Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

He's not blameless but this was definitely a case where the problem was more in the attitude/application of the players rather than the tactics or selection.

I blame the players more for tonight.

But it’s countering those who are saying “Can’t blame Emery…”.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, M_Afro said:

Today is on Unai. He chose to play a weaker team and we lost. Having said that, the players also let us down with such a poor performance. We were unlikely to win the cup so it doesn’t really matter but I don’t understand why we have to rest players. Our squad must be the most underused squad in Europe. They are virtually part timers. 48 league games and 2 cup games a season should be fairly easy to manage!

You say that we were unlikely to win it. but there are 7 Premier League teams out already, and more all Premier League ties to come, where we would have had a straightforwardish away trip to Stoke.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Today is on Unai. He chose to play a weaker team and we lost. Having said that, the players also let us down with such a poor performance. We were unlikely to win the cup so it doesn’t really matter but I don’t understand why we have to rest players. Our squad must be the most underused squad in Europe. They are virtually part timers. 48 league games and 2 cup games a season should be fairly easy to manage!

A weaker team that is probably being paid 100 times more than what the Stevenage players are.

All they had to do was turn up and try today but that was far too much of an ask.

It's embarassing and were a laughing stock.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

See I disagree with that too

I don't blame emery I don't blame the recruitment team, this as a second string on paper is pretty crazy, look at how Newcastle and Leeds lined up and then compare it to our team today, we're miles ahead of them in terms of quality, the recruitment team have done their job... Our 5th choice CM is a Belgian International who was at the world cup last month,our 3rd choice AMC is a former Brazilian international who once cost £10m, have we ever had a team with this much experience and international caps and career transfer value running this deep?

And yet we played like it was a training game where no one gave a shit

Everything today IMO is the mental side of football and how bad and weak at it Aston Villa are as a club 

Yes, the players were good enough to win, it was an attitude problem today. Similar to the first half vs Wolves. 

We we’re far too casual.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

You should be able to trust your squad though .

You should. But we can’t. How many times over the years have we had supposedly straight forward FYP games and lost because we’ve played our second string who have put put in a shit performance?

We’re just not good enough to do it. Unless we just accept that cup competitions are there to give our shit players a run out and we’ll never actually win one

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Did anyone look at that team selection and think we were in danger? It was a reasonably strong side against a 4th division team.

We've learned a lot about the cowardly **** in this team, and I'd support selling the vast majority of them. We're not going to get someone better than Emery to rebuild this squad into something with less a weak, soft underbelly.

There was definitely enough quality in the starting line up to win that at a canter. We never played like we were too fussed about winning though.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You should. But we can’t. How many times over the years have we had supposedly straight forward FYP games and lost because we’ve played our second string who have put put in a shit performance?

We’re just not good enough to do it. Unless we just accept that cup competitions are there to give our shit players a run out and we’ll never actually win one

But it’s good man management to Use the squad it sends a message if you play well enough you earn your spot in the starting 11 ,  clearly it backfired tonight and plenty will be further down the pecking order.

I think the problem is I would not mind losing in the way we did if we had a a bunch of youth players out there like Feeney, Raikhy and Kadan Young etc. At least they might have shown some respect, bottle and fight. It appears once again our 2nd string are gutless in another cup competition. The recruitment over the last 2 years has been on the whole terrible bar a few exceptions, I am so sure Unai realises this now and the rebuild job on his hands. Its surely time in the summer to move a number of these on and bringing through some of the younger players we cannot just keep carrying this dead wood who are never going to be good enough. 

• Like 1

He had a great start and his 4-4-2 set up will work well against teams that come to play or try and win. It wasn't good against Wolves and wasn't good again today.

We have a flat back 4, Cash rarely ventures forward at all now and too often went backwards with his passes, this is obviously a tactical reason but I don't understand it when we have two DMs on the pitch. We are basically attacking with 3 players, it's not enough, its way too cautious.

3 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

"I'm upset". "Each game gives us more information"

Some of these guys have played their last game for us. 

The information in question is our squad is average at best and their is a chronic lack of creativity and movement in the final third.

Most of the team put out today need to be let go

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

But it’s good man management to Use the squad it sends a message if you play well enough you earn your spot in the starting 11 ,  clearly it backfired tonight and plenty will be further down the pecking order.

It’s only good man management if you get results. And we never do

21 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

what balls.  he picked a team that was easily capable of beating Stevenage.  his tactics were reasonably ok.  one person is responsible for that result.  Dendonker.  get rid of him and we're fine again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

You should be able to trust your squad though .

What does that comment even mean? So, because we have 20 odd players, it means we should trust them, regardless of ability? 

Olsen has arguably cost us our place in both cup competitions this year. Why was he picked today? Why do we have two loan players who’ve hardly kicked a ball this season and who are both clearly f*****g shit, playing in a completely new back 4? 

I’ll praise Emery when he wins games and even if we lose some as long as we show some semblance of good play. He fu****d up today thinking he could play a makeshift back 5 and it backfired on him. It means we’re out the cup. 

On to the next game. 

• Like 3

Give him an absolute blank cheque to sign whoever he wants. **** any input from anyone else. Lange has got basically every signing wrong and the fans have also been wrong in wanting the likes of Buendia and Bailey.

If he wants a 90 year old for £150m just let him **** do it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:

what balls.  he picked a team that was easily capable of beating Stevenage.  his tactics were reasonably ok.  one person is responsible for that result.  Dendonker.  get rid of him and we're fine again.

Or even just chalk it up to a mistake and lets not over react.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â