• Bailey (Ramsey 59)
    • Buendía (Ings 59)
    • Mings (Konsa 59)
    • Cash (Young 74)
    • Digne (Augustinsson 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 23:59

Just now, Mic09 said:

This was pointed a few times, but I don't think the back line was that high. They usually sat on 35 yards. 

But yeah, unfortunately, the keeper cost us. Swedish fans might remember the play off goal against Poland. Zielinski run into the goal and Olsen made no effort to shorten the angle. He just isn't good off the line. 

It maybe didn't appear that high, but Rashford and Ten Hag both commented on it after the game, and it was something they were focusing on throughout the game.  The number of balls United sent over the top, luckily most were offside, but you only get away with that for so many.

Emery should have asked Olsen to come out more as sweeper, or else dropped the line deeper.

But other than that, I think Emery had the team setup as best he could.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It maybe didn't appear that high, but Rashford and Ten Hag both commented on it after the game, and it was something they were focusing on throughout the game.  The number of balls United sent over the top, luckily most were offside, but you only get away with that for so many.

Emery should have asked Olsen to come out more as sweeper, or else dropped the line deeper.

But other than that, I think Emery had the team setup as best he could.

Maybe he did. Olsen really shit the bed last night. I'd be amazed if we were not in for a reserve GK in Jan. 

Not least because we can't fundamentally change the way we play from front to back just because Emi is missing. It would undermine most of our coaching. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, paul514 said:

Never want to see Olsen play for us again, McGinn was his usual rubbish self .... told you lot we should have sold him two summers ago!

No idea why we rested so many with only one game left to play.

Other than that Emery made good use of subs

I don't think they was rested, more he wanted to see more players in a competitive environment.

• Like 1

The long probing ball is undoing us....and the high line, is an invitation, gift wrapped.

It was in evidence against Newcastle, was in evidence last Sunday and again last night.

We make it so,so,so easy.

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think maybe chambers and mcginn may be kept on for now but rest i think will be sold/return to their clubs in next few windows

you have to have buyers, to sell.

some clubs must rub their hands when we come calling.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure how some people seem annoyed at Emery.

Absolutely nothing more he probably could have done.

All individual error that.

I'm confused as to how Olsen actually got worse as the game progressed, thought he would have grown into the game.

Not sure what's happened with Mings tonight either.

At one point, it seemed like the game was being managed perfectly.

Oh, and McGinn is looking done.

what miffed me, was they didn't have to really think, how to break us down......just play a long ball over the top and Bingo.

This game of football doesn't need tactics.......just do that, its easy,peasy.

some of that defending was low,low grade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

you have to have buyers, to sell.

some clubs must rub their hands when we come calling.

I think you would have buyers for mcginn and chambers. Nakamba probably not so much be loaned out like wes and traore.

Olsen god knows who will take nyland 2.0

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think they was rested, more he wanted to see more players in a competitive environment.

Spot on really. I’ve said a couple of times since last night that Emery will have learned a lot from this performance. Our back up/second choice options aren’t great really. We probably have 14/15 players who are good enough to use consistently but the rest are very average.

We do clearly have a soft underbelly but hopefully this can be worked on over the next six weeks and with a transfer window or two.

We should have at least taken it to pens after going 1-2 up but again, Emery will have seen first hand now our frailties. Think we’ll still see some dodgy performances until the end of the season but I’m confident in Emery and his ability to rectify this over time. 

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The way our heads dropped when that 3rd goal went in is everything that is wrong with the majority of these players.

That has to be addressed....its gone on for too long.

• Like 1

Had a fun evening regardless of the result. Special shout out to the big dude who decided to fight the police after the full time whistle. 

Agree with all comments that we would have had a better chance of a win with Emi in goal, I was also deeply unimpressed by Augustinsson. 

• Like 1

We lost. Oh well. We’re going to have a lot more of them along the way too.

This was a weakened squad. Also for all of you saying “why Olsen”… Can you imagine the morale hit on Emi if he missed the World Cup due to getting an injury in the league cup… This ain’t a premier competition!

We kept pace with United for most of it, and in fact we’re leading them twice in the game. United had better subs to bring on. 

United have conceded 7 goals at home this year in all completions and we have two of them…

I personally took so many positives from that. I enjoyed the way we played - we looked dangerous the entire game, even though the back looked weak (but it wasn’t our starting back 4). I like him giving lots of players a chance and the LC is the venue to do that.

Bad result. With Emi in goal we at least make penalties… Good performance compared to where we were.

• Like 2

A game for the taking, which we didn't take.

United are bang average and even with our reserve side we took the lead twice. Fairly unforgiveable we messed that up.

Seemed to go to pot when we took Young off, and Olsen looks a liabilty.

Still it was madness to expect them twice in a week,  and it was a good evening with excellent support from Villa. United were silent apart from the last 10.

Good points on Old Trafford is that they seem to be stuck in about 2000 for both design and beer prices (£3 for a bottle) and getting out on the metro is so much easier than catching a train from Villa Park.

Concentrate on the league/pointless World Cup Break.

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Did the law win?

I would assume so. As I made my way down the stairs out of the concourse, about 5 coppers were on there way to help out... 

Got there early last night and ended up at my seat while the players were warming up which I don’t normally watch. Martinez kept scoring past Olsen and I feared the worst watching that. Would’ve brought on Emi instead of Mings in that triple change. As brutal as it might have looked on Olsen, the mistake was coming all match and he cost us the game. Not good enough and I presume Emery will look to offload and get a better No2. 3 appearances and 11 conceded is it?

Also the difference between Augustinsson and Digne (or Young) is night and day. He checked back at every opportunity in the first half, continually putting Chambers and Olsen under pressure.

Positives: Bailey and Buendia gave us so much impetus, Ollie buried a one on one and the away support. 

That Bailey run by the way where he beat about 5 players, deserved an assist from that!

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The long probing ball is undoing us....and the high line, is an invitation, gift wrapped.

I think the high line is the plan and is going to be the plan. Hopefully we can get better at it - we did it brilliantly in the first half, I think we just tired a bit when they bought on their subs and lost a little organisation when Young went off.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

On Monday, most of our squad has 6 weeks without a match. Not only that, do you really need to rest a goalkeeper? F**** me, I’ll do more exercise on my walk to work this morning than they do most matches. It’s not a taxing position to the point you can’t play 3 games in 10 days. It just isn’t 

I agree with 90% of your post, but on this point...

1. Keepers may not tax their cardiovascular system that much, but a certain amount of mental/central nervous system fatigue does happen from keeping your concentration for 90 minutes and exercising your reflexes at extreme speed.

2. Emi is not one of the players about to get a month's vacation. He may play 7 matches. And he did have a concussion recently.

Â