Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Seven league games until he's had 38 in charge. Will be interesting to see 'a full season' league table since he's taken over! We'll be top four surely?

In terms of ppg we'd have finished 3rd last season if you stretch the average to 38 games.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm slightly nervous about things at the moment.

I absolutely love Emery, I think he's the best manager we could have got at the time and I think he's doing a fantastic job.

My worry is with everything going on off the pitch, which is all a bit of a shambles, I think we are being propped up as a fanbase by the fact things are going well on the pitch.

However, let's be honest, we were shit against palace until the last 10 minutes, and we should probably have lost to Chelsea if they didn't have a man sent off. The Warsaw and Everton performances have been terrible.

My worry is despite our very good start in the league, I don't think we're a million miles away from a downturn in form. I think we've ridden our luck slightly over the past few weeks.
Now that's fine, and totally normal, especially with our injuries and Europe in the mix.

My fear is that the downturn in form will stop "propping up" the fanbase and things could turn nasty quite quickly.

Maybe I'm just being dramatic... but I'm worried

I know where you are coming from . Villa are in danger of turning the crowd from one of ' support first and the performance will follow ' to one of performance first and the support will follow" 

The eroding of the value of a season ticket by the commercial dept means that you are paying big money for a performance that is not guaranteed. You pay this money for a rock concert or a trip to the cinema and you are guaranteed enjoyment and relative value for money. However if you serve up a lack of enjoyment people will vote quickly with their feet and their sounds of displeasure. 

Brummies by nature are all about value for money. We are not blind. So the performances and results will need to continue in order for the commerical changes not to become a bigger and bigger issue. 

Also as a Case in point Tielelmans 150k a week to serve up such a poor performance is going to rankle with many now. Because we are being squeezed in order to give huge wages to a player than didnt earn it. 

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I absolutely love Emery, I think he's the best manager we could have got at the time and I think he's doing a fantastic job.

My worry is with everything going on off the pitch, which is all a bit of a shambles, I think we are being propped up as a fanbase by the fact things are going well on the pitch.

However, let's be honest, we were shit against palace until the last 10 minutes, and we should probably have lost to Chelsea if they didn't have a man sent off. The Warsaw and Everton performances have been terrible.

My worry is despite our very good start in the league, I don't think we're a million miles away from a downturn in form. I think we've ridden our luck slightly over the past few weeks.
Now that's fine, and totally normal, especially with our injuries and Europe in the mix.

My fear is that the downturn in form will stop "propping up" the fanbase and things could turn nasty quite quickly.

Much like the quote society is always three meals away from anarchy, I think football supporters are always only about three bad results away from getting pissed off. We had some discontent last season after losing to Citeh, Arsenal and Leicester in a row.

We pick up 4+ points from Brighton and Wolves, get the points on the board in the conference league, everyone will be right as rain again going into the international break.

I think while we weren’t great against Palace, we could have, maybe should have been in front before they took the lead. 

I am also of the view that while there might be a bit of luck involved in the odd moment, the occasional decision, I think the better teams to an extent kinda generate their own luck. I will of course criticise a soft penalty given to Liverpool in the 94th minute but I accept that you are more likely to be given that penalty if you’re constantly going at the opposition. It can be argued that Bertrand Traore deciding just to hit it from 25 yards has an element of fortune about it and maybe we didn’t deserve to beat Leicester last season in that run. But everyone knows he has that in his locker, that’s one of the reasons why you throw him on, so yeah some luck, but something that’s not without reason.

I’d say the majority of Emery’s victories here haven’t been us clearly outplaying the opposition, the odd one - Man Utd, Bournemouth, Everton in the league. But most have had a certain element of “we just got the better of them here”. I expect that to be the case for a while.

You’re not wrong that the stuff off the pitch is not helping matters and if doesn’t get sorted the club will hear about it even more than they are if/when results go badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This is what I wanted to say but much better written haha. I had zero doubts about anything last year, the performances and off field theatrics are enough inconsequential issues to build up to something consequential. 

Honestly as crazy as it sounds I think Emery's number one wish currently will be that the shirts are replaced ASAP and the marketing team make a huge deal of it to push out the narrative that we are fixing issues. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

With respect I think you are - this team is still work in progress - when you consider the injuries to Emi/Ty /JJ and Moreno, coupled with new signings still settling in, I think we are doing really well.

Come the new year - I am confident we will be really flying high.

Be less worried - all will be fine.

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A few on social media " turning " on him... mind-blowing.

That is plain stupid, but the notion he can do no wrong is too.

He is a very good manager, and whilst I see issues, that don't fill me with glee.....I still feel, he has to be given the latitude to work through difficult spells.

There are many reasons folk put forward as to why, we are playing like we are.....and many have merit.

I too have my own views, but I still maintain, we have to stay with him.....He is a thinker, so he will know whats wrong, even if he is limited, in doing something about it.

I think the injuries, couldn't have happened to worse players, all have that bit of grit and spirit, we desperately need....personally, I think we should have brought in one or two, with a similar personality, easy to say, seeing the injuries we have.

The turning on him bit, is very disappointing, and we have enough of that in cups, we don't want more.

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Just to remind everyone Don Unai hasn’t even had a full seasons worth of league games. 

And I think something ridiculous like only City, Arsenal and Liverpool have more points than us in that time

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Cannot believe certain sections of the crowd booed last night, at both half time in full time, need to give their heads a wobble

I can totally understand why they booed, it was an awful performance, we were shite.

Timing is the thing for me, Emery knows what he's doing and how he wants us to play but some of our players struggle with it... the social media knobs will moan at everything cos its easier than thinking of something constructive. We are still on a huge learning curve both as a team and as fans and both need to have trust and confidence in the man and his plan. This is our most exciting period since MON probably and we should all embrace that

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is shaun, its not defeats, that are concerning in itself, its the manner of them.

We could be playing scintillating football, and still lose away to Newcastle and Liverpool, both very good sides.....

The Crystal palace and Chelsea games renedered maximum points, great....but the performances wasn't convincing for periods of both games.

Warsaw and Everton, was concerning, both performances and results.

I don't know, what our true self is, only time will tell me.....but we need some grit and spirit from somewhere and the talent will inevitably shine.

I have no doubt, we have some truly talented players, I have doubts in our abilty to eek out, the battles and seize the initiative....if we do, I think you will see the talented players shine...at present, I think they are waiting for the battle to be won.

Sorry to continue to beat this drum - but we have 3 top drawer players injured - new signings still settling in - I don’t see how he can even know his best 11 as yet.

I’m of the opinion - we will hand out a few hidings come the new year.

My only gripe - and this is purely self indulgent as I absolutely love the player - he doesn’t give enough minutes to Bertie 

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is plain stupid, but the notion he can do no wrong is too.

100 percent agree with this.

Reasoned critique either way is always welcome and interesting.

I also have my own concerns...and get as wound up as every other fan... however I take a step back and look at the grand scheme.

No Manager gets an infinity rope but Unai Emery deserves a pretty long one as things stand imo.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I can totally understand why they booed, it was an awful performance, we were shite.

Timing is the thing for me, Emery knows what he's doing and how he wants us to play but some of our players struggle with it... the social media knobs will moan at everything cos its easier than thinking of something constructive. We are still on a huge learning curve both as a team and as fans and both need to have trust and confidence in the man and his plan. This is our most exciting period since MON probably and we should all embrace that

I agree....but I wonder sometimes, if its getting a bit too complicated for some of them.....I am not saying I think it is, just a thought going in the he pot of reasons?

There are so many factors, Invested in Unai and his team of coaches.....They have to be given the space and respect, to work through choppy waters.

If its any help....some Newkie fans where questioning Eddie Howes existence, after some of their recent reversals....Fans of Liverpool, were on Talk sport, suggesting Klopps times up.

In order to be good winners, you have to know HOW to lose.

Its Unai's Job, and he has to stay in it......despite my disappointment last night.

PS its when we lose, that he needs our support.....when we win, he doesn't need it ,so much

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

With respect I think you are - this team is still work in progress - when you consider the injuries to Emi/Ty /JJ and Moreno, coupled with new signings still settling in, I think we are doing really well.

Come the new year - I am confident we will be really flying high.

Be less worried - all will be fine.

That wasn’t really my point. I agree I think the team will be fine. I’m extremely excited about this season. 

My point was I’m worried that some of the fanbase might turn if results take a downturn, fuelled by things off the pitch 

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That wasn’t really my point. I agree I think the team will be fine. I’m extremely excited about this season. 

My point was I’m worried that some of the fanbase might turn if results take a downturn, fuelled by things off the pitch 

Of course some will turn. There was idiots booing at HT and FT last night . No wonder we have a bad reputation for that sort of thing 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Read up on Chris Heck

He's an expert in pissing off fanbases. New York, Philadelphia etc. He's creating a negative atmosphere here already with the decisions he's making. 

Â