for them - twisting has given Everton a big chance.

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The great(?) thing about this years relegation fight and the number of teams in it is that no one has been dropped yet - even Southampton won't think 12th is ridiculous if they win a couple.

12th is the new 17th. 10th is the new 7th. And 11th (also known as the Villa position) is the new 9th-15th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The great(?) thing about this years relegation fight and the number of teams in it is that no one has been dropped yet - even Southampton won't think 12th is ridiculous if they win a couple.

Do wonder if this might become a more common occurrence.

There aren't any terrible teams and even the ones you'd call bad aren't at the level of Sheffield United, Norwich etc of previous seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

I meant "no chance" more in the vernacular. Of course there is a chance but ai meant it wont happen.

If they win one of the two games in hand they are 12th. They are only in the bottom 3 because they have played 1 or 2 less games than those around them. They will be fine. 

I think they'll struggle to win more than two of the home games they've got left. That and the odd draw puts them on 31/32 points so they'll need an away win or two in the run in.

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Palace are on a very slippery slope and chucking all their eggs at a new manager bounce. 

Hodgson will pick up some wins though if he comes back. Make them tough to beat again. 

Edited by Tayls

• 2 weeks later...

Surely they’ll have to complete the case as soon as possible if it’s to affect this season? Otherwise there could be a scenario where Everton have mathematically survived, only to have points deducted and then not enough time to win enough more to survive again. 

They absolutely should be punished this season, I just don’t see how it can’t be affected immediately? 6 points is the going rate in the EFL, sometimes accompanied with a transfer ban. Both seem appropriate here, but at least do it now so everyone (Everton and their rivals) is aware of what’s required in order to survive as soon as possible. 

Good win for Bournemouth, they were being talked about as certainties for relegation, but three wins from the last six now, so making a good go of it.

West Ham and Leicester in the bottom three, but would expect West Ham to beat Southampton at home tomorrow, which would mean Everton dropping into the bottom three before playing Spurs at home on Monday.

52 minutes ago, useless said:

Good win for Bournemouth, they were being talked about as certainties for relegation, but three wins from the last six now, so making a good go of it.

West Ham and Leicester in the bottom three, but would expect West Ham to beat Southampton at home tomorrow, which would mean Everton dropping into the bottom three before playing Spurs at home on Monday.

I think Bournemouth will still go down unfo. Shows how impressive our win was last week

11 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Moyes getting sacked if they lose tommorow? Theyve still got there new manager bounce to play. 

They've got Newcastle, Fulham Arsenal next after Southampton  so not ideal. 

West Ham will not be going down. There are 3 worse teams at least and as you say, they still have the option of a new manager bounce.

Still expect Southampton, Bournemouth and Leeds to go but Leicester are in a free fall atm.

Hopefully we can push them closer to the drop as they have had their time in the sun for far too long now and need to piss off back to footballing irrelevance.