Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Growing up in the 90s, people of my age will probably agree, fighting for 4th-8th is where I feel we should be, historically as a club. Its where I’ve always thought is our place in the food chain. Before Chelsea and City completely changed football, I think im right in saying we were the 4th most successful club in England. You’d have some good seasons, and poor seasons of course, but a club our size should never have sunk as much as we did; allowing for other clubs to steal a march.

Anyway, The fact he has us back there within his first 6 months of being here is pretty remarkable.

Indeed. We forget that the 90s saw us finish 2nd twice, 4th once, 5th once and 3 other top 6 finishes too (97-98, 97-99 and 99-00).

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Stevo71 said:

Just watched the whole thing on AVTV, but I do have a membership - not sure if that's needed for the pressers.

The guy is just spellbinding - his talk of key moments sharpens the mind so well to focus just on what's at hand in the short term. I believe there is talk of the long term, but strictly behind closed doors. Manage the expectations and, should we have a reverse, it won't feel like the sky fell in.

He is genuinely so respectful of any opposition we face.

Does anyone know whether he did take the squad out for a meal recently, or if that's a myth?  

Cafe Verona in Boldmere was mentioned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Indeed. We forget that the 90s saw us finish 2nd twice, 4th once, 5th once and 3 other top 6 finishes too (97-98, 97-99 and 99-00).

I don't agree with the "belonging" mantra, that you should be a top side regardless of how you act. The likes of United and Arsenal fans that throw their toys out the pram when they only get top 4, and demand their manager is sacked.

I say that,  even though I've also used the saying myself to say Chelsea are "back where they belong in mid table now".

I get the sentiment though. We absolutely are a big enough club in terms of fan base and historical achievement, to want us competing around the upper reaches of the top division. Its a hope or an expectation, but without a divine right.

I am so pleased and feel it is right that we are where we are currently. I'm optimistic Emery will keep us here as long as he's in charge. But I do hope we never reach the entitled levels of the scum 6.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The confidence is absolutely oozing out of him in the presser.

He's in rare air at the moment:

- He knows what he wants and how he wants his team to play

- He has a squad that is eager to learn and improve, and who play for each other

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Came on to ask the same. I only get little snippets on youtube or facebook.

His press conferences are on AVTV every week, from Thursday. I don't pay any money to AVTV anymore (so I can't watch the full 90s) but I can watch most of the videos for free.

I am however still signed up to it with a password and my email address. I wonder if it might be simply that which is preventing you and Don Simon from having access to the presser interviews? Perhaps just a case of registering with an email address and password. Most of its videos are available without paying a monthly subscription.

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

For those who care on xG the averages 1.37 xG to 1.44 xGA under Emery. Skewed by those 3 games to Leicester, City and Arsenal.

We 1.47 xG to 1.12 xGA are the averages if we remove the three games where it all briefly broke down.

It was 1.27 xG to 1.2xGA in Emerys games up to Leicester game and it's been 1.65 xG to 1.06 xGA since those 3 games (our current good run).

So to me there is an underlying trend upwards with Emery with the exception of the 3 game blip.

We are benefiting from scoring first in a lot in games and playing a lot of time in an advantageous game state. 

This isn't a shot at you but a couple podcast I listen to absolutely hate Villa under Emery and the only bullet they have left is our xG vs xGA. I'm actually taking joy now in tuning in each week so I can hear whatever their new excuse is for how we are still winning. I honestly think a large section of statboys can't get over that we fired the heir apparent in Stevie Me and somehow got better. 

I don't hate or disagree with using xG as a metric for future success.

But it's important to notice that Emery has only made 1 signing so far.

Edited by Pinebro

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

He's in rare air at the moment:

- He knows what he wants and how he wants his team to play

- He has a squad that is eager to learn and improve, and who play for each other

I agree. I'm not even sure he thought the upturn in fortunes would be possible so early. It's actually benefited him massively though imo, as it's reinforced his aura as a top manager within the club and eradicated any question marks anyone may have had. He's  completely dismantled the idea Gerrard needed more time and most importantly of all.... He's got the players believing in themselves on a whole new level. He's in a wonderful situation of harmony with those he needs to influence on and off the pitch. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Game state has a huge influence on xG and yet it is outright ignored by many online analysts. We've scored the most goals in the first 15 minutes than anyone else this season. We're the 4th best team in terms of being in a game in a winning position. The ever-pragmatic Emery usually tends to slow the game down a bit in this state, and late in games can go full 6-2-2: naturally conceding a lot of shots, but usually of poor quality.

The Chelsea game in particular is a perfect example: Villa take the lead very early on, and Chelsea end up with 27 shots on goal, but only 2/3 were of genuinely decent quality. xG is obviously tilted heavily in their favour (2.1-0.9) as these shots accumulate, but watching the game? You see a team protecting a lead taken early on against a team frustrated, struggling and resorting to just booting poor shots towards the best goalkeeper in the world. Villa were in command of the game tactically, but the early goal + ability and willingness to restrict Chelsea to constant, hopeless pot-shots for 80% of the game distorts the xG.

It's all moot anyway, as in recent games we've been winning on xG anyway, as you've said (6 out of our last 8 games we've gotten more xG than the opposition). Just those games at Leicester and Chelsea where the xG absolutely doesn't reflect what happened in the game for various reasons (plus the hammerings at Man City and Arsenal) that make it look a bit average

What's with this narrative that Chelsea never looked like they were going to score against us and we locked them up defensively?  I was on the verge of having a heart attack the entire game because they dominated possession and were very close to scoring many times.  Yes, McGinn also hit the post and Ollie had another good chance which was saved, but I still don't know how Chelsea didn't score at least one goal that game.  Go back to the match thread and see how many posts there were about how it was only going to be a matter of time before they equalized.  xG is leading metric to predict outcomes that haven't happened yet (winning the game).  It isn't always accurate because other factors, like luck/confidence, are variables not included in that metric, but on a long enough timeline when they're reduced, it can predict if a team is headed in the right direction or not.  

It's ok to admit that we're playing extremely well and possibly overachieving from where we should be via xG/xGA/xPTS, but it doesn't mean those metrics are garbage and we should just ignore anything that doesn't indicate we're going to win 8 more games in a row and finish 3rd in the table.  

• Thanks 1

Â