Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Same here, I was initially underwhelmed, but it has grown and grown on me.

The more i see it, the more i " get it ".

Especially when looking at our crest on media, the new one has good contrast, says ASTON VILLA and is clean.

Yes, the current animal cracker lion looks like complete garbage on TV compared to newer more modern badges. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There is no Universe where that is better than the incoming one.

All-New Aston Villa Logo Launched - Footy Headlines

I came to this thread to say I now have my doubts about the boring new round badge and have taken to liking the “new old” badge again.

But then I saw this and realised no I do actually prefer the new badge.

thank you for listening. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I married a graphic designer and find this sort of stuff really interesting. 

my favorite part is reintroducing a deeper shade of yellow as an accent color. The current version is washed out, but a deep yellow pops with claret & blue. Would love to see the new yellow used as piping on a shirt, similar to how Liverpool used their YNWA green from their crest on a shirt a couple years ago.

Agreed, I've always wanted us to integrate more gold and claret into our kits... To differentiate ourselves from the imitation Claret and Blues etc.

This is a very petty reason ( one of a few ) why Burnley coming up irritates me.

Whenever casual mates mistake West Ham, Burnley, Scunthorpe etc for us it really grinds my gears.

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

Only the fans to blame. They had one great modern option and one retro nostalgic one and they picked the one I don't like but most others did by a landslide. 

FTFY 

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There is no Universe where that is better than the incoming one.

All-New Aston Villa Logo Launched - Footy Headlines

Also if I remember correctly this old badge was done by the club without consultation.  If that was the case, then those who wanted the new one done by professionals can clearly see that although it sometimes it works, in our case and others, when not controlled you get poor badges like our old one or the Leeds one, even our gas lamp one was poor. Thankfully the right one was picked.

IMG_1590.jpeg

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Also if I remember correctly this old badge was done by the club without consultation.  If that was the case, then those who wanted the new one done by professionals can clearly see that although it sometimes it works, in our case and others, when not controlled you get poor badges like our old one or the Leeds one, even our gas lamp one was poor. Thankfully the right one was picked.

IMG_1590.jpeg

The Leeds one here is an abomination but that doesn't prove anything. I saw you edited my post a few pages back and effectively said the new badge was original and a masterpiece. I'm sure you said it a bit tongue in cheek, but it's about as far away from original as could be. The alternative was there in front of our eyes. A sihouette that would actually more or less have been original—now we just have another round badge. I admit the new badge looks OK in the mockups, but it's so dull and uninspiring.

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

The reason things are “corporate” are because they sell, attract to the greatest audience and work well on many platforms, media and templates.  There is a reason why so many companies use simple stuff for logos and badges.

"Corporate" is never a positive adjective. All yer waffle isn't going to change that! 😛

The badge isn't offensive to me. It is better than the old one, but it's also just uninspired and lame. It also has a lot of wasted space in its design and, yep, as others have said, just looks like a boring template—because it pretty much is one!

52 minutes ago, Rolta said:

"Corporate" is never a positive adjective. All yer waffle isn't going to change that! 😛

The badge isn't offensive to me. It is better than the old one, but it's also just uninspired and lame. It also has a lot of wasted space in its design and, yep, as others have said, just looks like a boring template—because it pretty much is one!

“Corporate” maybe not be positive adjective in your eyes but generally always business successful across markets and industries. 😉😜

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

“Corporate” maybe not be positive adjective in your eyes but generally always business successful across markets and industries. 😉😜

I'm talking about the use of the English language. 'Corporate' is a synonym for soulless (in this context—in design).

And not all corporations are successful anyway, and plenty of 'corporate' things are pants—so the point doesn't stand at all!

Edited by Rolta

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm talking about the use of the English language. 'Corporate' is a synonym for soulless (EDIT: in this context, in design). And not all corporations are successful, and plenty of 'corporate' things are pants—so the point doesn't stand at all!

My point does stand though…ok so you are using the word ‘Corporate’ in a negative connotation but that can be done with many words when you could’ve just used the word you mean ‘soulless’. ‘Corporate’ to me means successful and while no always appealing to the artistic means in this context to the majority of people, useable, identifiable and will be profitable.  The client base wanted it, the marketing needed it and club embraced it…sounds successful to me.  As for ‘Soulless’ that is the heart of the beholder, to me it has massive soul…a tip to our history both in wrong badge and European cup, the distinctive colours we have, the better roaring lion and  enhanced by the better colours mixed together and not like our previous badge.  It’s not soulless at all.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

IMG_1590.jpeg

Zig heil, Mein Furher!! FFS

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Also if I remember correctly this old badge was done by the club without consultation.  

You don't remember correctly.

It was the exact opposite. It was done with loads of consultation with the fans.
But they just chucked all of the ideas they got onto a badge without actually assessing whether it looked good or not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless you're Stevie Wonder, I don't know how anyone could prefer the current badge to the new one.

The current one is shit.

It's a lot better than it used to be. The tweaks they made a couple of years ago were really great.

But overall it's awful

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You don't remember correctly.

It was the exact opposite. It was done with loads of consultation with the fans.
But they just chucked all of the ideas they got onto a badge without actually assessing whether it looked good or not

Thanks, my memory sucks 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

My point does stand though…ok so you are using the word ‘Corporate’ in a negative connotation but that can be done with many words when you could’ve just used the word you mean ‘soulless’. ‘Corporate’ to me means successful and while no always appealing to the artistic means in this context to the majority of people, useable, identifiable and will be profitable.  The client base wanted it, the marketing needed it and club embraced it…sounds successful to me.  As for ‘Soulless’ that is the heart of the beholder, to me it has massive soul…a tip to our history both in wrong badge and European cup, the distinctive colours we have, the better roaring lion and  enhanced by the better colours mixed together and not like our previous badge.  It’s not soulless at all.

Why does corporate mean successful? Plenty of corporations fail/struggle/do badly. You use so many words to justify your use of 'corporate' means good things but I don't buy it. Anyway, different opinions clearly! I lost. The gaslamp will have to live on only in my dreams. 

• Like 1

Â