Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

I feel like Emery can change the mindset of fans too, which will improve the atmosphere and make VP a fortress. 

This is it the fans need to buy in too. Misplaced passes or a missed tackle are often meant with a loud audible groan and quickly followed by berating.

The fans have to see the bigger picture and support the team for the full 90 minutes. 

I like attacking the Holte in the first half too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Positive energy? He needs to come and sit where I do 🤣 

But on a serious note love the bloke. We’re in good hands at last.

People may think he made a typo by saying PARLK instead of Park... But this is merely more display of his authentic genius of saying Villa Park in his own accent.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Don Unai gets it right again. 

😅 "Don Unai", I like that! 🇪🇸 In English I believe that's more or less like Sir Unai, I think.

Steven Gerrard's first six PL games were W4 D0 L2 which was a brilliant start to be fair, regardless of how things went after that,  steadily downhill and him turning out to be not good unfortunately.

But Sir Unai has trumped him with W4 D1 L1! Wow, hats off, that is superb, even better than SG's first six and Unai's were more difficult, with Man Utd at VP and Spurs away. I was annoyed yesterday at half-time but in the Premier League overall he has made a magnificent start, gracias Don Unai! : >

40 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This is it the fans need to buy in too. Misplaced passes or a missed tackle are often meant with a loud audible groan and quickly followed by berating.

The fans have to see the bigger picture and support the team for the full 90 minutes. 

I like attacking the Holte in the first half too.

Yeah. I think that happens at most big clubs if things are not going well (and things have gone quite poorly for us over the years) - look at Chelsea fans now. I believe that supporters can be educated but most of the managers (in the last 12 years) we haven't had somebody willing to build a meaningful relationship with supporters. Obviously Smith had the connection but I think he did not want to use that as an excuse, it would have been a cheat code for him or be seen as pandering. I can understand that.

Emery is the first manager to actively try and build a connection with the fanbase, using social media and his press conference to convey strong messages to supporters. Very smart. Good psychology too. We are a Family.

I love his new word UTVAddiction. I'm an #Emeryaddict 🤣

Edited by Villa_Vids

2 hours ago, MCU said:

What a wonderful post he's just put on Instagram (sorry I can't share it). There's something different about Unai, I hope we stick with him even during the inevitable rough patches we'll go through.

Bit better than Steven keeping something Liverpool related in his profile pic throughout his entire tenure here ain't it?

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN is obviously right. Unai hasn't needed to do much to achieve that, seeing as Gerrard made absolutely no effort at all.

I'm less sure about this, though I don't argue against it. I don't think that Villa fans are any more miserable ( 😉) than fans of any other club. It's circumstances. It's hope, disappointment, fear, entertainment, pride, antagonism to opponents, game tempo, refereeing, weather, kick off time...

For absolutely any side, at any level, if the team is playing well, trying, looking like they want to win, the fans of that club will be on their side. If the team is looking disjointed, unconvinced themselves of their aims, tentative...etc, then the fan will be the same. It didn't used to be like that, it used to be a bit different, fans would be singing before kick off, anticipating the game to come - but now everything id televised, multiple times a week, fans are being asked to pay £50, not 50p. Times have changed. The "game" is now "a product" (sponsored by betForexGulfstate.com365Lager). We are now "consumers" of a media show, there to provide an audio-visual backdrop. And that's the same whether it's The Emirates (see) or the Etihad (see, again). A few grounds and sets of fans are still reminiscent of the old rawness, bit it's mostly theme park, cartoon stuff. VP, Anfield, Elland Road, Goodison and so on can be, still proper football places, but really, in all truth, it's all a bit soft focus these days.

So back to Unai, he's right, getting fans onside is kind of part of the essential make up of the club being as good as it can be, but really, it's easy - give us, please, a team that matches the words, matches the clear effort and commitment he's putting in, the obsession he has and he and the team won't want for backing from the supporters. Ther will always be misery arses and moaners, everywhere, but most folks aren't like that.

I think it’s a particularly pronounced feature of clubs with big stadiums and proud histories who aren’t competing at the level they once did. It magnifies the effect when the crowd turns.

There are things you can say as manager of Bournemouth or Huddersfield that you can’t as manager of Villa.

Agree it happens everywhere, but I think Villa managers get caught out by it a lot.

Just now, Pongo's Socks said:

Nah, not having it. The only reason he was still at VP at midnight was because the traffic was still shit outside😜

Maybe the groundsman closed the gates and he was accidentally locked in

2 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Nah, not having it. The only reason he was still at VP at midnight was because the traffic was still shit outside😜

Haha I was going to say he was still in the queue waiting for his half time chips and beer 😂

• Haha 3

With all the injury time the game finished a few minutes after 10pm.

Given he'd have 10 minutes with the players and then do press for 30-40 minutes that gets you past 11pm and then he might've invited some friends to watch the game so would then catch up with them in directors lounge. Then he might go to his office to watch some clips of the game aswell.

Waiting for the insta post that he's at VP around midnight after a 3pm game!

3 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Lose to Southampton he’s gotta walk…

In all seriousness been very impressed with him, love the fact he is trying to build a bond with the fans on Insta etc. 

You can sense he has the complete respect of the players and his attention to detail is bearing fruit.

We need to stick with him when the going gets tough, will take a couple of windows to get in his players and move on the deadwood! But the future finally looks bright.

I’m already worrying Athletico Madrid might try poach him in the summer 🙈

No chance. He wanted away from LA Liga. He's also a romantic, he wants the challenge of the Villa job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Emery’s ppg ratio would have us finish on about 81 points currently. My expectation levels for next season are set.

If it carries on like this my expectation levels for this season are set!

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

So glad we brought him in when we did. There would have been a fair few PL clubs after him now if he was still at Villarreal.

I still can't believe we got him tbh, and how a "bigger" club didn't snap him up earlier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

I still can't believe we got him tbh, and how a "bigger" club didn't snap him up earlier.

You've got Pep and Klopp as managers proven to be on his level. You could claim Conte if you wanted, but I'm in no rush.

Â