The "I wish I was there" thread (live music)

PieFacE

Yay another music thread!

So I know many VTer's are avid gig goers. So this is a thread to dump videos of gigs/concerts you really wish you went to. I know everyone has a different preference of live shows they like, some like arenas, some like small intimate gigs, some like festivals etc. Personally I quite like "big" sounding bands in small venues and great festival acts. Never really been a fan of arena gigs. 

So i'll kick things off with...

Iconic festival moment. Could pick any track from this set but always loved the crowd interaction on this track. Definitely wish I was there for this.

And also a big sounding band in small venue, one of my favourite NIN tracks from what looks like a small venue (for NIN at least). 

Do you have any gigs/concerts where you really wish you were there?

• Like 2

George Jones had a public funeral service at the Grand Old Opry House and a few people gave tributes to him. One of which was Alan Jackson who performed a teary, but fantastic version of He stopped loving her today. I wish I could have been there.

I wish I'd seen the Foos headline Glastonbury. I watched it on the TV (not being a massive Foos fan, but appreciating them), and man, Dave Grohl had the crowd in the palm of his hands. 

On a different tangent, gigs i've been to that other people keep telling me they wish they'd gone to- Radiohead at Glasto 97, REM at Glasto 99. Those were the two best gigs I've ever been to. 

I dont have many gigs where I wish I was there, I have been fortunate enough to be at the ones where I thought, well this is something special. I potentially regret not seeing Teenage Fanclub or Jesus and Mary Chain in their chaotic early years, as opposed to their polished later years. I have been on VT for approaching 14 years and its only @mjmooneygig experience I get close to being envious of, when he mentions a band or a singer he saw, I get a little envious of that. Not jealousy, envy. 

• Like 2

I know I've done this one on here before, but what the heck. 

I had a ticket for the infamous Sex Pistols/Clash/Damned/Johnny Thunders 'Anarchy Tour' gig at Leeds Poly in 1976 - one of the few that weren't cancelled, and one which has passed into legend for those who were there. I think it cost 90p. 

I got off the bus outside the venue - and bumped into a mate who was heading for the pub. I decided that was a better option, and chucked the ticket into a wastepaper bin. After all, I could always catch the Pistols next time they came round, couldn't I? 

Now, I probably didn't miss much, musically speaking, but as an 'event'... 

• Like 3

For this performance alone I'd like to have been at this concert. I've spoke to people who were there and said before this they saw George Michael as little more than a good pop/R&B singer songwriter but he blew everyone away with this performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

For this performance alone I'd like to have been at this concert. I've spoke to people who were there and said before this they saw George Michael as little more than a good pop/R&B singer songwriter but he blew everyone away with this performance. 

I was at the Tribute concert and it was a phenomenal lineup with some great performances (including George Michael) and some really shonky moments (particularly Elton John and Liza Minelli!) 

I was deemed too young (11yrs old) by my folks when they played Wembley in 1986 which was gutting as I loved Queen back then so I suppose that’s one I wish I’d been at. 

I’ve been lucky to have seen most of the bands I’ve wanted to see. 

However I would’ve loved to have seen Elvis in Vegas 😅

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I watch this video on an almost-monthly basis.

I am in that crowd, it’s filmed from the Sydney “Big Day Out”.

Sadly later that evening there was a crowd crush during the Limp Bizkit set and a girl was killed. It changed the way crowd control was managed at big gigs, at least in Australia. 

Paramore are coming to Birmingham in April so not long after my birthday, I don't know when it happened but at some point, for some strange reason they have become one of my favourite bands and I am always listening to them, I would love to go and see them but am I **** paying £70 for the privilege.

But as far as the "I wish I was there" I would have been 11 when this happened, I remember listening and recording to it on the radio, I still have the cassette knocking around somewhere and I'm surprised it still plays because it has taken an absolute hammering over the years.

I would have been 1 when this one happened and I don't think I need to say much aside from posting the link...

• Like 1

If anyone knows the early Kings of Leon records you'll see that on the b side to their first single mollys Chambers includes a live recording of Holly roller novacaine from Birmingham (another single had a live recording of mollys Chambers from brum)

They'd released one EP before that brum show, I hadn't listened to them but 2 lads from 6th form went, I turned it down

They played academy 3 in front of 200 people and those 2 lads assure me they were mind blowingly good

KOL are the one that got away for me, them and the strokes, love both but never seen either

Edited by villa4europe

I'm the same with oaramore, they've got foals and bloc party supporting so I looked at getting my wife tickets but like **** I'm paying £70 for them

See also fleetwood mac and Elton John, really wanted to see them but they were over £100 for seating

Â