Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Don Unai is here for a minimum of 5 /6 seasons then we will win the league title at least once. 

I really hope so. Feels like he would have been the perfect appointment when MON walked. Could have been our Ranieri. 

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Who was the French reporter obsessed with Emi Martinez at the press conference? 

Desperately trying to get Unai to say something to give him a negative headline about Emi in his French rag.  Unai embarrassed him. 

21 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Desperately trying to get Unai to say something to give him a negative headline about Emi in his French rag.  Unai embarrassed him. 

Unai was professional. It is all about the "now" and Aston Villa. I don't care about French grievances with Emi, it is in the past. He is a World Cup winner. 

Edited by Villa_Vids

The Emery show! Aston Villa owners have given new boss TOTAL control and he's planning big changes - with Matteo Guendouzi and Arnaut Danjuma the next targets in his revolution and Lucas Digne's future in doubt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11629331/Aston-Villa-Unai-Emery-total-control-hes-planning-big-changes.html

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm a doddery old guy who's hearing and other bits and pieces aren't anywhere near what they used to be, but I can understand Unai clearly. His command of English is easily good enough and he's to be commended on his multi lingual ability. 

I mean, how many words do footballers understand really,  anyway. 

You only need a lexicon of about 50 or 60 and you are golden. 

No, being serious his language is fine. If Bielsa can get his ideas across without speaking a word of English, then Unai is absolutely fine. I don't really understand why people keep bringing it up tbh. I think some journos are just looking for an angle to attack.

Edited by HKP90
typo

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Just watched the press conference. 

Anyone think that the journos give him a slightly harder time than Gerrard? They actually asked him some quite decent probing stuff as opposed to just trying to be matey.

Althought that French guy was getting nothing from Unai. Was clearly after a headline about Emi’s behaviour and almost got a history of Aston Villa instead.

Definitely. They'll give it the biggun when you have a nice polite man sat there. Shrivelled like dicks on a cold morning with slippy G sat there frowning at them.

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I feel a bit mixed about this.

On one hand, I really like the idea of having a managerial and recruitment setup similar to that of Brentford and Brighton where anyone is somewhat replaceable and the club have a structure in place to crack on without much turbulence in the event that a player/manager/coach or whoever would leave. That's the route I thought we were going down but I feel between Lange and Purslow they've done a pretty poor job of it. Things have felt very scattergun since Jack left and I don't think that approach has worked at all.

On the other hand, in my time of being a Villa fan we haven't had a manager with the status and credentials that Emery has. There is a part of me which just thinks "give him the keys to the town" and let's see what happens. In the coming years it could put us in a very good place. The only issue is, what happens when Emery leaves? 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I feel a bit mixed about this.

On one hand, I really like the idea of having a managerial and recruitment setup similar to that of Brentford and Brighton where anyone is somewhat replaceable and the club have a structure in place to crack on without much turbulence in the event that a player/manager/coach or whoever would leave. That's the route I thought we were going down but I feel between Lange and Purslow they've done a pretty poor job of it. Things have felt very scattergun since Jack left and I don't think that approach has worked at all.

On the other hand, in my time of being a Villa fan we haven't had a manager with the status and credentials that Emery has. There is a part of me which just thinks "give him the keys to the town" and let's see what happens. In the coming years it could put us in a very good place. The only issue is, what happens when Emery leaves? 

The last Manager who demanded total control at Villa was MON. Now that didn't end so well, but we were knocking on the door of greatness for a while. And Emery's a better manager tactically than MON was by some distance. If he's also better at recruiting, which seemed to be MON's weakness, then this could be some ride. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Because team ethic is all you need to get points in this league as we all know. The absence of points means an absence of team ethic, this is logic.

So just to track the course of this discussion, just checking I've got it:

a) Emery is asked how he will improve results - answer: make the squad good teammates

b ) Keyblade - this is exactly what Smith did

c) Me - but his teams were poor when Grealish wasn't playing - doesn't suggest they were good teammates

d) Keyblade - what has being good teammates to do with improving results?

OUCH!

The point Unai was trying to make was that he is trying to change the mentality of the team in the long term. Fostering interpersonal relationships between the team is one way he highlighted he would accomplish that. Would that contribute to better results in the long term? Yes that's the hope, but the immediate concern is the mentality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Most insightful press conference I've seen in awhile. Great listen

Really was. Says all the right things, but actually means them and will actively work towards making us have the right values throughout the side.

and Thank God he will have the final say on recruitment. We’ve been haemorrhaging money with zero plan or any joined up thinking. Id put my house on him proving in one window he knows what he’s doing and that all those number crunchers behind the scenes are a complete waste of time and will be rendered obsolete before long. He’ll build a side that are humble and hard working; the key to any side that will compete week in week out. Love the family comments, it’s exactly what we need.

I just love the guy, I can listen to him for hours. Despite being disappointed by Villa more times than I care to remember, it really feels like we’re in a good place now. If Emery can’t bring success to us, I don’t know if anyone can. 

I think with Emery in charge we can have a more rapid change to the squad. We'll be able to pick up players for reasonable prices which fit into the roles he needs in the squad. If we get another two players in Guendouzi and say Deloufeu. Carlos back fit we're already 4 players different to the team we have today. I would imagine then another 2/3 would come in summer too and then we are looking at a different team come beginning of next season.

I just want us to do well for the remainder of the season, get a good points per game haul and end in the top 10. It gives us some positivity going into the new season

I think the difference between Emery having full control and MON is that he will treat it as a privilege , not a right. And he will do everything possible to repay the faith put in him.  What we will get in return for the faith shown in him is the 24/7 commitment to making us better. There won't be any grandstanding in the press about lack of budget. I believe he will treat the budget like it is his own money. Like Wenger did. Sometimes he will wheel and deal. Sometimes he will break our transfer record. But it will not be wasted. He knows he isnt at the richest club in the world. But he is at a club that will do everything it can , at every single moment ,  to maximise it's potential. Thats all anyone can really ask for. 

I have every belief that if he negotiates the sticky moments that will come , and times when he is questioned by the fanbase and the press   he will come out the other end with Villa in a far stronger place , and me as a fan no longer worried about capitulation . 

• Like 2

If your policy is to give the manager total control, it won't work, because the chances of having a decent manager are slim. With Emery though, it's different, the guy has proven he can be trusted. The two approaches can still work together though, data can confirm Emery's instincts for example. I doubt Emery is going to sign anyone who is not already successful when it comes to data. Lange might want to move on though.

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think with Emery in charge we can have a more rapid change to the squad. We'll be able to pick up players for reasonable prices which fit into the roles he needs in the squad.

Agreed. If you look at the likes of Brentford, Brighton and Fulham who are all having decent seasons, whilst having some good players they are teams that are stronger than the sum of their parts. 

I think Emery will be the same. Than might mean we are maybe underwhelmed with one or two signings, but I trust Emery to know exactly what attributes are needed in the squad. 

Â