Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

User inertia, a new microblogging site needs to have some USPs for people to move. 

Hmmm. Would the ability to post words and pictures and read and view others posts and pictures be considered a USP? 

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is why I thought Facebook would be all over it as about 90% of the world have accounts already.

Facebook aren't led well at all either tbf, just look at how they've put a lot of eggs into the basket that was the metaverse (an obvious dud).

Slightly off topic, but awful leadership is very common in the huge tech companies. Google products have become dreadful over the past few years (Google search is now poor quality, Youtube changes are often at the expense of everyone but advertisers, other products/features are often scrapped without warning). The entire tech industry is in a very unhealthy state, entirely reliant on user inertia and people being too deep within their far-stretching 'ecosystems' to change (Apple). Musk has just somehow taken this to the extreme. Almost impressive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Facebook aren't led well at all either tbf, just look at how they've put a lot of eggs into the basket that was the metaverse (an obvious dud).

Slightly off topic, but awful leadership is very common in the huge tech companies. Google products have become dreadful over the past few years (Google search is now poor quality, Youtube changes are often at the expense of everyone but advertisers, other products/features are often scrapped without warning). The entire tech industry is in a very unhealthy state, entirely reliant on user inertia and people being too deep within their far-stretching 'ecosystems' to change (Apple). Musk has just somehow taken this to the extreme. Almost impressive.

I would say Meta outwardly appear to be only invested in the Metaverse but internally that is not the case in addition to the microblogging alternative they are developing a number of ideas. Full disclosure I am not currently working at Meta but a large number of my colleagues are. 

11 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Part of the problem is when all these businesses became fashionable for status-seeking private school + MBA types to work for, they were always going to lose focus on what had made them successful.

But also they couldn’t indefinitely fuel investment with the vague promise of future profits. They had to start focusing more on monetisation, and that has come at the expense of user experience. But not monetising would have made these businesses unsustainable.

You can see with Musk’s Twitter experiment that dismantling all the stuff that kept the ad revenue coming in has just made the product worse.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmm. Would the ability to post words and pictures and read and view others posts and pictures be considered a USP? 

Well yes, if this temporary situation becomes more permanent, definitely. I think he's trying to drive people to get verified. I think he'll by and large fail, people will be more likely to drift away once they keep reaching their limit

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well yes, if this temporary situation becomes more permanent, definitely. I think he's trying to drive people to get verified. I think he'll by and large fail, people will be more likely to drift away once they keep reaching their limit

Hhhmmm like a lot of the reports of Musks/Twitters imminent demise seems like BS. 

I’ve been trying to break the limit for the past hour and failed must have viewed a lot more than 600 posts. 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Seeing 600 tweets, this is going to be more of a problem for those that follow 7,000 accounts than those that follow 239 accounts isn’t it?

It if you read all the replies or some of them at least. Don’t know how he’s counting the 600

Just deactivated my account. I don't really use twitter anyway so it's more of a symbolic thing and means nothing in my daily life for me. 

• Like 1

Musk didn't understand Twitters business model when he bought it (though he understood it wasn't working) and everything he's done since to try to make it make money has served only to make it worse. Wonderful.

Â