Unai Emery

PeterSw

8 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Still buzzing. Its a double delight to see some pundits so bitter we managed to get him. 

Same...  Still can't believe we pulled off bringing him here to manage us!  This was the kind of manager we were all hoping would be the one to replace Smith last season.

Hilarious to see fans of all the other clubs either looking at us jealously or complaining about how it's a horrible decision for him because Villa are somehow a step down from Villareal in their eyes.  I saw a Wolves fan on Reddit basically losing his mind over the fact that we signed Emery but they couldn't even get Michael Beale to take over for their failure of a nothing European manager.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definite reasons to be sceptical but overall, I think he's the best person we could have got hold of. Anyone better was simply unattainable and he's only had very few bad moments in his career. Unfortunately a lot of them happened in England so that is brought more sharply into focus. 

I do think he had a bad run and the Arsenal fans expected more from the club, it was post-Wenger and they were slowly having to adjust to the idea that other teams like Man City were suddenly a team finishing higher than them regularly and Champions League football wasn't a given. Breaking records in the window and paying players like Ozil extortionate money, ending up in 8th at that part of the season and failing in the cups was too much to bare at the time. 

He's luckily coming in when we've been so poor and I think he will really get the best out of a lot of the under-performing players. Smith and Lange built a good squad of decent characters who I think will respond well to better tactical play and emphasis on phases. 

Still thrilled by this appointment, and shocked that we were even able to attract him. 

On the media / language note, I'm really happy that we're the club bringing him to show what a great coach he is. I've seen a lot of places saying that he feels like he has unfinished business in the PL and giving him the platform to perform is great. 

I think the Premier League itself was a major attraction for Emery to join us. 

Xavi was quoted as saying that La Liga is still as big as the Premier League. It was almost like he was trying to convince himself as well as others. Maybe Emery realised that he wants to challenge himself in what he believes is the toughest league in world football and we were the club to approach him and give him that challenge. I know he turned down Newcastle but he was on a mission with Villarreal at that time, so had a very good reason to turn it down. 

I think that we have a manager who feels that he wants to win things here, in the toughest league. That bodes very well for us. Our owners will back him if it means success for their (and ours) club. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Xavi was quoted as saying that La Liga is still as big as the Premier League. It was almost like he was trying to convince himself as well as others. Maybe Emery realised that he wants to challenge himself in what he believes is the toughest league in world football and we were the club to approach him and give him that challenge. I know he turned down Newcastle but he was on a mission with Villarreal at that time, so had a very good reason to turn it down. 

I think that we have a manager who feels that he wants to win things here, in the toughest league. That bodes very well for us. Our owners will back him if it means success for their (and ours) club. 

I think Emery has a point to prove more than he wants to challenge in England. Its what excites me more

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Emery has a point to prove more than he wants to challenge in England. Its what excites me more

Yep. It's a genuine and selfish motivation to succeed here in England that can only bode well for villa. Doesn't feel like a money thing (Garde), a supposed stepping stone thing (Gerrard lol), a dream job/ crack at the big time thing (Smith).

Rather it's a mutually beneficial ideal fit for both manager and club.

It's really interesting going back to the early days of the Gerrard thread. Comparing it this thread is like night and day. Gerrard appt split opinion so dramatically compared to this one.

Important to remember if this all goes tits up that it is the correct decision at this time. Too often on here if a player doesn't work out there's a whole bunch of retrospective experts who blame the board/manager/owners for the signing bit who were happy with it at the time.

• Like 2

I think Gerrard and Beale pumped a load of detail into the players and tried to get them to learn new positions basically. Hopefully when Emery puts them back in their real positions, sets the team up in a way that suits the players we have and what they're best at we'll see instant results. 

Hopefully the players have learnt something from the Gerrard Beale era in terms of trying to take on the detail but it not working because the system was wrong not their application of it. I want them ripe for detail where it works on the pitch.

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe... 

Villa hire Gerrard. Villa utilise Gerrard's name and stature in the game to bring in Coutinho, Digne, Carlos and Kamara. Who many people have said we wouldn't have been able to sign without him. 

Villa sack Gerrard as he's a truly terrible manager, but have already utilised his main strength, his abiilty to bring players in.

Villa hire Emery, a proven winner and exceptional manager, who is now more keen to coach Villa due to the higher calibre of players and utilise him to bring the best out of the excellent players Villa brought in, due to Gerrard's name. 

This is a mother **** masterplan!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

You can put different arguments for and against the prem and la liga, but the prem league has a more equitable distribution of money due to the tv deals. A mid table premier league would have a far larger budget than a mid table la liga side. Whether that leads to better football is open to debate- as Emery's record in the Europa league shows.

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

…The next three games just feel really important. All three are winnable but you could argue that we could lose the lot. 

This is one of the things that I am hoping Emery can bring to this side, the change in mentality needed to make sides go out and get a win. For too long now we have been a side where we never quite know what performance we are going to get on a match day. Even when we were in the championship I was never super convinced that we would win a game. That needs to change, to a point where losing a game is actually a surprise rather than a foregone conclusion. I feel that Newcastle have this mentality now. 

Edited by Tayls

This is a good video which could have easily been recorded by a Villa fan, but a blogger who supports a different club has posted this and clearly understands Villa, Emery and where we're at right now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tayls said:

For too long now we have been a side where we never quite know what performance we are going to get on a match day.

We know exactly what we're going to get, depending on the big name player/manager/team in opposition! Who has been on a bad run? Who is lacking confidence? Who needs that goal to break a record? Which defence looked completely hopeless? Strike force inept? Manager in trouble?

We know how this goes, it's called the Shane Long paradox.

• Sad 1

Â