Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Up there with Big Ron, Little and Gregory. 

He’s on a different level to the above imo. Only Ron Saunders comes close to him in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Easily in the top ten Spanish Villa managers of the decade for me.

I'd  go even further. Before he turned up I thought  a basque was just a raunchy piece of underwear.  Bit now I'd  say he was the best Basque manager Villa have ever had. 

When Gerrard was sacked, 9 points from the first 11 games of the season was our joint second worst start in 28 PL seasons.

We have finished the season under Emery with our joint 5th best points total in 28 PL seasons.

The only 25-game runs in a single Aston Villa PL season that surpass Emery's 49 points were Atkinson in 92/93 (as much as 53 points in games 7-31) and O'Neill in 08/09 (51 points in first 25 games of that season)

I wouldn’t swap him for any manager in the world, I honestly mean that. 

Im sure some could throw a few names out there, but he’s an elite manager that genuinely feels privileged to be here, we don’t get that with anyone else. 

Top manager, even better human being. We’re so lucky. 

Elite. And it's not even up for debate.

His record speaks for itself.

We are disgracefully lucky and proud he's ours.

We seriously have to give him whatever he wants, he will give us Champions League and more.

Elite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Is Unai the only coach this season to do the double over Brighton? (Both games of which were when De Zerbi was in charge). Unai also then beat Potter when he was at Chelsea… 

Brighton are amazing at playing out of the back and counter attacking through movement patterns and repetition.  They have a number of different methods to play out of the back, so if you mark out one of their players, they move to plan B, C, or D and still beat the press and attack into space.  They have good players, but we have more quality in our 1st team than they do and easily wanted to win both games more than Brighton did.   I honestly loved how Emery set us up to counteract several of their build up plans and the Villa players were recognizing when to push up and tackle hard, team up and press as a group, and when to leave them be.  

Unai has stated in an interview that Brighton were one of the teams he loves to watch alongside Lazio and a club in the Segunda division that play a unique way as well.  I'm willing to bet that because they play similarly to how he's been setting us up lately that he's seen a lot of their play this season and knows them quite well.

25 minutes ago, av1 said:

I wouldn’t swap him for any manager in the world, I honestly mean that. 

Im sure some could throw a few names out there, but he’s an elite manager that genuinely feels privileged to be here, we don’t get that with anyone else. 

Top manager, even better human being. We’re so lucky. 

Same, and to be honest only a very small portion of that is down to the mutual affection he and the fans have. Most of it is because he genuinely is one of the best managers in the world.

Â