Jhon Durán

PieFacE

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They play different positions

Didn’t Rogers play up top for Boro yesterday? Maybe we think he can do a job there until end of season? Not like Duran has been particularly good starting games for us. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

It’d be a big shout for e.g. The Guardian to report today that West Ham had made an offer and we had knocked it back if they hadn’t actually done so. Especially given the journalist who wrote the piece is Jacob Steinberg who is as connected at West Ham as it gets.

Fair enough, not saying there hasn't been interest, just think us wanting to sell in the Jan window seems extremely unlikely. A loan maybe. Obviously only Unai and the club really know what their plans are.

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

But that is most likely b*llocks

the gutter press have hooked onto this narrative he is unhappy and difficult and Emery didn't sign him and has issues with him, there maybe some truth, but more likely it's just the dirt sheets trying to create a story that isn't there.

Im sorry but I don’t think that’s the case. If you think all is well with Duran and Villa behind the scenes then you’re probably going to be surprised soon enough.

I don’t even think he’s a bad player. I’m indifferent on him and accept the potential, I just think he’s an odd bloke. I’d rather we kept him for the future but all is not well and Villa are clearly inviting attention. 

Trying to think rationally about Duran I’ve seen him do four things in a year that have made me think he could be very very good. The volley against City and Palace he had a very sharp spin and shot against Warsaw I think and a good run and finish against O think Hibs. 

Beyond that there has been a lot of huff and bluster and not much else to get excited about. 

In terms of physical attributes it’s all there. He looks genuinely quick, strong and arguably has better technique than Watkins. He doesn’t know yet how to hold off a man properly but he can absolutely learn that in time given his frame.

His attitude is clearly a concern. He looks horrible to play with, constantly snarking at those around him which is mad coming from someone so clearly worse than everyone he’s playing with. It’s OK to be a bit mad but you have to be able to back it up. There are PLENTY of young players who come to the PL with an attitude to learn and prove themselves not thinking that they should be getting everything straight away. 

If he leaves I genuinely have no idea if we are losing nothing at all and saving ourselves from a big mistake OR if we are giving away the next big thing. He is probably good enough to play regularly in PL in 1/2 years but impossible to tell what his ceiling is and whether that PL team would be a top middle or bottom one. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Fair enough, not saying there hasn't been interest, just think us wanting to sell in the Jan window seems extremely unlikely. A loan maybe. Obviously only Unai and the club really know what their plans are.

To be clear I DON’T think we want to sell. I said the fact West Ham are actively bidding for him means he is unlikely to end up in the Championship, which had been suggested in the post I responded to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He looks horrible to play with, constantly snarking at those around him which is mad coming from someone so clearly worse than everyone he’s playing with

Not sure I see it exactly that way,  but I also think it's not mad. It makes perfect sense these days. In fact, it's one of the classic roles that seems to be commonplace in 2024 football --  the Discontented Up-and-Comer. He or she often seems to show up when the goals don't come. Tortured soul. Instagramadness. Lots of attention. Dressing room tales. Squad "allies" spring to their defense. Lots of forums getting into debates where they shame others for not having enough empathy or understanding -- or having too much and being too soft. It goes on, and if the goals come, it mostly stops.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He's played in nearly every game this season, except the ones he's not been fully fit for due to a toe infection. He'd have started 2 more games and come on as a sub in 2 others. He's coming on at closer to 60 minutes than 80 minutes now. We have another cup to play him in now, and as we get to the business stages of ECL he'll inevitably get league starts as we have to rotate ollie. 

Don't see it. I think we'll put Ollie out as much as possible. Perhaps if he gets an England call up in March that might alter thinking as we'll be playing so many games in April.

Once the games get very high stakes in last two months of the season then Ollie will be starting every single one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The signing didn't really make sense last year and still doesn't really IMO. He needs to be playing more but he is clearly at the moment not as good as Watkins and we only play one up front. 

A season-long loan at a decent championship club would test his development. I wouldn't read too much into JPA. Yes they both from the same city in Columbia but not sure how much they have in common as Angel is probably old enough to be his dad.

I think you will struggle with the type of business we do going forward.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Didn’t Rogers play up top for Boro yesterday? Maybe we think he can do a job there until end of season? Not like Duran has been particularly good starting games for us. 

Rogers will be more cover wide option. Gives us flexibility to stick one of Zaniolo, Bailey or Diaby through the middle if Ollie is out and we let Duran leave.

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Trying to think rationally about Duran I’ve seen him do four things in a year that have made me think he could be very very good. The volley against City and Palace he had a very sharp spin and shot against Warsaw I think and a good run and finish against O think Hibs. 

Beyond that there has been a lot of huff and bluster and not much else to get excited about. 

In terms of physical attributes it’s all there. He looks genuinely quick, strong and arguably has better technique than Watkins. He doesn’t know yet how to hold off a man properly but he can absolutely learn that in time given his frame.

His attitude is clearly a concern. He looks horrible to play with, constantly snarking at those around him which is mad coming from someone so clearly worse than everyone he’s playing with. It’s OK to be a bit mad but you have to be able to back it up. There are PLENTY of young players who come to the PL with an attitude to learn and prove themselves not thinking that they should be getting everything straight away. 

If he leaves I genuinely have no idea if we are losing nothing at all and saving ourselves from a big mistake OR if we are giving away the next big thing. He is probably good enough to play regularly in PL in 1/2 years but impossible to tell what his ceiling is and whether that PL team would be a top middle or bottom one. 

It's quite interesting Chelsea have loaned Fofana to Burnley. He has a similar profile to Duran in he scored a decent amount at Molde but struggled to do anything at Union Berlin and now they've put him out to Burnley to see if he can get to grips with premier league (probably so they can sell him on).

Perhaps that's where the link to Chelsea has actually come from but they still have Jackson, Nkunku and Broja in their squad so I don't really see it as credible. Unless they want us to take Broja on a loan with option to buy?

That would be a good loan for Duran to go to somewhere like Luton that play a direct style and get plenty of crosses in for the CFs to attack. Marv can look after him so I'd actually be approaching them to see if there's interest.

I think the idea that he's a bad egg doesn't hold much water. Falls apart when held up to any scrutiny, other than the echo chamber online of false information Duran seems a commited player, exciting prospect getting a few opportunities and progressing off the pitch. 

Think it's a bit daft of people who think he's a bad egg and we want to get rid, to also be posting links of him to AC Milan, Chelsea and West Ham as if it's evidence. Surely it points to the opposite, we're not making a profit on a lad who's barely broken into the first team 12 months after signing. The clubs linked will do due diligence and if there's whispers on a Villa forum about him having an attitude that will have reached recruitment staff at top clubs too. 

• Like 1

There's too much smoke around this guy man. Someone has to be feeding these stories. For such chat about a bloke the man on the street has never heard of, something doesn't ring true that he's happy here.

He's in the absolute best place for him and I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it was actually true.

Things here are calm , on the up, settled and consistent. 

If he wants to leave he's been horribly advised.

Relax yourself. You're 20 and playing for a top 4 club. Chill.

• Like 1

I recall a while back ( maybe on here? ) that he is highly rated across Europe, so maybe we signed him purely on potential, beating others to his signature ? Maybe this is what Chelsea and West Ham are still thinking about, because let’s be honest, has his form warranted a move to another prem league club? I don’t think it has tbh, and who knows - maybe we beat both clubs to his signature, and because they see he is not getting games, they feel it’s worth testing the water

And for the record - I like him and want him to stay with us. I would just add wind your neck in and learn from an elite coach and maybe you’ll reach your destination that much sooner 

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

I recall a while back ( maybe on here? ) that he is highly rated across Europe, so maybe we signed him purely on potential, beating others to his signature ? Maybe this is what Chelsea and West Ham are still thinking about, because let’s be honest, has his form warranted a move to another prem league club? I don’t think it has tbh, and who knows - maybe we beat both clubs to his signature, and because they see he is not getting games, they feel it’s worth testing the water

And for the record - I like him and want him to stay with us. I would just add wind your neck in and learn from an elite coach and maybe you’ll reach your destination that much sooner 

His form? He's barely had a start, but has still shown plenty for me.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

His form? He's barely had a start, but has still shown plenty for me.

I wouldn’t say plenty tbh - I would say enough to suggest he has a good future ahead of him. The ball is firmly in his court, pardon the pun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Get the feeling this thread is turning similar to Chuckwuemeka thread except this time the club is in a position of power 

That some fans have turned on a kid without knowing the full situation. Its quite familiar

• Like 2

As the player came as a project rather than the finished article it amazes me how much slagging happens. Not good enough etc etc. When if he isnt good enough then the blame can firmly be placed at the feet of Unai and his team. He is a work in progress, and  many other teams see the potential for him to become a really good player. 

• Like 1

Â