Unai Emery

PeterSw

I am really not used to this, Villa having an actual professional manager. Dean Smith aside, we have had so many ex-pro's playing at management that actually having a real manager is something of a novelty. Whatever he wants give him. He is a revelation.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing what he's done.

At the beginning of April, we'd been stuck in 11th for s few weeks, and were playing Chelsea. If we'd lost, we'd probably finish 11th. And I think many of us would have taken that.

We're 5th. With a few injuries. And a few pundits have actually talked about us sneaking in the top 4. We won't but what he has done with this squad is simply amazing. 
I know others have games in hand, but that hard, and the games aren't all easy.

Brighton have 9 games in less than 5 weeks - and only Wolves aren't fighting for something out of who they play. And they have to come to Fortress Villa Park.
Spurs are a mess - so could go either way. And they have to come to  Fortress Villa Park.
Liverpool can't defend (but do have a decent run of fixtures, except 1 😉)

Does 6th give a UEFA cup place, given who is in the FA Cup final?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Give the guy a contract for life.

That's my one concern.  Looking at his managerial CV despite doing a good job pretty much everywhere, he doesn't seem to hang around for more than 2 or 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

It's amazing what he's done.

At the beginning of April, we'd been stuck in 11th for s few weeks, and were playing Chelsea. If we'd lost, we'd probably finish 11th. And I think many of us would have taken that.

We're 5th. With a few injuries. And a few pundits have actually talked about us sneaking in the top 4. We won't but what he has done with this squad is simply amazing. 
I know others have games in hand, but that hard, and the games aren't all easy.

Brighton have 9 games in less than 5 weeks - and only Wolves aren't fighting for something out of who they play. And they have to come to Fortress Villa Park.
Spurs are a mess - so could go either way. And they have to come to  Fortress Villa Park.
Liverpool can't defend (but do have a decent run of fixtures, except 1 😉)

Does 6th give a UEFA cup place, given who is in the FA Cup final?

Yes., 6th gets Europa. Man United vs man city in fa Cup.

7th gets European conference league

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That's my one concern.  Looking at his managerial CV despite doing a good job pretty much everywhere, he doesn't seem to hang around for more than 2 or 3 seasons.

I think that's okay, if he feels he's taken us as far as he can take us we'll still be in a better position than we were 12 months ago. 

Needs to win every game for rest of season to overtake Gregory as most successful PL manager after first 25 games.

Going unbeaten in the next 4 would equal our PL record unbeaten run of 14. Earning 8 points in next 4 would match the points return from this run also.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Needs to win every game for rest of season to overtake Gregory as most successful PL manager after first 25 games.

Going unbeaten in the next 4 would equal our PL record unbeaten run of 14. Earning 8 points in next 4 would match the points return from this run also.

Gregory's record is mad. Has anyone else come close besides Unai?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Gregory's record is mad. Has anyone else come close besides Unai?

O'Neill had a 13 game unbeaten run. Smith had 12 in the Championship. Atkinson only other PL manager with 10 game unbeaten run. MacAllister (3 games) and McLeish (7 games) had a combined run of 10 unbeaten.

Atkinson 2nd to Gregory for points in first 25 games with 47. O'Leary 3rd with 36. Your favourite Gerrard 4th with 34.

Edited by tomsky_11

8 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

O'Neill had a 13 game unbeaten run. Smith had 12 in the Championship. Atkinson only other PL manager with 10 game unbeaten run. MacAllister (3 games) and McLeish (7 games) had a combined run of 10 unbeaten.

Atkinson 2nd to Gregory for points in first 25 games with 47. O'Leary 3rd with 36. Your favourite Gerrard 4th with 34.

Unai's 3rd in that list, is he not? 

The absolute disrespect of that BBC social media post saying " Should Chelsea or Tottenham consider bringing him in? "

As if ASTON VILLA, Sawiris or Emery himself have no say in this and it's just a **** given that if they " consider bringing him in " he is going. lol

As if we are Brentford or Fulham ffs. To be fair, even if we were, the sheer disrespect and disregard is infuriating!

EDIT: Screenshot and link attached, I had to comment.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02A8GCVMUS7Ar8Eh3AMbF7FeQMbEZtqLFKzFyLBF2843fUJv1mFuMomXY61jGt7Rbbl&id=100044482147667&mibextid=Nif5oz

Screenshot_20230426_155630_Facebook-min.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think that's okay, if he feels he's taken us as far as he can take us we'll still be in a better position than we were 12 months ago. 

Arsenal aside ( Were in transitions ), and PSG maybe to an extent ( Monopoly in France and not really much more ), although arguable, I don't think he has been at a club with the ceiling and owners we currently have.

Even getting into Champions League with Villareal, there is not much further he could go.

With us, if he get's us into Champions League... the sky is the limit. We are Premier League, and undoubtedly he would be backed.

Everything has fallen into place at the right time for this to be a mutually beneficial long term partnership.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I occasionally think about how Emery has won more trophies (11) than Small Heath, ever (9). And I'm being pretty generous to the latter by counting their Third Division title...

Edited by wishywashy

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I occasionally think about how Emery has won more trophies (11) than Small Heath, ever (9). And I'm being pretty generous to the latter by counting their Third Division title...

Are you including the Leyland DAF in that figure 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Mammoth job the man has done. I love how fans are now clapping when the ball is recycled and passed back to the centre backs. We have been educated.

The guy is a miracle worker really. 

Â