World Cup: Matches

Genie

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I see the point of artificially inflated xG. I get what you're saying @Genie

You see non-penalty xG around a lot, and it's a much better barometer of who's been better in the game IMO.

It's more or less level on the npxG which feels about right. It was an even game. I think England edged it.

First time England have failed to create a "big chance" (whatever metric xGpsdna uses for that) since we got knocked out in 2018.  Quite a feat.

Excluding the pens, surely Kane through on Lloris in first half is classed as a big chance?

O.k perhaps the angle was a little narrow  but he's scored from tighter positions in the past and if he lifts it slighter higher it's going in as don't think any French defenders were getting back in time to clear off the line.

It was a very good save regardless.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You just know spurs are going to get a pen against us when we play and then their will be a big wankfest that he scores the pen.

If that happens it's probably a good strategy for Martinez to assume Kane will hit it low :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Excluding the pens, surely Kane through on Lloris in first half is classed as a big chance?

Yeah I'd have thought it would, xG is only 0.16 for it though so that suggests it wasn't as good of a chance as we thought

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's staggering that Morocco haven't actually had an opposition player score against them yet in this World Cup - and they've played Croatia, Belgium, Canada, Spain and Portugal.

Yeh fair play to them. Rode their luck at times but have been pretty solid overall. They’ve actually got a lot of players that play at the highest level.  Would be an amazing story if they won the World Cup. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh fair play to them. Rode their luck at times but have been pretty solid overall. They’ve actually got a lot of players that play at the highest level.  Would be an amazing story if they won the World Cup. 

Yes I hope they win it now. Although I will be amazed if they beat France. 

It's not impossible, I think it will be close although of course France have more individual qualities to decide games as we saw on Saturday.

However Hakimi has been one of the players of the tournament and is a teammate of Mbappe so he could be well suited to keeping him reasonably quiet and they can sit Amrabat on Greizmann. Just a shame for them that Saiss is out as him and Giroud would be a good battle, really need to get the Bayern guy fit and in the backline otherwise it's a very makeshift defence.

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

A more startling stat is that Croatia and Sweden have been to as many World Cup semis as England have in history.

Not sure if its still held but for a while Sweden vs Brazil was randomly the most played game in World Cup history

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not sure if its still held but for a while Sweden vs Brazil was randomly the most played game in World Cup history

Played them twice in 1994 and the ref had to help them in the semi-final. 

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Played them twice in 1994 and the ref had to help them in the semi-final. 

For some reason, whenever i think of the Sweden '94 team, I always think of a player called Mild? Don't know why. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

For some reason, whenever i think of the Sweden '94 team, I always think of a player called Mild? Don't know why. 

His penalty against Romania had the same trajectory as Kane's had. And he was involved in this beauty.

Best Brolin GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 16:15, VillaChris said:

Without reading too much reaction I just thought it was a really good England performance. Same as how we can play well v likes of Chelsea but still lose the game.

Get used to that changing now we have an actual winner in charge. Same would happen with England if they hired a winner, instead of Southgate who prioritises his favourites over players who will actually decide crucial games.