Gerard Deulofeu

Tom13

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If we go for him it shows the lack of ambition the club have. 

Could it not that he is a player that our manager wants and our board are backing him? 

Just now, av1 said:

Could it not that he is a player that our manager wants and our board are backing him? 

Could be but its another journeyman footballer on our books imo. I could be wrong and he might do a good job. 

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Never pulled up any trees at Everton and Watford, by his stats.

Never studied him really......

are we pursuing, "no better that what we have" , path, again?

Are we doing that 'forming strong opinions when we've barely seen him play' path again?

I'm not sure we do very well when we do that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Could be but its another journeyman footballer on our books imo. I could be wrong and he might do a good job. 

You might be right mate, but unless the club are making signings without our manager’s approval I think it’s harsh to claim that the club are lacking ambition. 

If this is a guy the manager wants and we sign him, that’s a good thing imo. 

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes 29 in March hes had one half decent season in the Premier League. I dont care what he has done in Seria A its underwhelming. 

Better than what we have. He's the finished article! We not buying him for potential. 

• Like 1

I can imagine the reaction if we were linked to this player under Gerrard, it wouldn't be positive.

By the time next season starts he will be 29 and before that season has finished with be 30.

He also seems to be quite injury prone.

All that said in the here and now and in of himself he is a good player, and would probably back him to provide more goals and assists than Buendia.

So wouldn't be too disappointed if we signed him, but feels like we should be going for slightly younger players.

'but feels like we should be going for slightly younger players.' 🧐 maybe we will in addition to Deulofeu.

Don't really get people moaning about Deulofeu, even if you think he's not an upgrade on Bailey, he's certianly an upgrade on only having one wide player. Deulofeu left, Coutinho/Buendia as a 10 and Bailey right is a lot better than putting someone wide left who isn't a winger/wide forward.

Yes he's 28, so it's not a super long term signing. We should get 3 or 4 very good years out of him though barring injury and he's been excellent at Udinese. That in itself is a good sign he's quality, Udinese have been consistently excellent in their recruitment for a long time.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes 29 in March hes had one half decent season in the Premier League. I dont care what he has done in Seria A its underwhelming. 

The Premier League season he got 10 goals or the other season he got 9 assists?

He only played 4 full seasons in the Premier League so which of these 2 seasons was the half good season?

• Haha 1

I feel like I’ve seen enough of Deulofeu to know what to expect, a very creative player at times but marred by inconsistency and often lacking a final product. From memory he was very good at Watford one season but not so great the next and they were relegated. He was also very hit and miss at Everton for a couple of seasons. Always saw him as a “nearly” player… nearly a top player but never seems to materialise and ends up disappointing in the end. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I feel like I’ve seen enough of Deulofeu to know what to expect, a very creative player at times but marred by inconsistency and often lacking a final product. From memory he was very good at Watford one season but not so great the next and they were relegated. He was also very hit and miss at Everton for a couple of seasons. Always saw him as a “nearly” player… nearly a top player but never seems to materialise and ends up disappointing in the end. 

Almost like we should never have loaned out traore...

Agree with those saying he's better than what we've got because we haven't actually got 2 wingers at the club, he'll balance us as much as anything else, maybe not the superstar player to get us to the promised land but looks like if we can get a tune out of him he's good ebough to get us a few places higher up the league

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Only De Bruyne has created more chances than him in open play from the top leagues this season, and he's also in the top 1% in Europe for making chances from dead balls. Plus he's fast, puts up high numbers for dribbling etc.

Don't really see how it demonstrates a lack of "ambition", which just seems to be a thing people say when they personally don't like the idea of a signing. Especially if Emery is a big fan I don't see the issue to be honest.

Buendia was in the top 4 for chances created in the PL with Norwich.

Dont worry, we would soon beat any pretence of chance creation out of Deulofeu...... 😁

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Almost like we should never have loaned out traore...

Agree with those saying he's better than what we've got because we haven't actually got 2 wingers at the club, he'll balance us as much as anything else, maybe not the superstar player to get us to the promised land but looks like if we can get a tune out of him he's good ebough to get us a few places higher up the league

Yeah I think this window will be getting what Emery needs right now that he hasn't got as an option in the squad. Then summer will be about longer term team building. Deulofeu fills a winger shaped hole in the squad, if we sign 2 top class wingers int he summer we'll have Bailey and Deulofeu as options off the bench. Not a bad place to be as a worst case...

• Like 1

His record in terms of goals and assists in the Premier League is pretty good, twenty goals and twenty for assists in 7356 minutes of football, and looks like he's been equally as good in Serie A, if not more so. And also he's the type of player that offers more than goals and assists, so can't just go by those stats.

Was going to say he was a favorite amongst Everton and Watford fans alike, but had a look at old thread on Everton forum and saw them complaing about his diving, lack of tracking back and pressing, inconsistency (comparisons to Barkley), constant references to him being out of breath in games and having 'paper lungs'.

Edited by useless

5 minutes ago, useless said:

His record in terms of goals and assists in the Premier League is pretty good, twenty goals and twenty for assists in 7356 minutes of football, and looks like he's been equally as good in Serie A, if not more so. And also he's the type of player that offers more than goals and assists, so can't just go by those stats.

Was going to say he was a favorite amongst Everton and Watford fans alike, but had a look at old thread on Everton forum and saw them complaing about his diving, lack of tracking back and pressing, inconsistency (comparisons to Barkley), constant references to him being out of breath in games and having 'paper lungs'.

Just what we need.

It's a no thanks from me.

People claiming to be “underwhelmed” or that we are “lacking ambition” by this signing need to understand, this is exactly the type of signing Emery makes. His Villarreal team was littered with Premier League rejects.  If Emery wants him, I trust his judgment.

• Like 2

To be fair he did go on to do pretty well since leaving Everton, that was five years ago now, and not every Everton fan was negative, to be honest a lot of the comments reminded me of the way some Villa fans talk about Traore.

Â