Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Perhaps the biggest threat to his twitter business, Meta is due to launch their twitter alternative on thursday. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66094072

It's ruffling a few feathers on Mastodon because it is designed to interoperate with the fediverse. However, unlike Mastodon, its app permissions suggest it will ask for access to basically all your personal content. On top of that, there are concerns about how it might make use of account data that it links to on the fediverse.

Basically, it seems likely that it's a Big Tech company wading into a free and open platform and stomping around ruining things and grabbing as much stuff as it can.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Dived into Threads this morning, currently it's like when colleagues see each other first thing at an away day. Everyone happy but you know they will be angry later. Anyhow I am lonely so if anyone fancies friending me up peejaydee on there. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looks like I have to sign up to view posts? 

If that is the case…nah. I didn’t have to sign up to browse Twitter when it was in it’s heyday, such as it was.

Not sure of the way in, but I selected a random "thread" and tried it in incognito mode and it allowed me to view it. By the look of it if you go to threads.net/ and after the slash add @ and the user name, you can view that users posts.

Think I might need to start a thread incase the oasis fans start moderating content again.

Meta chief Mark Zuckerberg has said that the company's newly-launched Threads app aims to outrival Twitter.

Experts say Threads could attract Twitter users unhappy with recent changes to the platform.

Threads - which is not launching in the European Union for now - allows users to post up to 500 characters, and has many features similar to Twitter.

The app passed 10 million sign-ups in its first seven hours, Mr Zuckerberg said.

link

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looks like I have to sign up to view posts? 

If that is the case…nah. I didn’t have to sign up to browse Twitter when it was in it’s heyday, such as it was.

That certainly was the case but I managed to view one via a what's app link earlier, but now I've just tried to look at something I can't. 

I'm really hoping Threads takes off and serves to kill off Twitter. 

I wont be going to threads the idea of feeding Zuckerberg more millions is not going to happen for me at least. 

But killing off twitter would genuinely improve my life. I am utterly addicted to it and its a complete waste of time. 

I kinda love Twitter and am kinda shocked how much worse Musk has made it. Called that one completely wrong. Kinda sad to see it in the state it's in. 

EDIT: Just realised how much I use the word "kinda". Kinda need to change that. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm blinkered but it still works exactly as i need it to.

There's more spam accounts popping up in replies and a few more marketing adverts but not enough to bother me in any meaningful way. I wont be in a hurry to switch to competitors.

I’ll switch when the stuff I’m reading and keeping up to date with switches.

Basically, whilst the record shop, the football club, and the local politics are still on twitter I’ve got no reason to move.

I mean, in an ideal scenario, they’ll all keep going, it’ll stay free, and all the shit people whinge about can find a new home elsewhere with the facebook family.

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

all the shit people whinge about can find a new home elsewhere with the facebook family.

That won't happen because Meta moderate far more than Twitter

The switch will be more the other way around if it happens but personally I don't think it will happen. The hate for the other side is what will keep people there.

Not having any social media account (except VT) I wanted to see the usual photo compilation of the players returning from training. 

I can't see anything on Twitter so I clicked on the facebook link. 

Well. Done Elon, one less click for you and one more click for Facebook. The guy's a genius. 

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think i must be the only person who has never used or had a twitter account

Classic VT

Popular = never heard of it :lol: 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I didn’t have an account, just cos… but I liked browsing tweets. Particularly when something is happening live, for example watching the demise of a slovenly prime minister on television while simultaneously reading the various amusing witticisms and memes that accompany the moment.

I obviously can get that here in VT but the readily available comments are obviously nowhere near as numerous.  

Ah well, I can survive without it. 

• Like 1

Â