Gerard Deulofeu

Tom13

16 hours ago, messi11 said:

You're looking at the wrong stats. Gerard Deulofeu's been insane in Serie A for the last 2 seasons now. He's got better with age. This signing would be the equivalent of taking one of the side's below the top 6 talisman (Zaha, Trossard, Maddison type signing). Would be an incredible business for Villa! 
2.73 chances created per 90. No one comes close to that in the whole of Serie A. Only KDB is better in the PL at 2.94 chances created per 90.

image.png

image.png

Yeah but he'll be assisting Watkins so his chances created will have to go up to about 6 a game to hope to get an assist 😂

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Rolta said:

Are we doing that 'forming strong opinions when we've barely seen him play' path again?

I'm not sure we do very well when we do that.

?

No.....just forming opinions on his previous stats.

its a forum......where we share opinions.

Judging by our lose 1 or 2 win 1 or 2 pattern.....I'm not sure we do very well, period.

ps who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised, by his recent improvement.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah but he'll be assisting Watkins so his chances created will have to go up to about 6 a game to hope to get an assist 😂

Funny thing is, Deulofeu's finishing has been suspect this season as well and its a big reason why he's only on 2 goals this season. His conversion rate is 1 goal every 22 shots so far, twice as bad as Watkins and worse than every other player in our team this season who's scored at least one goal.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

19 hours ago, duke313 said:

People claiming to be “underwhelmed” or that we are “lacking ambition” by this signing need to understand, this is exactly the type of signing Emery makes. His Villarreal team was littered with Premier League rejects.  If Emery wants him, I trust his judgment.

This x1000. This is exactly how Emery works. No sense being happy about our manager and moaning about underwhelming signings.

21 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This x1000. This is exactly how Emery works. No sense being happy about our manager and moaning about underwhelming signings.

I get that.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see won't we......I am not opposed to a few  journeymen( if thats the right expression) turning out to be a good team.....we've seen it before.

because many of the ones we have right now, can't find any consistency.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get that.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see won't we......I am not opposed to a few  journeymen( if thats the right expression) turning out to be a good team.....we've seen it before.

because many of the ones we have right now, can't find any consistency.

That lad Peter Withe we signed from the Second Division did ok in the end ;)

21 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

That lad Peter Withe we signed from the Second Division did ok in the end ;)

Look, I totally agree.....and that lad Vardy wasn't a bad buy for Leicester.

We have done it too, with Kamara, Luiz and Martinez....( not lower division, but a free or not wanted by their clubs) but some have just not stepped up as much.

but we have to do it more.....the odd good player, won't build a team.....we have made too many, misses, particularly with wingers.

and we need to do it in all posistions.

I don't want to beat anyone with a stick...but teams like Newcastle, and Fulham, have bought really well....They have rounded players.

We have players in our team, better than some teams above, in certain aspects of their credentials......but they are above us for a reason.

We need to examine, why we have some very skilful players, but only manange to win followed buy a loss, on a regular basis....its not luck, there is a reason to it.

Take one random example.....Sean Longstaff at Newcastle, we wouldn't dream of signing him, or a player like him, if he was available, yet settled in a side, in the top 4.....We had Des Bremner in 1980/81, not a great footballer, but did a great job...a crucial job...and 2 other contrasting midfielders with skill.

My point is, if we focus on just their footballing talents alone, without appreciation of any other attributes, we will be mid table for yonks.....Fighters, get to the top spots, not show ponies.( just making extreme examples to make the point)

PS I could be wrong and Gerard Deulofeu, could prove to be good if we sign him.....thats the gamble....I would sooner have Solly March or Harvey Barnes.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Send Archer on loan. Get Deulofeu for £15 Million. That's good business. 

Means we will have 4 of these setting on the bench (When fit) to bring on.

Deulofeu
Bailey

Buendia
Coutinho

Ramsey 
Mcginn

Watkins
Ings

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Moaning about consistency when in the last two months you've said:

1. You doubt anyone could do better than Gerrard with this squad.

2. Ollie lacks ability but is more talented than Andy Grey.

3. Luiz doesn't impose himself on games.

And the list goes on. I honestly wonder if you're more interested in finding a problem than being intrigued by a solution, which ironically is something you berate other posters for.

At this point (given how concerned you were with any manager after SG doing better than he did), do you not have some trust in Emery after 3 wins from 4 very tough games? At some point you have to have some faith that if the one man who is undoubtedly performing above expectations wants Deulofeu, he should get backed.

Smack on.

"Well, we'll just have to wait and see won't we"

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Thug said:

No, no, no.

They just have somebody who knows how to use those players.

You could have swapped Cash for Trippier, or Kamara for Longstaff, or Watkins for Wilson, or even all 3 - and Newcastle would still be where they are, and we'd still be where we are, because Stevie G didn't have a **** clue.

And you'd still be here writing the same post, that Newcastle had bought really well, and we had bought poorly.

You underestimate the importance of a good manager.  Newcastle got Howe, we got a fraud.  THAT's the real difference.

A good manager knows what he needs and how to use them.  If Emery wants Delefeu, then I'd be confident that he knows why, and I wouldn't question it.  I would be confident that it was because he felt that player had the right attributres to perform a role.

That's not to say that he won't buy some duds, but that's just life.

Gerard Deulefeu could turn out to be a good buy, and yes, we have to trust the manager, as we always do.

I am not arguing with you....and your example is valid......but,  are you saying Conte has lost his touch, LVG was no good at United, and ancelloti, couldn't make a fist of it at Everton....There are as many examples of good managers, not turning things around.

Eddie Howe never won a game, until the Jan window opened and he signed players, which helped him stop the rot.

Its a combination, of good manager, and good players....and appropriate players.

I am just being devils advocate, but why didn't we set up against Liverpool and Utd away in the cup?. like we did yesterday.....I guess, he is learning what we can and can't do.

I am with you....I will support UE in his buys and that includes Gerrard Deulefeu, on the basis, that he has earned the status of Elite Manager.

However, We have a long way to go, yet....but the signs are bright, very bright.....so in essence, I agree.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am just being devils advocate, but why didn't we set up against Liverpool and Utd away in the cup?. like we did yesterday.....I guess, he is learning what we can and can't do.

We set up great at Liverpool. I don’t understand the criticism of the high line in that game. It’s a weakness of liverpools and we created more than enough chances to take something from the game. 

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

We set up great at Liverpool. I don’t understand the criticism of the high line in that game. It’s a weakness of liverpools and we created more than enough chances to take something from the game. 

Definitely we should have earned a point at the least. 3 defensive lapses is what resulted in their goals. We actually carved out 4 or 5 clear cut chances.

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Definitely we should have earned a point at the least. 3 defensive lapses is what resulted in their goals. We actually carved out 4 or 5 clear cut chances.

Exactly! The high line worked as intended but we couldn’t finish the chances. Baileys chances were very presentable but he missed the effin ball. Grrr

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

sadly, I don't agree...They missed as many as we did...it was like the OK corral

but we are off topic here....we need to get back to Gerrard Deulofeu.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've seen it questioned a lot why we didn't set up the same vs Liverpool as we did yesterday, but the whole dynamic of that game changed when Liverpool scored so early. It would have been counterintuitive to keep it tight and play with 6 across the back line out of possession when we were one goal down at home.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

sadly, I don't agree...They missed as many as we did...it was like the OK corral

but we are off topic here....we need to get back to Gerrard Deulofeu.

It was like a basketball game but on Deulofeu I have my reservations based on the times I have seen him in the Premier League. He's done well in Italy but the premier league is more intense and he doesn't seem like an improvement on what we already have. But I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

Â