João Félix

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But so we could’ve got Haaland in the summer or get Bellingham next summer but the odds on all these are so remote it’s not worth talking about.  One is a mathematical probability, the other is reality.

Exactly...we will always be interested in this level of player, unfortunately they seem less so in us.

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

La Liga ain’t what it used to be. Atletico are massively in debt, we aren’t. Just ask Diego why he left Sevilla for here. He’s a Mendes client like Don Unai. We are filthy rich. 

Not filthy rich in that category, though.

For a 29 year old defender looking for a big deal?  Sure.  But a young, rising star?  Probably not.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I’m not saying it will happen. But there’s been good reasons stated as to why it could happen

Has there? He's on about £100,000 more than our highest earner, I've not seen anyone suggest how we would overcome that issue.

The ONLY way this happens if it's some sort of dodgy transfer deal involving Mendes.

• Like 2

Just now, duke313 said:

Has there? He's on about £100,000 more than our highest earner, I've not seen anyone suggest how we would overcome that issue.

The ONLY way this happens if it's some sort of dodgy transfer deal involving Mendes.

We pay top wages. We pretty much matched City for Grealish’s wages and the club is in a healthy state financially. There’s a strong working relationship with his representatives. If we are looking at such names then we are probably going to shift some names too. The transfer fee is going to be much lower than what Atletico paid given their financial problems. Like, if Wolves can get Neves in the Championship, stranger things have happened.

Why are alleged shows of ambition immediately shot down? (This isn’t aimed at you, just more general musings). 

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We are filthy rich. 

In comparison to other PL teams?

If everything is true about atletico being broke and him being up for sale that's one thing but coming from a league winning CL chasing la liga team to a mid table PL team is another, we wouldn't be alone in trying to sign him and you can give whatever sales pitch you want about owner ambition we all know that we don't compete when factors like London and CL football are offered

That said can you imagine if we had the players who were the 3rd and 4th most expensive transfers of all time on our books? Madness

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

In comparison to other PL teams?

If everything is true about atletico being broke and him being up for sale that's one thing but coming from a league winning CL chasing la liga team to a mid table PL team is another, we wouldn't be alone in trying to sign him and you can give whatever sales pitch you want about owner ambition we all know that we don't compete when factors like London and CL football are offered

That said can you imagine if we had the players who were the 3rd and 4th most expensive transfers of all time on our books? Madness

Those are fair points. I don’t think it will happen. But for the factors mentioned, I think there’s a realistic possibility - it really just comes down to the whims of Mendes (which I’m not totally comfortable with). 

A big ambitious transfer has been something I’m sure NSWE have considered for a long time. And they are prepared to dip their pockets. This is a broader point but I don’t see us getting Unai unless he’s been promised some big signings also. Especially to leave Villarreal before his contract ran down. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We pay top wages. We pretty much matched City for Grealish’s wages and the club is in a healthy state financially. There’s a strong working relationship with his representatives. If we are looking at such names then we are probably going to shift some names too. The transfer fee is going to be much lower than what Atletico paid given their financial problems. Like, if Wolves can get Neves in the Championship, stranger things have happened.

Why are alleged shows of ambition immediately shot down? (This isn’t aimed at you, just more general musings). 

But since Grealish left, we signed Coutinho, Digne, Carlos and Kamara all on top wages, along with high earners Bailey and Ings and new contract for Martinez.  I don't think we currently have the wage budget to offer Joao Felix about £250,000 a week, we just aren't at that level.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Do we?  I'd be very surprised if we had anyone over £200k/wk.

Â