Unai Emery

PeterSw

The thing I hadn’t really appreciated with him until he joined is how good an all round manager he is. I knew he was a good tactician, but I guess all the negative publicity around his stint at Arsenal and the mockery of his English covered up just how astute a man manager he is.

He really seems to get the psychology bang on. He knows when to praise, when to criticise, when to demand more, when to give the players a break.

Just find him a fascinating manager tbh. Hope he stays here a long time.

• Like 3

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RadioTom said:

I also think his assistant doesn’t get anywhere near enough credit - he’s an experienced, quality appointment that I think complements Unai perfectly. 

Completely agree.

And yet, it can't be a coincidence none of the coaching staff have done interviews. Under Deano you had Richard Kelly, John Terry and Craig Shakespeare giving interviews, same with Michael Beale under that ****.

With Emery, players get the attention. Coaches in the shadows.

Work. Work. Work. Work. Work. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Completely agree.

And yet, it can't be a coincidence none of the coaching staff have done interviews. Under Deano you had Richard Kelly, John Terry and Craig Shakespeare giving interviews, same with Michael Beale under that ****.

With Emery, players get the attention. Coaches in the shadows.

Work. Work. Work. Work. Work. 

Our coaches are just as elite as our manager. The Basque way. Work work work work eat work work eat work eat 

Unai is a beautiful man. His presser was impeccable again. I always watch the presser and I’ve never known the room to be as silent as it was this week. He absolutely had them hanging onto his every word. It was masterful. Give that man a 10 year contract with a compulsory ten year extension.

• Like 2

Isn't Unai's number two the guy who was Rafa's at Plop and they fell apart once he left?

Every single piece of the jigsaw is important.

Not just Unai but having the right people in other positions.

And now it looks like the same in recruitment.

Finally, this beautiful club is acting like a top tier elite club.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Isn't Unai's number two the guy who was Rafa's at Plop and they fell apart once he left?

Every single piece of the jigsaw is important.

Not just Unai but having the right people in other positions.

And now it looks like the same in recruitment.

Finally, this beautiful club is acting like a top tier elite club.

Yeah he is. Carragher said he's the best fitness coach he had during his career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Where do people watch his press conferences?! I can't find it on YouTube. AVTV is **** useless. I'd love to see The Maestro in action, but don't know where to find him!

But it is on AVTV, I just watched it there. 16 minutes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

One of remarkable thing in Newcastle game and most of our recent results is this is the fittest looking Villa team I can remember in a long time. Often in the past we seemed levels below the top teams fitness wise

That’s why I think next season we’ll be even stronger. With a full pre-season of analysis and improvements in them they’ll be even fitter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

Links to the full interview from there if you want it. 

Impressive thing about this is that when asked about the win against Newcastle he says he doesn’t like to dwell unless it’s to analyse and improve.

Australia when they dominated cricket for so long were the same. “We won yes but we can smash em next time” 

• Like 1

For those who care on xG the averages 1.37 xG to 1.44 xGA under Emery. Skewed by those 3 games to Leicester, City and Arsenal.

We 1.47 xG to 1.12 xGA are the averages if we remove the three games where it all briefly broke down.

It was 1.27 xG to 1.2xGA in Emerys games up to Leicester game and it's been 1.65 xG to 1.06 xGA since those 3 games (our current good run).

So to me there is an underlying trend upwards with Emery with the exception of the 3 game blip.

We are benefiting from scoring first in a lot in games and playing a lot of time in an advantageous game state. 
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Where do people watch his press conferences?! I can't find it on YouTube. AVTV is **** useless. I'd love to see The Maestro in action, but don't know where to find him!

Came on to ask the same. I only get little snippets on youtube or facebook.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just watched the whole thing on AVTV, but I do have a membership - not sure if that's needed for the pressers.

The guy is just spellbinding - his talk of key moments sharpens the mind so well to focus just on what's at hand in the short term. I believe there is talk of the long term, but strictly behind closed doors. Manage the expectations and, should we have a reverse, it won't feel like the sky fell in.

He is genuinely so respectful of any opposition we face.

Does anyone know whether he did take the squad out for a meal recently, or if that's a myth?  

• Like 1

Â