Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

22 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I know I’m going to sound like the old miserable git here. But my worry is this. Let’s imagine for a moment we get Poch, how long does he get? How many poor results until the usual suspects are calling for his head? How many transfer windows where we don’t buy the 16 players the keyboard warriors want, do we cut him slack? 

This replacing of the manager becomes a cycle very quickly and I don’t want us to be the next Watford because it doesn’t work for success! 

Final point, don’t read this as some sort of pro Stevie G post. I think he’s been pretty terrible this season and if he’s fired he’ll have deserved it. 

You don't sound old.... you sound silly. 

Gerrard has had plenty of time to prove he can do the job, Smith did, as did Bruce etc etc. The idea we oust or force managers out of Villa without good reason is nonsense. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Farioli actually has bags of talent though 😉

So does Gerrard…that “winning mentality” and “55”…shame he’s a poor coach.  

I love the idea of getting the next big thing but so many fail.  

I hope the owners splash the cash and go for a proven top notch coach here.  If none will come then we cross that bridge then but get Gerrard out and bring in quality.  

No guarantees it’ll work but Gerrard has been a massive failure so we just have to the next guy can bring better fortunes and you hopefully reduce the risk by getting a better quality manager.

Farioli is a really good coach, it's a very left field suggestion but it was just to make a point that even if Pochettino and Emery and that level of appointment is beyond us, then we can find a proper head coach, get back to the DoF, head coach model and make solid progress with the players we have IMO. 

I’ve heard from a co-worker that his relative was in a fancy country pub on the weekend. All of a sudden a convoy of posh cars pulled up and out got Christian Purslow and associates, they were then ushered into the back room of said pub. Potentially holding talks with someone? 

23 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Farioli is a really good coach, it's a very left field suggestion but it was just to make a point that even if Pochettino and Emery and that level of appointment is beyond us, then we can find a proper head coach, get back to the DoF, head coach model and make solid progress with the players we have IMO. 

I get the suggestion but for me we need a proven name so we can once and for all say it's the players or not!   

If we get another unproven manager they and we fans can second guess.

If we get a proven manager the players have no excuses and us as fans can say once a for all the players aren't good enough.

I am giving the players a pass with Gerrard as lots are out of position baffled by tactics and puzzled by his treatment of their captain and exiling others like Sanson/Guilbert.

Say Poch comes in its a clean slate and we know he can form a functioning exciting team.   I think most agree the squad is there to do this.  Then it's on the players.

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KH** said:

I’ve heard from a co-worker that his relative was in a fancy country pub on the weekend. All of a sudden a convoy of posh cars pulled up and out got Christian Purslow and associates, they were then ushered into the back room of said pub. Potentially holding talks with someone? 

Jamie Carragher? 😉😂

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Thing is with Poch is this, if you don't ask, you don't get.

We were spending £25m on Sarr but didn't. So repurpose that money to help pay off Gerrard and his team and fund an offer to Poch. Ultimately he will likely say no. We are not an especially attractive proposition and he will have better offers but doesn't mean we can't at least ask.

This is the thing. We blow 30m + wages on an over the hill striker in Danny Ings but won't throw money at a world class manager who could potentially amplify many of our players and propel us up the table? Let's go get him, or someone of his calibre, in as soon as possible. Give them whatever they want. We have a brand spanking new training ground, a fancy squad on paper and plans in place to develop our historically grand arena. Not to mention a hell of a lot less pressure in the short term than some of the 'bigger' jobs. We should be an attractive proposition, especially for someone off the back of a disappointing spell at PSG.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, KH** said:

I always wonder how some of these things are done.  I always assumed it was discreet places or places that allowed confidentiality and less of a posh pub type place but who knows!

Honestly I love Emery, he's a very pragmatic choice and would get our results turned around.

Poch would be great as well.

I'd be thrilled if we got either of these two world class managers. 

If the board could make it happen , I'd feel a lot more confident ,

Gerrard was a Purslow experiment, that hasn't paid off. 

Its now time to get a household name and back them heavily.

Poch or Emery please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I know I’m going to sound like the old miserable git here. But my worry is this. Let’s imagine for a moment we get Poch, how long does he get? How many poor results until the usual suspects are calling for his head? How many transfer windows where we don’t buy the 16 players the keyboard warriors want, do we cut him slack? 

This replacing of the manager becomes a cycle very quickly and I don’t want us to be the next Watford because it doesn’t work for success! 

Final point, don’t read this as some sort of pro Stevie G post. I think he’s been pretty terrible this season and if he’s fired he’ll have deserved it. 

It's 17 actually. Thank you. 

Emery is top quality.

He would have us in the top 10 this season.

And have us in Europe whilst competing for a UEL trophy the following season.

He doesn't have the wow factor but he is a winner and has won more than Poch.

I believe that his head wouldn't get turned and would focus on the project at hand here.

The only reservation I have is his approach towards bringing youth players into the first team squad.

14 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Emery is top quality.

He would have us in the top 10 this season.

And have us in Europe whilst competing for a UEL trophy the following season.

He doesn't have the wow factor but he is a winner and has won more than Poch.

I believe that his head wouldn't get turned and would focus on the project at hand here.

The only reservation I have is his approach towards bringing youth players into the first team squad.

Which is?

16 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He’d play more youth players than Gerrard has in a year!    Even just 1 would be great lol

8 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

One thing that does worry me is a lot of our current problems seem to stem from abandoning our plan, our idealogy, transfer policy etc and handing the keys to the kingdom to Steven Gerrard. @OutByEaster? recently made the point that our next head coach should be a part of an ongoing plan, top cog in a well-oiled cog machine, rather than having free reign over all things AVFC. 'Moving heaven and earth' for Poch doesn't sound like we're about to tell him to stick to our plan. But then it's Poch, so.. you'd be mad not to right?

I think the key is to try to recruit a manager that's already a bit like your plan. Try to find a square-ish peg for your square hole.

• Like 2