World Cup: Matches

Genie

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That's true, but we left players on the bench who could have probably caused them a lot of problems.

I'm not completely anti Sterling / Saka / Rashford, but for me they're players who belong in tough fixtures where you'll need to defend as an 11 and might get counter attacking chances. When oppo is keeping it tight, surely you want players like Foden and Grealish on the pitch, who can unlock a stacked defence.

I agree. Poor management. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Emery ball can’t come back quick enough after that

Exactly. This is as frustrating as watching Gerrard make a decent squad of Villa players look like relegation contenders.

Southgate is fine as a spokesman / figurehead, but tactically he just doesn't have it, and never has. He is going to waste a really top generation of English talent by never reading the game properly.

It's not like he makes massive mistakes, but he doesn't see what's happening in each game properly. He doesn't judge when you can go for the jugular, and when you need to sit back and soak up the pressure. He just gets it wrong every time, but gets away with it because more often than not we have the quality to dig him out of the hole... until we face a decent side with a decent manager (which will happen at some point).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Emery ball can’t come back quick enough after that

It's very jarring going from watching a clueless manager who has absolutely no tactical awareness to a proper coach with tactical nous and then back to watching a different clueless manager again.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Exactly. This is as frustrating as watching Gerrard make a decent squad of Villa players look like relegation contenders.

Southgate is fine as a spokesman / figurehead, but tactically he just doesn't have it, and never has. He is going to waste a really top generation of English talent by never reading the game properly.

It's not like he makes massive mistakes, but he doesn't see what's happening in each game properly. He doesn't judge when you can go for the jugular, and when you need to sit back and soak up the pressure. He just gets it wrong every time, but gets away with it because more often than not we have the quality to dig him out of the hole... until we face a decent side with a decent manager (which will happen at some point).

Southgate doesn't have the balls to let his players play free and express themselves as unique and creative players. It's negative nothingness and a real shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Could you envisage Southgate motivating anyone? Cos I certainly couldn't. Absolute fraud indeed.

I remember back to the days when I was a steward.....95 or 96 season....we played sheff wed and I was walking up the old players tunnel as the teams lined up. The sheff captain turned around to his team and shouted "let's effing get stuck in and 'ave em !!!!" (can't remember who it was...northern bloke, centre half perhaps ?)......southgate responded by calmly raising his voice a bit and said "OK guys, let's keep focused" and clapped his hands twice - twice, mind !

Not the most inspirational or stirring message I have to say. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I remember back to the days when I was a steward.....95 or 96 season....we played sheff wed and I was walking up the old players tunnel as the teams lined up. The sheff captain turned around to his team and shouted "let's effing get stuck in and 'ave em !!!!" (can't remember who it was...northern bloke, centre half perhaps ?)......southgate responded by calmly raising his voice a bit and said "OK guys, let's keep focused" and clapped his hands twice - twice, mind !

Not the most inspirational or stirring message I have to say. 

Peter Atherton! 

Was that the Regi Blinker game?

• Like 2

So easy to see weak teachers/managers, couple of days,  as a pupil, in a inner city comprehensive school and you just know who the victims are going to be ........ Southgate im sorry son, nice bloke wrong job.  

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

So Safegate is now saying when questioned about Foden. " if I brought on Foden people would be asking why I did not bring on different forward'. But we wouldn't, we really wouldn't! Everyone could see we needed Foden.

Yet In the euros everyone was saying why isn't he playing grealish. He can't keep everybody happy. Greslish has am impact Rushford didn't. Foden who knows 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I wouldn't say you outplayed us. Both poor teams, that's what made it a boring game!!

I guess it depends on how you define “outplayed.” America played well beyond expectations, and England fell well short of them. The first half was a negative affair, I agree, but in the second half, the excitement levels rose as the USA realised England handn’t brought its famously robust, aggressive, ingenious midfield to this match. There were some pretty nervy drinking holes in New York and London.

• Like 1

What's up with Maddison? I know people are saying he's injured but Kyle Walker was supposed to be and he's been on the bench for these opening games.

Southgate makes some odd decisions with creatives, had Grealish for most of last euros getting bizarre treatment as opposed to this tournament where he's coming on regularly, Foden fit but unused sub and Maddison.

One thing's for sure, England won't be doing much while Sterling and Mount continue to start, both had poor seasons so far at Chelsea so see how long before Southgate takes the hint on them.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And that to me is why he's not a £100m signing for a top CL challenging side

His off the ball movement and showing for the ball when we have possession isn't good enough

Gareth will no doubt be pining for Phillips to sit in the same space because that somehow makes it better

I felt for Rice tonight. He had to cover and protect that entire back four on his own. He had no help at all. How the hell did Safegate get that midfield balance so wrong and even worse, not rectify it at all!?

Rice was left out to dry by his inept clueless manager. An absolute shocking manager who so don't wish on any team when his international career is over. An absolute fraud but, hey, he says the right FA shite, right?

16 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I felt for Rice tonight. He had to cover and protect that entire back four on his own. He had no help at all. How the hell did Safegate get that midfield balance so wrong and even worse, not rectify it at all!?

Rice was left out to dry by his inept clueless manager. An absolute shocking manager who so don't wish on any team when his international career is over. An absolute fraud but, hey, he says the right FA shite, right?

Be interesting when the books come out in the future and find what certain individuals really thought of this clueless clown. 

Edited by sheepyvillian