Pre-Match Thread: Doing the double

tinker

Think McGinn will come in with Dendoncker not around.

Too early for Kamara to start, weekend more likely for that.

It's actually interesting what we do in goal. Villareal won the europa with the reserve keeper in goal so wouldn't shock me if Emery gives Olsen a start. However Emi must come on if the game is heading to penalties given the antics he'd get up to when they're walking up to take the kicks.

Beyond that I don't see many changes at all given 3/4 of the team won't be playing for another six weeks shortly.

47 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just talking about the game with a United supporting friend at work, and he made a good point.

Even if United put out a strong team, are the players really going to put in a shift in a 3rd round Carabao Cup tie on a Thursday night, when the World Cup starts 10 days later?

United will have a lot more players going to the WC than we will, are the likes of Rashford, Casemiro, Ferndandes etc. going to risk picking up an injury and missing the WC?  I doubt it.

We have a real opportunity to take advantage of that and put them out.

United is their employer.

Disgraceful if they take it easy.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Everyone assuming we'll be seeing a second string.

It depends how much Unai wants a decent cup run.

We play Thursday and then Sunday, before we have a 4 weeks break. That means the needs to rest players is not the priority it normally would have been.

I hope we field the best team we can and try to progress into the next round. It would boost confidence if we could beat ManU twice in a week, that could be beneficial when we play Brighton.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I'd take a cup win over a league win any day of the week.

It's a chance to win a trophy.

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

We play Thursday and then Sunday, before we have a 4 weeks break. That means the needs to rest players is not the priority it normally would have been.

I hope we field the best team we can and try to progress into the next round. It would boost confidence if we could beat ManU twice in a week, that could be beneficial when we play Brighton.

Me too, and I think it will be a strong team, but Bailey looked f**ked. Understandable really, he terrorised the Man U back line. 

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Emery said his short term dream was to win a cup, so I'm assuming he will go with a strong side, as the league Cup is easier to win then the FA Cup. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

United is their employer.

Disgraceful if they take it easy.

You're right, but we seen last night with Mane all it takes is one tackle and their World Cup is over.  I wouldn't be surprised if some United players don't give 100% if they are selected. 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

I'd take a cup win over a league win any day of the week.

It's a chance to win a trophy.

I would, normally, but we reeeeaalllly needed 3 points last week. Bit more comfortable now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Emery said his short term dream was to win a cup, so I'm assuming he will go with a strong side, as the league Cup is easier to win then the FA Cup. 

Yep that was the main part of my thinking

From a United forum, we really rattled them 🤣

"I mean its laughable that Emery comes back to haunt us and destroys a 27 year record on his debut match. Dont you tell me new manager's bounce is fiction.

Cannot stand Villa the game raising bastards, I swear Jacob Ramsey only bothers when hes playing us. Same as the rest of them.

All that bitterness aside, it absolutely favours us to bin this off straight away, and probably the FA cup too. I think this season we just seriously need to put all of our eggs in one basket be it the Europa or aiming for Top 4. We simply cannot afford to miss out on CL again and miss out on sponsor money that will likely fund the summer transfer budget."

Most of them don't seem bothered about this cup.  We should be up for this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Think McGinn will come in with Dendoncker not around.

Too early for Kamara to start, weekend more likely for that.

It's actually interesting what we do in goal. Villareal won the europa with the reserve keeper in goal so wouldn't shock me if Emery gives Olsen a start. However Emi must come on if the game is heading to penalties given the antics he'd get up to when they're walking up to take the kicks.

Beyond that I don't see many changes at all given 3/4 of the team won't be playing for another six weeks shortly.

I’d be amazed if Olsen doesn’t play in one of the next two games. If he starts Emi tomorrow it shows he’s really going after a cup. 

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’d be amazed if Olsen doesn’t play in one of the next two games. If he starts Emi tomorrow it shows he’s really going after a cup. 

I really am not too confident in Olsen starting.  He's conceded 7 goals in 2 games for us.