Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

So according to Mr Evans at The Athletic we made approaches a few weeks ago. Purslow flew to Spain after the Brentford game and it all got concluded very quickly with Jorge Menses. 

So I am assuming Unai has watched and knows the team from afar and will come in with an idea of what he needs to do initially to improve things. His backroom staff is still being sorted.

The same Mr Evans who told us all we'd have a new manager next week?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't get this idea that he's a defensive manager, in his two seasons at The Yellow Submarine they were top scorers in La Liga other than the two Madrid teams and Barcelona, in his full season at Arsenal only Liverpool and Man City scored more, Paris Saint-Germain scored 108 goals when he won the league with them, in his last season with Sevilla they were fifth top scorers in La Liga, season before they were third top scorers, and in his first season with them they were fourth top scorers. Haven't looked as far back as when he was with Valencia, but going back almost ten years his teams have always been amongst the highest scorers in the league.

Maybe defensive is the wrong word. His teams seem very organised without the ball.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sounds like he was our first choice all along.

What are you suggesting? Are you suggesting that Poch was never offered the chance to turn us down? Paddy Power would look like total idiots if that were the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daft said:

So now he's too attacking? I'm not sure I trust your friends football analysis skills. 😏

I remember them leaking goals for fun too be fair. But then they were under Wenger too. As mentioned by others his remit was attacking football. Arteta was then allowed to work on them defensively. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

winning a cup would be incredible, if we won a cup and played in europe enabling us to utilise the youngsters in dead rubbers vs the team 5th in the romanian league i could take baby steps in the league for a couple of seasons

if you look at arsenal and chelsea europe is huge for the youngsters, west ham have qualified from their conference group and have Silkeborg at home up next, can you imagine if that was us in 2 years time? 5 or 6 of the youngsters could get a game, I'm close to saying its actually key to us progressing

Have said this before, but playing in Europe provides so many advantages. People always focus - understandably, because they are real! - on the money and the prestige, but another one is the extra fixtures. Frex, Grealish can play in about 70% of Man City's fixtures and get as many games a season as he would have done playing every week at Villa. Allows these clubs to provide enough opportunities to keep the best talent happy on the bench. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sounds like he was our first choice all along.

14 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

First “realistic” choice. Seems like Poch was their first choice. 

I've posted this previousley

Percy has stated he was the first choice.....

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You made the right choice Unai…

spacer.png

That Sid Lowe dude dug himself a proper hole, and when called out he decided to keep digging. 

Absolutely clueless. 

Sacked Gerrard Thursday night and by Friday emery had told villarreal he was leaving?

Sounds like we knew exactly what we wanted and poch and tuchel were part of playing the game, not sure if it was by us or by them, wouldn't be surprised if tuchel publicly rejected a job he wasn't offered and villa were happy to let him do it

• Like 1

just listening to Claret & Blue Podcast, its live, Guillem Balague (Spanish Journalist) has said Emery's assistant at Villa will be a coach who was a European Cup winner and has knowledge of the PL, he said he couldnt say yet who that is though.

Wonder who that is?!!?

He said it would be "very exciting".

Edited by MaVilla

Guillem Balague has just said on the Claret & Blue podcast live that Emery's assistant he is bringing is a European cup winner and an elite coach. He spoke to the people he wants in his backroom team on Sunday night and they all agreed to join him at Villa, and began looking at houses (online I presume) Monday.

Just now, MaVilla said:

just listening to Claret & Blue Podcast, its live, Guillem Balague (Spanish Journalist) has said Emery's assistant at Villa will be a European Cup winner and has knowledge of the PL, he said he couldnt say yet who that is though.

Wonder who that is?!!?

Damn, beat me to it!

• Haha 1

Â