• Bailey (Ramsey 59)
    • Buendía (Ings 59)
    • Mings (Konsa 59)
    • Cash (Young 74)
    • Digne (Augustinsson 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 23:59

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

Olsen was the opposite of a sweeper keeper. I don’t think I have ever seen a keeper so rooted to his line. First half balls landing half way in his box and still not coming to collect. I might be being critical but the first goal Bruno was 4 yards inside the area having ran from near the half way line before he crossed it and the last goal I think if that is emi in goal he collects that cross and smashed mctominey out the way

I'm not sure about the last goal to be honest. It was such a good, flat ball it ended coming far closer to the goal than you'd have originally expected.

But either way I agree with your point, he was bad, and nowhere near commanding enough

So near...I wish we had not made 7 changes and given ourselves an even bigger chance. Playing from the back can work in time, but it was soon clear that it wasn't going to work last night. Knowing they have their usual home draw and looking at the teams that are already out, makes going out last night even harder to take, but Unai will have learned a lot about our squad last night. 

Watkins scored a fine goal, but fluffed a chance to put us back ahead and potentially win it for us from Bailey's pass. Two goals against that lot would have been the perfect answer to Southgate. Olsen's lookalike needs to be replaced by the Swedish international keeper that we signed, because this bloke clearly isn't him.  

Our fans were so loud last night , fantastic support, could hear them most of the game sounded like the home team all the way through, even when manure scored straight after the kick off all you could hear was villa singing.

Mcquire, how is he in the England squad? Looked flat footed and off the pace. Playing that game anywhere else in the world and he would have been sent off, 2nd yellow, for the pull back when Ollie was breaking through.

I like the choice of doing what Emery did yesterday. Force the players to play a certain style even thou we looked shaky. Yes it sucks to go out in the cup, but Emery had and has a total of 3 games before the WC. Need to get a good look in short time, and I feel he has done that. First half seemed like the guys had been instructed to play the offside trap no matter what.

Curious on the future of Olsen, Augstinsson, Bednarek, Chambers, Mcginn, Nakamba and Ings now. Cannot really see them in the style of Emery, but who knows.

I think the way we passed the ball and frustrated utd 1st half was very impressive considering this was a weakened team. Utd fielded a stronger side than we did. I think had that been at villa park we would gine stronger 

Idon't t think utd were actually that good. We literally handed them the keys to the car to the next round with the stupid defensive errors

Emery wont be happy with that

Honestly, I couldn’t give a toss about any cup game this season and I don’t get the clamour for it from anyone else as of right now. I don’t blame Unai using them to test out second string players.

For me it’s all about finishing as high as possible this season in the league and reinforcing with new recruits in January and next summer and then get ready for next season when hopefully a proper push for top half football and the possibility of daring to dream of European football returning to VP can be had.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Curious on the future of Olsen, Augstinsson, Bednarek, Chambers, Mcginn, Nakamba and Ings now. Cannot really see them in the style of Emery, but who knows.

I think maybe chambers and mcginn may be kept on for now but rest i think will be sold/return to their clubs in next few windows

I think last night tells you how poor our back up players are. The drop in quality from Emi to Olsen is huge. Same from Digne to Augtinson. 

I think if we had started Emi last night we would’ve won that game. Disappointed to go out of the cup! 

Slightly disappointed, but we won the more important game against these, in my opinion. I'd love a good cup run, but I think that the focus for the rest of this season has to be the League, considering what an F up Gerrard has made of it so far.

I think that we'd have beat these again if we put a full strength side out, which gives me great confidence.

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We were never going to beat United twice in 1 week were we :(

No.....but its clear where the weaknesses are.

We done many things well, but that lurking ugly head, lies beneath the surface.

It's rare that a team loses and manager seems to have done his job right.

We set up well, created chances, it was individual mistakes that cost us.

No blame on Unai - in fact, I would be disappointed if he didn't give some players like Chambers or Augustinson a chance. 

11 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

The subs cost us.

Though I think Emery will look at the league as more important at the moment, and look at the FA cup as a better run for various reasons.

But Christ it was bad after Man U got the second equaliser. Our soft underbelly yet again on show.

Good luck Unai, you're gonna need it.

Ditto.

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's rare that a team loses and manager seems to have done his job right.

We set up well, created chances, it was individual mistakes that cost us.

No blame on Unai - in fact, I would be disappointed if he didn't give some players like Chambers or Augustinson a chance. 

The setup wasn't bad, except for the high line and lack of sweeper keeper.  You're asking for trouble with that combo.

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't think the performance was too bad.  Manager got to see what the 2nd 11 is about.

3 mistakes by the goalkeeper and some poor communication aside, we were in the game all the way to the end.

He clearly has a spending plan in January.....He has to know where the money is best spent, but experimenting in the League, is fraught with danger.

I understand, his thinking.

There were positives and negatives in that game, and for us, it was predictable, but for Unai, he has to see it for himself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The setup wasn't bad, except for the high line and lack of sweeper keeper.  You're asking for trouble with that combo.

This was pointed a few times, but I don't think the back line was that high. They usually sat on 35 yards. 

But yeah, unfortunately, the keeper cost us. Swedish fans might remember the play off goal against Poland. Zielinski run into the goal and Olsen made no effort to shorten the angle. He just isn't good off the line. 

Only watched till we went 2-1 up because I was 30 minutes behind the live match (on daddy duties) - once our second goal went in I thought I would check the score because I didn't want to watch the last 30 minutes if I was going to end up disappointed - Was a wise move. Couldn't believe it when it flashed up FOUR two :( Well, actually, I could.. It was typical Villa really wasn't. But TBH I did hope that the introduction of Mings, Buendia and Bailey had strengthened us but appears not.

I haven't seen the last 3 goals but by all accounts we made it very easy for them. Very disappointing, especially given Man City have drawn Liverpool and we would have had a home tie against Burnley I think it was. Hate losing to these words removed too.

I will cut Emery some slack, I see both sides to the argument of playing fringe players and going all out with a strong eleven - but he was let down by a few, especially Olsen. 

First half we looked like we had a game plan at least and although we didn't provide much threat, we also limited them to I think one half chance (header over the bar) - but in truth both teams were poor in possession. I can't really comment on the second half having only watched 15 minutes. But I think we are in good hands with Emery and I am looking forward to how he moves us forward

11 hours ago, Daweii said:

Olsen looks terrified every time he plays for us. I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Man City last season as it was Man City and his first start for Villa, but he's consistently looked terrified every other time I saw him. He doesn't come for the ball, he doesn't command his box, he doesn't command defence. Our defence were also poor tonight, but I feel like if we had Martinez between the sticks they wouldn't have been as poor. I don't mean to pile on Olsen as McGinn and some others were also shite tonight, but I really do feel like the standard policy of playing your shite keeper in the cup has bitten us in the ass here. 

It seems to me, that in terms of cover....our recruitment is poor.

We have to find players who can challenge for the shirt, not make the numbers up.....some of those fringe players were woeful.

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

This was pointed a few times, but I don't think the back line was that high. They usually sat on 35 yards. 

But yeah, unfortunately, the keeper cost us. Swedish fans might remember the play off goal against Poland. Zielinski run into the goal and Olsen made no effort to shorten the angle. He just isn't good off the line. 

Yup, and he keeps looking extraordinarily uncomfortable when having to come off the line. He did play one or two decent balls last night, but yeah, he is not the back-up we need for Emery's way of playing. 

Stil, I thin we looked quite ok for the most part, and individual mistakes and some bad luck (some of it obviously made by ourselves) cost us dearly.

Edited by daft

Â