Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Aston Villa sound out Emery and Pochettio - Sources (footballinsider247.com)

Sources: Aston Villa sounding out Mauricio Pochettino and Unai Emery

Aston Villa are sounding out Mauricio Pochettino and Unai Emery over their manager’s job, sources have told Football Insider.

The club’s US owners Naseef Sawiris and Wes Edens are keeping their options open about a possible manager change less than a year after Steven Gerrard was appointed.

It is believed Gerrard’s position is not under immediate threat, but the Villa chiefs could act if the team does not significantly improve before the mid-November break for the World Cup.

Pochettino and Emery are both aware of Villa’s interest and are open to hearing what they have to say.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

It'll have to take something special for the owners to go around Purslow and say we're replacing the manager.

They'll be taking all reports from him, and if he's defending Gerrard they'll be no change.

Performances is what we should be focusing on, and they've been horrific. If we lose the next two and then sack him, there's clearly no planning at all.

Nothing will change in two games to the extent he should be falling into the position of being sacked if he isn't there already.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It'll have to take something special for the owners to go around Purslow and say we're replacing the manager.

They'll be taking all reports from him, and if he's defending Gerrard they'll be no change.

Performances is what we should be focusing on, and they've been horrific. If we lose the next two and then sack him, there's clearly no planning at all.

Nothing will change in two games to the extent he should be falling into the position of being sacked if he isn't there already.

To be fair, just as SG is allegedly " learning " , I wouldn't discredit the fact that the owners too are " learning ".

They are great businessmrn in their own right, and will know their ambitions.

Don't be surprised if they will take their current experiences to be re evaluating and planning their next long term move behind the scenes.

For all we know, that could include a total shake up of our whole footballing system from top down. ( Including Purslow )

Even if Purslow wasn't sacked ( As I believe he also has shares ) it wouldn't surprise me to see us get some sort of director of football to restructure this all, and leave Purslow in his capacity as general CEO.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree, unless they are working on replacing him over the past weeks and the upcoming period then unless massive defeats in the next two games then I’m not sure they will change this side of the World Cup.  Defeats they might suffer and think they are trying to see the bigger picture but it’s very concerning the rope that Gerrard is being given when no evidence is being shown he deserves it.  I’m hoping they are working behind the scenes to get the next manager and it’s just taking a bit of time.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Emery is right at the top of my list.

I'm actually beginning to think Emery might be an even better fit than Pochettino.

His record seems to imply the area we want to get to ( Top 6 / 7 ) and Europa is where he really excels.

With clubs similar in size/stature to us 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm actually beginning to think Emery might be an even better fit than Pochettino.

His record seems to imply the area we want to get to ( Top 6 / 7 ) and Europa is where he really excels.

With clubs similar in size/stature to us 

He did an unbelievable job at Villareal and Seville.  Arsenal fans say he was a disaster.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He did an unbelievable job at Villareal and Seville.  Arsenal fans say he was a disaster.

Thing is I'm not actually sure about his " style " of football so will have to look into it a bit.

Was this the main source of Arsenal fans with him?

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thing is I'm not actually sure about his " style " of football so will have to look into it a bit.

Was this the main source of Arsenal fans with him?

I think Arsenal fans were upset with his signings. Especially Pepe.  Not sure how much he would have been involved in that though.

I don’t think any of his signings start for them now. 

edit: actually Saliba, Martinelli and Tierny were his signings.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It doesn’t need to be done publicly. They can call it a collective decision. No problem if they are happy with his work in general but want to ease him away from this particular decision or in future other football decisions. 

If there are other issues or he chooses to fall on his sword then so be it. I can’t imagine NSWE passively standing by while Rome burns. If they feel that constant progress has majorly stalled  and the CEO can’t or won’t resolve the situation, then I’d expect other changes could be incoming. 

12 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we were going to fire Gerrard surely we would have done it during the international break. That tells me he is safe pending a disaster of some kind.

Maybe. But at the Southampton game I sensed the fans losing patience, I genuinely believe that if they equalised there would have been Gerrard out chants. 

It doesn’t really matter what the board think, the minute that happens he will be gone, and I don’t think they are too far away.