Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The Man City result buys him time, it was a very good performance, very disciplined and reactive to criticism, it has demonstrated a humility, a willingness to listen and also quite obviously he has the support of the players.

Clearly has to kick on but perhaps the players learned a few things too. Maybe a corner has been turned - we will all find out in a few games time. I reckon unless we return to consecutive losses again, he has until the World Cup, but I think this period has done a lot of damage, we are still in a big hole.

I think for me City was a free hit..You say he has learned I hope he has but I think is a 95% chance Luiz and Bailey dropped for Leicester and he goes with his regular crap system

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think for me City was a free hit..You say he has learned I hope he has but I think is a 95% chance Luiz and Bailey dropped for Leicester and he goes with his regular crap system

He's shown he can learn before (that first 3 game losing streak in 2022, he then went on and won 4 straight), so hopefully he can do it again. Instinct tells me he'll return to type on Saturday but I think he understands the stakes now and his comments about shelving the pretty football seem to indicate he'll keep it like this for at least a while.

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Other than Poch and Potter, what other good options are out there? 

Personally, I don’t have a wide knowledge of managers and how good they are (the list isn’t an indication of who I’d take) nowadays but here are some names from those that are available or out of work at the moment:

Marco Rose - ex Dortmund 

Pochettino 😉 

Sampaoli - ex Marseille

Villas Boas

Laurent Blanc

Slaven Bilic

Rafa Benitez

Joachim Low

Bielsa (don’t tell villalad)

Klinsmann

Cesare Prandelli

Clarence Seedorf

Andrei Shevchenko

David Wagner

Pako Ayestaran

I don’t know much about Marco Rose but it’s a name that keeps getting mentioned…

Sampaoli’s an interesting option…

unsure on Villas Boas…

Wasnt Blanc a well regarded manager not too long ago?

Bilic… hmm… has he ever done well for a high profile club? Managed Croatia well…

The rest aren’t worth bothering with… unless we wanted to take a crazy risk (no thanks). I’m sure most of them would do a better job than SG though 🤦‍♂️

We can poach a good manager from a club if needed or deemed appropriate… that would require a whole other list though 😆 Can’t be arsed with that!

Poch is too good of an opportunity not to make an attempt at though… the standout candidate for me, although many seem to adore Potter…

I wouldn’t be against appointing Rodgers if he became available (if Poch was out of reach). Big upgrade on SG. He has a track record and trophies… maybe just needs a change of scenery… I wouldn’t mind an FA cup…

But..

🇦🇷🇦🇷🇦🇷

Pirlo?! Get him on the pitch, F giving him the management position! One of my favourite ever players!

But seriously… no, just no… doesn’t have the experience or record… crazy appointment by Juve although many fans argue he is and did a lot better than Allegri…

but no, crazy risk…

But… I’m such a fan of the guy…

na, no, nope! 

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The more I think about it the more we should just make Potter an offer he can’t refuse.  We need a manager that can really get the best out of players. Make them all overachieve.  For all of MON’s faults this is something he was great at.

I agree with MON, he just had a habit of buying the wrong players to make the best out of

10 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Other than Poch and Potter, what other good options are out there? 

image.gif.f6f7a2a4d6cf1619dec0bb895d126e99.gif

Then there’s Marcelo Gallardo - Sampaoli, Gallardo and Pochettino are all Bielsa disciples who have enhanced his way. Bielsa would sooner play the same 11 throughout the season. The others are prepared to utilise the squad. 

Sampaoli is probably most like Bielsa in terms of tactics and formation. 

Ive heard Marco Rose is possibly available too so that’s another good option. But AVFC have to have the balls to act now. Otherwise there comes a point when it’s too late for this season.

13 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

What he did with Östersund, is like getting St Ives Town FC into Premier League

Opens FM -> start new game -> new career.

I’ll show the people of Östersund what a proper manager looks like. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont see it he was a great player better than our manager but at Juventus he was shocking. They had won 8 or 9 leagues in a row and he got them 4th because Napoli collapsed in the run in

I think he hired his coaching course instructor as assistant manager or coach

They had won a lot of leagues in a row and then the board dismantled the entire side and gave him no budget. He was essentially brought in as the guy to start a rebuild whilst still having Ronaldo ruining the confidence of the young players he was bringing through. 

In his one season he got a better xg for conceding goals and better xg for scoring goals than when they most recently won the title, and the man that came before him who also finished 4th. 

They sacked him and brought back Allegri, gave him a warchest in the summer and January and the guy that won consistent titles with them and had a better squad than Pirlo finished.... 4th. With 8 points less than Pirlo managed. 

It sounds like you're writing off a great young coach because he didn't achieve what his predecessors did. The difference was that xg didn't matter to Allegri when he had one of the best goalkeepers in the world stopping teams from scoring and one of the best strikers of all time banging them in at the other end. 

11 hours ago, messi11 said:

Going from Gerrard to Pirlo sounds like hell

As I said in the first sentence, I don't think it would be a sensible appointment now

10 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

We either need a homerun hire or someone to steady the ship - Pirlo is neither.

As I said in the first sentence, I don't think it would be a sensible appointment now

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11182793/amp/Leicester-boss-Brendan-Rodgers-paid-10million-sacked.html

Looks like Leicester fans were right...  Rodgers has a 10 million pound payoff clause in his contract if he gets sacked...  Is his agent Ari Gold?  How did they agree to this???

Daily Mail though ?