Mattéo Guendouzi

JayVTID

You’d think his relationship with Emery gets this over the line…that and a lot more money.

We wouldn’t be bidding if he wasn’t interested (that’s even if we’ve bid).

He’s the one I want more than most this January. I think he’ll really improve us in central midfield and is an upgrade of Luiz. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We wouldn’t be bidding if he wasn’t interested (that’s even if we’ve bid)

I think this is the key point. I don’t think we are bidding probably because he is not interested.

There were some initial rumours which was likely based on genuine interest and maybe convos with his agent but it seems to have died a death and the only noises being that he is not inclined to make the move. If we choose to believe the initial rumours why would we choose to disbelieve the ones that say he doesn’t fancy it?

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know about that there are mixed opinions but he was only a kid and raw so let’s give him the benefit of doubt but we can’t rewrite history, there are mixed opinions of his time at Arsenal.

Arsenal was a basketcase with the fans expecting them to win the title every season as Wenger just left but was a lot worse players at Arsenal in that time

He played nearly 50 games in his 1st season as Arsenal got to Europa final

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Arsenal was a basketcase with the fans expecting them to win the title every season as Wenger just left but was a lot worse players at Arsenal in that time

He played nearly 50 games in his 1st season as Arsenal got to Europa final

I can’t help it. I watch a lot of PL football like most on here and when watching him then I didn’t rate him, I thought he was quite poor and a dirty player in their midfield.  

Sounds like he has improved at Marseille which is great if we are buying him and I hope he’s a massive success.  

Doesn’t take away from what I saw of him at Arsenal which didn’t impress me and reading this thread some people agree with me and some people don’t.  That’s all fine, all that matters is what he does for us if he comes.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You’d think his relationship with Emery gets this over the line…that and a lot more money.

We wouldn’t be bidding if he wasn’t interested (that’s even if we’ve bid).

He’s the one I want more than most this January. I think he’ll really improve us in central midfield and is an upgrade of Luiz. 

Interesting.  If we are interested in him - I kind of think that UE might be looking to play Guendouzi, Lamara AND Luiz.  Three players who are all good on the ball, all are good at retaining possession, all good at progressing the ball, all decent defensively (to varying degrees).  I think the three of them could really help us keep hold of the ball when we win it back, knock it around to try and find space and then be capable of playing the balls into our more attack minded 3 to try and fashion chances.  I think they'd also help us win the ball back more often - if not directly through tackles, than in interceptions / mistakes / misplaced passes due to pressure, etc.

In my mind he's an upgrade on McGinn rather than an upgrade on Luiz.

I think it will mean that we'll have some really good options on the bench to influence matches too - I really do think that bringing someone like McGinn on for the last 20 - 30 minutes would be the sign of a pretty strong team.  It means that McGinn can do the kind of stuff that he is good at but in a much more concentrated period of time - hopefully meaning that he isn't spending the last 15 minutes dead on his feet. 

• Like 1

I thought he was very mobile and tenacious under Emery at Arsenal. He impressed me.
He got stuck in, won the ball and gave it to the flair guys. Hell of an engine on him too. If he fell away a bit under a new manager, well that can happen. Looks like he's added a bit more craft to his other qualities now and of course, experience.

I can totally understand why Emery would want him again. I hope we get him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

I thought he was very mobile and tenacious under Emery at Arsenal. He impressed me.
He got stuck in, won the ball and gave it to the flair guys. Hell of an engine on him too. If he fell away a bit under a new manager, well that can happen. Looks like he's added a bit more craft to his other qualities now and of course, experience.

I can totally understand why Emery would want him again. I hope we get him.

Technically very competent as well.

Posted it earlier in the thread but just as it relates to what is being discussed above, it's interesting that the below is his heatmap for last season:

image.png.6f3fa1f8759060c651d3e15d7e757eaa.png

He's more all over the midfield this time around, but in the above you can see he was actually quite often finding himself on the right hand side of midfield. This would lend itself to the idea that he, Kamara and Luiz could play together in the system being used since Emery came in, with Bailey (or whoever but he's been the one doing it currently) playing in front on the forward line but ostensibly as more of a winger/wide forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m a bit lost on this one. Didn’t he kind of flop at Arsenal and was considered a bit shit? I can’t say Ive seen him since so perhaps he has excelled. 

and he was a bit of a knob at Arsenal and cost £9m only 6 months ago?

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know about that there are mixed opinions but he was only a kid and raw so let’s give him the benefit of doubt but we can’t rewrite history, there are mixed opinions of his time at Arsenal.

He left Arsenal at the age of 21 - still a young footballer and after having fallen out with Arteta.  Since then, he's been a regular for Hertha Berlin and Marseille and become a more well-rounded midfielder; adding goals to his game and breaking into the France national team.  I'd say that's evidence of progressing rather than being a flop (bit young for that?!) or even being "a bit shit".

On @nick76's comment, Guendouzi was considered a huge talent.  I don't know where you're getting mixed opinions on that from?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and Ramsey would make an amazing long term core of a midfield. Plus Iroegbunam and AJ coming through as well.

This would just be a smart buy imo. We'd have a midfield that could get us top 6 locked in for 4 seasons. That would be pretty awesome. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and Ramsey would make an amazing long term core of a midfield. Plus Iroegbunam and AJ coming through as well.

This would just be a smart buy imo. We'd have a midfield that could get us top 6 locked in for 4 seasons. That would be pretty awesome. 

The problem is we don't have top 6 forwards or top 6 defenders ...

So I agree this would 'complete' our midfield, but we should absolutely be prioritising the other areas right now.

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The problem is we don't have top 6 forwards or top 6 defenders ...

So I agree this would 'complete' our midfield, but we should absolutely be prioritising the other areas right now.

Disagree. Midfield is the foundation for btoh attack and defence. And having a great midfield improves both.

Mings is more than good enough and I hope Carlos is as well. I assume we aren't interested in a CB because we have him coming back and emery wants to seem him play.

And I mean it's basically impossible to find the right wingers and strikers consistently. We just signed Duran. And we have Bailey and Buendia who are more than good enough for a top half team. We just need some rotation for them for when they are blowing cold or when they need subbing. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

On @nick76's comment, Guendouzi was considered a huge talent.  I don't know where you're getting mixed opinions on that from?

Dont know what to tell you but I disagree and reading this thread, others agree plus his attitude continued at next clubs.  I watched with my own eyes and you remember how they played both on tv and live when we played them....I was never impressed and thought he was dirty.  I'm hoping beyond hope that if we get him he is successful but opinions were mixed and below is some examples and I can see on the search there are just as many media saying good things at the time but certainly mixed opinions on him and interesting at the extreme ends but I guess that's to be expected for a young player....some people will see potential and rawness and others will see the flaws...

Just a few on performances from the media back then and I just picked the top ones but loads of articles

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/15/arsenal-matteo-guendouzi-thrive-learns-cautionary-tales

Guendouzi would offset promising performances with wayward passes and positional errors. 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/matteo-guendouzi-marseille-arsenal-move-26364070

But he fell out of favour with Mikel Arteta, the player being criticised for having a bad attitude and work-rate.

The Spaniard sent him on loan to Hertha Berlin last campaign, where he struggled for form

On his attitude continuing after leaving Arsenal, again I just picked one as an example

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/matteo-guendouzi-arsenal-marseille-problems-25095620

Matteo Guendouzi's temperament is causing unwanted headlines once again as the 22-year-old midfielder sparked a very public spat with Marseille teammate Gerson.

Again if we sign him then lets hope it's the positives and whatever performance he's doing in France and under the management of Emery he can be a real success but we cant rewrite history saying there werent mixed opinions of his time at Arsenal.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Again if we sign him then lets hope it's the positives and whatever performance he's doing in France and under the management of Emery he can be a real success but we cant rewrite history saying there werent mixed opinions of his time at Arsenal.

Emery knows the player well, so I'd trust his judgement over some clickbait news articles. 

Edited by Made In Aston

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Villa would never make an offer unless they were certain he would sign. I suspect that the noise is more to do with negotiation tactics. If we agree a fee, he will sign. 100%.

Didn't we agree a deal with Watford, before Sarr or his agent decided that our offer didn't satisfy him? That said, I would be surprised if Guendouzi decided against a move to us (if a deal is there to be made) given his relationship with UE.   

5 minutes ago, John said:

Didn't we agree a deal with Watford, before Sarr or his agent decided that our offer didn't satisfy him? That said, I would be surprised if Guendouzi decided against a move to us (if a deal is there to be made) given his relationship with UE.   

I thought it was Stevie that pulled the plug on that one?

29 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Emery knows the player well, so I'd trust his judgement over some clickbait news articles. 

So do I, hence why I have been more positive in some posts but I can still be nervous about buying him because unlike a lot of foreign players I have actually watched a lot of Guendouzi but it was in his Arsenal days so I have my own opinion and not just clickbait news articles.  I do trust Emery and if he thinks Guendouzi is the right player then I'll back him 100%, it doesnt mean I dont trust him but also doesnt mean I cant be nervous.

Â