Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

7 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Bill Maher is a reactionary old fart who is fighting the world’s biggest army of windmills and strawmen. I used to watch Real Time weekly, but f*** me it is such a tiresome show because Bill Maher is a self-important tw@ who thinks he’s being edgy and original but really is an outdated single-issue satirist who thinks the fringes of twitter represents the real world

This is the problem. Too many people can't filter this stuff and lose their heads about literally the most extreme people in any one group, imagining it as some all-pervasive enormous group when it likely is about 80 people at any one time out of 7 billion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

This is the problem. Too many people can't filter this stuff and lose their heads about literally the most extreme people in any one group, imagining it as some all-pervasive enormous group when it likely is about 80 people at any one time out of 7 billion.

It matters because it is driving more and more extremism on the far right. Electing more and more nut jobs 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It matters because it is driving more and more extremism on the far right. Electing more and more nut jobs 

I think the narrative about 'wokeness' does this more or less, which is why right wing media, from YouTube videos to the Daily Mail and so on, are so obsessed with it. They're the only people going on about it because it entrenches and pushes people who buy into it rightwards and delegitimises anyone to the left of their position—it's in their interests to push the 'woke' narrative. They've done it forever, just using different words each time. Having said that, I also think there's another group who just can't filter this information and are winding themselves up without having an agenda. Anyway, as I say, overall it's mostly in the minds of the people who are complaining about it.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

People fawning over this type of stuff. 

The irony of this being that you are so outraged by "extreme wokeness" and clearly don't understand what "wokeness" is that you don't realise that people who would actually claim to be woke would find this example of someone pretending to be disabled when they aren't to be itself extremely offensive and ableist , so much so it looks more like an attempt at anti-woke "comedy" that you've fell for rather than an actual real example.

Edit: Wait this is the Twitter thread, lol at Musk saying he had to cut jobs because Twitter is losing $1bn+ a year,  why spend $44bn on it then :crylaugh:

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think the narrative about 'wokeness' does this more or less, which is why right wing media, from YouTube videos to the Daily Mail and so on, are so obsessed with it. They're the only people going on about it because it entrenches and pushes people rightwards and delegitimises anyone to the left of their position—it's in their interests to push the 'woke' narrative. They've done it forever, just using different words each time. Having said that, I also think there's another group who just can't filter this information and are winding themselves up without having an agenda. Anyway, as I say, overall it's mostly in the minds of the people who are complaining about it.

There is nothing NOTHING better than a label if you want to demonise something/some group. 

When it's got a label you've got something to take aim at. 

Add a catchy slogan and you're cooking on gas (and only gas, none of this snowflake induction cooking. That's for remoaning snowflake wokes. Gas is another part of project fear) 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

The irony of this being that you are so outraged by "extreme wokeness" and clearly don't understand what "wokeness" is that you don't realise that people who would actually claim to be woke would find this example of someone pretending to be disabled when they aren't to be itself extremely offensive and ableist , so much so it looks more like an attempt at anti-woke "comedy" that you've fell for rather than an actual real example.

Edit: Wait this is the Twitter thread, lol at Musk saying he had to cut jobs because Twitter is losing $1bn+ a year,  why spend $44bn on it then :crylaugh:

Wow, commenting on something is now "outraged". You're kinda just proving my point. Everything has to be an extremism. Your response proves my point totally.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Wow, commenting on something is now "outraged". You're kinda just proving my point. Everything has to be an extremism. Your response proves my point totally.

I think you're outraged by it because it's a common theme among a lot of your posts, you talk about how much you hate "wokeism" all the time.

• Like 2

As supposedly the richest man on the planet, Elon Musk is definitely interesting, more as a phenomenon than as a person.

I guess he must be the most successful African-American ever.

Thunderf00t of YouTube fame, has been debunking the Musk for years and I'm not sure he'd have much of a channel without him. Others have been predicting the collapse of Musk's shares for years, to such an extent that I was amazed that he achieved anything at all.

News of his demise seems to have been exaggerated.

He certainly attracts a lot of groupies, not unlike Jobs.

In the present discussion, I can't work out if people just hate Musk or think Twitter should be protected from his Gordan Gekko tendencies.

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is nothing NOTHING better than a label if you want to demonise something/some group. 

When it's got a label you've got something to take aim at. 

Add a catchy slogan and you're cooking on gas (any only gas, none of this snowflake induction cooking. That's for remoaning snowflake wokes. Gas is another part of project fear) 

And isn't that exactly what identity politics is. You have "identify" as something these days. "I'm a black, gay, woman and my country hates me" is a headline I read from a Guardian article. Why are people now just a handful of descriptive attributes about them, you need to have race, gender and sexuality top of the identification list?

You are again proving my point. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

People fawning over this type of stuff. 

Or the general hypersensitivity of the extreme woke brigade. That a person taking offense to something is arbiter of what is right or wrong to say or do. I use the example of holding the door for someone coming behind you, I've had a woman take offense and consider the act misogynistic and tell me she's perfectly capable of opening the door herself. So what I have always deemed a politeness for swinging doors is now not up to me to decide if that is the right or wrong thing to do it's for each other individual to decide my motivations for doing so. 

Like say a non binary person wanting to be referred to as them. That word already has a meaning and it's a plural. Who decided we all needed to change the meaning of existing words. Then who decided you're an offensive person for not complying with it. I feel like some groups somewhere created these rules a long time ago and now it's decided we all need to comply with this or we're bigots. 

Bill Maher has been great and calling out how ridiculous it's become. Here's one about "Presentisim" 

They can be used when talking about a person when you don't know their gender, that has always been the case, it isn't a new use.

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think you're outraged by it because it's a common theme among a lot of your posts, you talk about how much you hate "wokeism" all the time.

This is the issue, you can't comment on something without it being labelled an extreme thing. Outrage, Toxic, whatever extreme adjective you want. That's what social media (VT included obviously) is. Nobody actually speaks like that to other people in real life.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

This is the issue, you can't comment on something without it being labelled an extreme thing. Outrage, Toxic, whatever extreme adjective you want. That's what social media (VT included obviously) is. Nobody actually speaks like that to other people in real life.

If I knew someone that everytime I saw them down the pub they were moaning about things being too woke I would absolutely say they were outraged by it.

Outrage isn't a new word, it's been a word used to descrive the hyperbole used by the likes of the Mail my entire life that I've heard plenty of people use in real life.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

They can be used when talking about a person when you don't know their gender, that has always been the case, it isn't a new use.

Yes, but in that context it is still referring to a singular person from potential unspecified number of people. "As a friend to see if they can help". 

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

If I knew someone that everytime I saw them down the pub they were moaning about things being too woke I would absolutely say they were outraged by it.

Outrage isn't a new word, it's been a word used to descrive the hyperbole used by the likes of the Mail my entire life that I've heard plenty of people use in real life.

Right and left views need to be called out for a lot of what is said these days. I'd probably be right of centre on fiscal matters and left of centre in social issues. I hate the extremism that is the norm for the internet however. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Seriously, what on earth are you prattling on about? You quoted a post which was specifically about what is "extreme wokeness". The post is nothing to do with Twitter and companies advertising.

1. He's replying to your post

2. It's in a topic about Twitter and Musk's takeover

3. The post quoted is in response to a question posed to you after you posted this

I do agree with him to a degree. Activists are controlling companies via threats. Cancel culture, extreme wokeness has gone too far. It's a "control the narrative" world now.

So @sidcow is challenging your opinion AND keeping the topic focussed on the topic at hand

Asking him what he's "pratlling" on about when he's directly responding to your posts and then claiming it has nothing to do with what you've said, is quite frankly just disengenuous. You clearly know what he's refering to and if you don't well you should start reading your own posts

• Thanks 1

And isn't that exactly what identity politics is. You have "identify" as something these days. "I'm a black, gay, woman and my country hates me" is a headline I read from a Guardian article. Why are people now just a handful of descriptive attributes about them, you need to have race, gender and sexuality top of the identification list?

You are again proving my point. 

The quote in question is delivered with 'a wry laugh' by an actress in an interview. Highlighting the headline does suggest that you're not always big on subtlety and only see the 'shocking', reductive headline. This seems to be par for the course for someone falling for the schtick of the 'attack of the woke'. She's also, again, just one person expressing herself. If you think she shouldn't be saying things like this then it seems as if you'd like to cancel her. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

We are getting very close to this going off topic. Can we please keep to the subject of the topic (title changed for clarity). I get that the "super wokeness" discussion is borderline relevant in this discussion but let's not take it beyond that to discussing the whole ~woke~ thing in general and what people do or do not think they can say in public (note not Twitter). If its about the Musk Twitter Buyount, all good, if it's not, put your post in the relevant topic, if there isn't one, start a new one.

Ta and carry on

3 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It wasn’t losing a billion a year when he bought it, it’s losing a billion a year because he bought it. The billion a year figure is just the interest payments owed each year on the loans he took out 😬

It wasn’t profitable before but it wasn’t costing this much. And that’s before the advertisers got spooked and fled. 

A lot of the debt is secured against his Tesla stock. 

Have a look at what has happened to the Tesla stock price since the Twitter sale went through 😬

• Like 1

Â