Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

When people complained about the curation on Twitter, they were always told that, as a private company it can do as it likes.

Presumably the same right should be extended to Musk.

"Curation" always sounded like a euphemism to me.

I'm not sure anyone has said otherwise

Twitter and Musk can do as it likes within the law

Most of us will just laugh when it goes under because all the advertisers, as private companies can do what they want to as well

6 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think one of my favourite things about twitter at the minute is the amount of blue checks sacrificing their accounts to hammer home the point to Musk that the verification process is there for Twitter's benefit, not the user's.

I also saw a fairly serious thread about it from an actor whose name I can't remember now (Robert something, he's got a Jewish/Eastern European sounding last name and was in Eastenders and the Warcraft movie), talking about how before he used social media he got contacted by parents whose 11-15 year old kids had been talking to "him" online and that one of them even went missing, so he signed up to every platform he could to make an official account he could control and point to as the real him, preventing people using his name as a way to groom kids.

The "value" of the blue check is simply to prove someone is who they say they are, so Twitter can both claim to have the real X on their site whilst also defending themselves from potential legal action that they are allowing people to defame X by posing as them on Twitter. Why would someone pay for the privilege of helping Twitter?

There's another argument that runs parallel to this

Twitter is a platform that earns money from advertisers. It's content is provided by users, now it wants to charge the content creators

Compare that with say YouTube, which is a different platform that earns money from advertisers. It's content too is provided by users. It pays the content creators

Musk keeps replying to people $8 and is completely missing the point. Absolutely most of them can afford $8, that doesn't mean they'll pay it to create content for him

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It wasn’t losing a billion a year when he bought it, it’s losing a billion a year because he bought it. The billion a year figure is just the interest payments owed each year on the loans he took out 😬

It wasn’t profitable before but it wasn’t costing this much. And that’s before the advertisers got spooked and fled. 

A lot of the debt is secured against his Tesla stock. 

Have a look at what has happened to the Tesla stock price since the Twitter sale went through 😬

Oh I know, but that's the elephant in the room with Musk justification for sacking so much staff, that's why I was laughing at it. He'd rather people believe he sunk $44bn into a company that was losing $1.2bn per year instead of realising that his purchase increased Twitter's losses by $1bn per year. Either way, it doesn't make him look like a great businessman!

There is an argument that Twitter was just about to reach profitability before the pandemic as it had two profit making years in a row, the only ones in their history, but it's hard to say how much the pandemic truly effected them and whether they would bounce back from it, but as with all tech companies, it was massively overinflated in price when Musk made the offer to buy it, so even then it wasn't really worth it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure anyone has said otherwise

Twitter and Musk can do as it likes within the law

Most of us will just laugh when it goes under because all the advertisers, as private companies can do what they want to as well

If it goes under there will be a lot people who will think good riddance.

There will also be very many content-creators on other platforms, who earn a living from mainly monetising Twitter comments, so Twitter's ostensible enemies will miss it the most.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There will also be very many content-creators on other platforms, who earn a living from mainly monetising Twitter comments, so Twitter's ostensible enemies will miss it the most.

Can you point me in the direction of these content-creators on other platforms who are currently criticising Musk's Twitter buyout and subsequent strategy?

I've genuinely seen none of them doing this and if they are, I'd imagine it's because they don't want Twitter to disappear because they realise it will affect them personally and they can see the platform will be the worse for it, especially if it goes down.

They wouldn't be Twitter's enemies, they'd be concerned users and advocates of the platform.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can you point me in the direction of these content-creators on other platforms who are currently criticising Musk's Twitter buyout and subsequent strategy?

I've genuinely seen none of them doing this and if they are, I'd imagine it's because they don't want Twitter to disappear because they realise it will affect them personally and they can see the platform will be the worse for it, especially if it goes down.

They wouldn't be Twitter's enemies, they'd be concerned users and advocates of the platform.

I haven't seen any at all.

Edit: I did take a look at Thunderf00t's channel and he has several new videos slagging off Musk.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Deleting my account will actually improve my life if I'm being honest. 

When I first joined Twitter I followed a lot of comedians (Rob Delaney made his name there) and it was genuinely fun. Then when we went down the wrong timeline in about 2015 and everything became about politics Twitter turned into a complete cesspool.

So I created a new account for just Villa posters and Villa info. It’s so much healthier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If Musk carries on like this I'm going to take all my bots off there. 

Same. I might be forced to stop trolling celebrities on there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

When I first joined Twitter I followed a lot of comedians (Rob Delaney made his name there) and it was genuinely fun. Then when we went down the wrong timeline in about 2015 and everything became about politics Twitter turned into a complete cesspool.

So I created a new account for just Villa posters and Villa info. It’s so much healthier.

Villa social media is far from healthy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Villa social media is far from healthy!

I get rid of anyone who isn't reasonable. It's really just to follow news and updates.

VT used to be the first for Villa news but Twitter is faster now.

Once I eventually found Off Topic on VT thats where I spend 90% of my time. Don't really venture into on topic much. (Although I loved a good rant in the match thread when Gerrard was managing us.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think one of my favourite things about twitter at the minute is the amount of blue checks sacrificing their accounts to hammer home the point to Musk that the verification process is there for Twitter's benefit, not the user's.

I also saw a fairly serious thread about it from an actor whose name I can't remember now (Robert something, he's got a Jewish/Eastern European sounding last name and was in Eastenders and the Warcraft movie), talking about how before he used social media he got contacted by parents whose 11-15 year old kids had been talking to "him" online and that one of them even went missing, so he signed up to every platform he could to make an official account he could control and point to as the real him, preventing people using his name as a way to groom kids.

The "value" of the blue check is simply to prove someone is who they say they are, so Twitter can both claim to have the real X on their site whilst also defending themselves from potential legal action that they are allowing people to defame X by posing as them on Twitter. Why would someone pay for the privilege of helping Twitter?

• Like 2

Â