Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players were doing as instructed under Gerrard simple as that. He was strangling them in a restricted set up that never deviated. He was inexperienced, naive and unfortunately a little clueless.

Polar opposite Emery, clearly has a plan but it’s fluid and changes constantly. It’s refreshing watching a master at work. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Remarkable manager. He’s going to transform us over the next couple of seasons. We’d have 0 points in those two games if Gerrard was in charge.

He must be loving it too, he basically can build a Premier League club in whatever way he wants.

I know it's the Emery thread but everytime we achieve something it makes me more frustrated with the previous manager. It's clear as day now that the previous fella had zero charisma and alienated a lot of players - that anyone in the media still defends the fraud is madness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He must be loving it too, he basically can build a Premier League club in whatever way he wants.

He looked genuinely chuffed in his post match interview.

Not in a cocky or self serving way either. Just seems genuine bloke.

• Like 1

The manager is everything in the PL now, you can't just get away with having better players than the other team. Every little detail is covered and every club has players worthy of playing in the league, it's not like the old days where the manager would just tell his players to go out and enjoy the match. 

There are so many good managers in the league now, Wolves have just appointed a well respected manager themselves and they are bottom of the league. 

The players are partly to blame but our failure in his tenure has really shown up how poor a manager Gerrard really is. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good insight from Mischa on one of the Villa groups. He's probably the best posters on there and very knowledgeable.

" One of the issues with both Dean and Gerrard is they made a point of emphasising the importance of having two quality players in every position …yet only actually utilised their squad if injuries occurred …

Only 14 players had 10 starts or more last season …Emery when at Villarreal that number jumps to 21…

Our substitutions in general were very predictable under Dean and Gerrard …the famous Anwar for Trez swap …

With Emery lots of players see minutes even if it’s as role players…Chukwueze for instance on the face of it doesn’t seem rated by Emery cos he doesn’t start much …but the reality is Emery saw him as a super sub…someone quick and direct to unleash on tired legs …

We’re seeing the use of fullbacks off the bench…

This is the type of manager you don’t buy backups for …you fill your squad with quality options cos he will rotate lineups and in game these players will be role players …there is a tangible use to depth beyond just coming in when someone is injured …

January and beyond will be great when we can add more players to the existing core that we have… "

Reminds me of one of the rugby managers (I think it was Eddie Jones), when he was questioned by journalist about why he’d dropped a player to the bench. 

He basically said he wasn’t dropped. His role had changed. It’s a squad game and for that particular game he valued his impact from the bench over his impact starting. 

I think that’s a mindset that needs to creep into football too

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Reminds me of one of the rugby managers (I think it was Eddie Jones), when he was questioned by journalist about why he’d dropped a player to the bench. 

He basically said he wasn’t dropped. His role had changed. It’s a squad game and for that particular game he valued his impact from the bench over his impact starting. 

I think that’s a mindset that needs to creep into football too

Exactly. It's called game management. Look at the T20 final earlier. Stokes moved up the order and Moe Ali brought in when it should have been Woakes as a calm old head at a time Pakistan were getting a few quick wickets. Won England the game.

Edited by stewiek2

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I'm a bit worried Chelsea might come in for Emery soon. I hope we put a big buy out clause for him. 

Unai has seen that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. PSG basically a version of Chelsea. Their demands. You don’t get time to put down roots etc. We are a good fit for him. I’d be more worried if he hadn’t been at PSG and Arsenal. He knows the inner workings of the “ big club “ and how murky it can be. 

• Like 3

what a job Emery has done tbh in just 2 games, i know Gerrard won 4 in 6 when he arrived, but this feels a little different to me, i felt we were more in a mess after Gerrard left than when Gerrard took over from Deano, i was genuinely concerned about where we might end up this season (before we appointed Emery).

After Gerrard was sacked and we had wasted the "better" run of games, i was really concerned about the Manure > Brighton > Liverpool > Spurs run of games, i really thought we would be in big trouble by now and early Jan.

Lets imagine we had lost versus Manure and Brighton, we would be on 12 points, 18th or 19th in the league and 2 points from safety with Liverpool and Spurs as our next 2 games after a break where the players probably wouldnt be overly confident knowing the position they were in.

But, here we are with two wins, 18 points and up to 12th with some breathing space.

all i can say is.....phew! 😆

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what a job Emery has done tbh in just 2 games, i know Gerrard won 4 in 6 when he arrived, but this feels a little different to me, i felt we were more in a mess after Gerrard left than when Gerrard took over from Deano, i was genuinely concerned about where we might end up this season (before we appointed Emery).

After Gerrard was sacked and we had wasted the "better" run of games, i was really concerned about the Manure > Brighton > Liverpool > Spurs run of games, i really thought we would be in big trouble by now and early Jan.

Lets imagine we had lost versus Manure and Brighton, we would be on 12 points, 18th or 19th in the league and 2 points from safety with Liverpool and Spurs as our next 2 games after a break where the players probably wouldnt be overly confident knowing the position they were in.

But, here we are with two wins, 18 points and up to 12th with some breathing space.

all i can say is.....phew! 😆

It makes the world of difference. Gives us more space to implement the style Emery wants. Means we can go into those games not scraping for our lives for points.

• Like 1

Â