Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

37 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Many on here thought Jesse Marsch was a shit Ted Lasso meme… Would you now swop?

Well I had him high on my list before he moved to Red Bull Leipzig due to his job at Salzburg and the stuff I read about him.

Never know how a manager reacts to a failure like the one he had at Leipzig but yeah I'd happily had switched.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Potter strikes me as an excellent coach without a massive ego, which is exactly what we need. There's no way he'd turn us down.

Brighton is 4th, by the time we sack Gerrard we would be at the bottom. To get Potter to leave Brighton and come to us, would take a small miracle. I would really love it if we could pull it off, but Pochettino is a more realistic target. 

This is the first time I've posted in this thread. I've now accepted that Gerrard is out of his depth and does not have the tactical ability to get the best out of our players.

When Gerrard was appointed I was a big advocate of Graham Potter because I respected his coaching ability, man management and motivational skills.

When SG was close to being appointed I recognised that his name and reputation as a player would raise our profile considerably and this excited me.

Now we're at the stage where we can attract a manager/coach with both Tactical ability and a decent profile. I still think Potter is the best coach out there for where our squad is currently at. He would get every ounce of ability out of this group.

He's seems a loyal guy though so I don't think he would leave Brighton right now (which is what we need). If the right sales pitch was made and the financial plan going forward was sufficiently compelling, he just might want to be part of a once in a lifetime opportunity for a great manager and genuine Villa fan. 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

This is the first time I've posted in this thread. I've now accepted that Gerrard is out of his depth and does not have the tactical ability to get the best out of our players.

When Gerrard was appointed I was a big advocate of Graham Potter because I respected his coaching ability, man management and motivational skills.

When SG was close to being appointed I recognised that his name and reputation as a player would raise our profile considerably and this excited me.

Now we're at the stage where we can attract a manager/coach with both Tactical ability and a decent profile. I still think Potter is the best coach out there for where our squad is currently at. He would get every ounce of ability out of this group.

He's seems a loyal guy though so I don't think he would leave Brighton right now (which is what we need). If the right sales pitch was made and the financial plan going forward was sufficiently compelling, he just might want to be part of a once in a lifetime opportunity for a great manager and genuine Villa fan. 😀

is Potter actually a Villa fan?

I have seen many saying he is, but i have also seen many saying he actually isnt?

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Pochettino is a more realistic target. 

:crylaugh:

Scenes when people are talking about Potter and Poch, and we end up with Thierry Henry with Rio Ferdinand as his assistant. We love a "big name". 

Just now, MaVilla said:

is Potter actually a Villa fan?

He's on the record as saying he used to attend both Villa and Blues games. There's no indication that he harbours a particular affection for either club.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not really sure what you're saying here but this feels the right thread.

What evidence is there for other managers? Searching for a solution of my own? What?!

Can I not say I'm not happy with the manager unless I know who I want to replace him? 

I mean, fortunately, I did offer a list the other day who would have been good appointments and you didn't respond? Believe you said it was your bedtime.

That was before Palace. You were steadfast in your support of Gerrard. Now one PL game later you aren't happy? Surely his fine work can't be undone in one match?

What more would you like for me to articulate?

Leeds do look very good yes. Their manager only had 10 games or so at the end of the season and they look 10x better than us. Funnily enough, I have a feeling you wouldn't have been behind that appointment if he came here. No high-level playing career to speak of, that seems high on your list.

My reluctance to keep defending poor play, is the reason for my change of heart, not just one game.

I don't think your suggestions of managers have any credence quite frankly....but hey ho, its anyones guess.

You are not happy with SG, Elaborate, not happy with what?....what does his teams do that make you unhappy?

Of course you can say, that you are not happy with him, but your usual opening gambit, is challenging me, for why I do/did support him....am I not equally entitled to be happy with his appointment or was......this form is challenging my original view, I have to say.

No jessie Marsh, would not have appealed to me, but shows how hard it is, to get the right manager.....there are no guarantee's.

He said that Villa was the first club that he supported and that most of his friends were Villa fans. I think the fact that he played for the Blues made it difficult for him to swear Villa allegiance, because he's a decent guy and didn't want to  upset anyone.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

He said that Villa was the first club that he supported and that most of his friends were Villa fans. I think the fact that he played for the Blues made it difficult for him to swear Villa allegiance, because he's a decent guy and didn't want to  upset anyone.

My feeling exactly. He's 100% a Villa fan.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Potter left Swansea after 1 season (IIRC) to join Brighton, so he has shown that he’s willing to be ruthless to progress his career. Whether he would see us as a big enough jump (in terms of club size) is another matter. 

I’ve always been that we should give him the summer to get his own players in and see what we can do. 

I got a little worried when McGinn was appointed captain, as along with a lot of us, I didn’t want him starting every week. 

It seems to be getting worse and worse now, and perhaps it is time to react now. If we don’t Chelsea will get rid of Tuchel and will get in the best available person (I’d guess Pochettino), which would mean less choice for us when Gerrard does eventually go.  

21 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Brighton is 4th, by the time we sack Gerrard we would be at the bottom. To get Potter to leave Brighton and come to us, would take a small miracle. I would really love it if we could pull it off, but Pochettino is a more realistic target. 

What????  Poch isn't more realistic than Potter...  In fact, he's probably the most unrealistic name being thrown around here.  He'll be the first person one of the elite clubs call as soon as they sack their manager.

The same thing was said on here about Smith when we sacked Bruce.  "Why would he come to Villa?  Brentford are in a much better spot than we are!"  Potter would be attracted to the quality of player, infrastructure, and funds available to him at Villa compared to Brighton.  

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve always been that we should give him the summer to get his own players in and see what we can do. 

I got a little worried when McGinn was appointed captain, as along with a lot of us, I didn’t want him starting every week. 

It seems to be getting worse and worse now, and perhaps it is time to react now. If we don’t Chelsea will get rid of Tuchel and will get in the best available person (I’d guess Pochettino), which would mean less choice for us when Gerrard does eventually go.  

Chelsea are trying to extend Tuchels contract . We’re all in dream land if we think Pochatino would come to villa . 

26 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Living in dreamland Poch will no way come to us. 

6 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Why? He may not but it's hardly ludicrous. Significantly less so than, say, Ancelotti going to Everton, or Bielsa going to Leeds in the Championship. 

I think he could be persuaded, it's a very attractive job in terms of the potential of the club and the backing of the board. 

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Why? He may not but it's hardly ludicrous. Significantly less so than, say, Ancelotti going to Everton, or Bielsa going to Leeds in the Championship. 

I think he could be persuaded, it's a very attractive job in terms of the potential of the club and the backing of the board. 

Agree, everything is in place except for a quality coach. The board have shown that they are willing to push FFP as far as possible to improve the team. It will be a great job for somebody. 

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are not happy with SG, Elaborate, not happy with what?....what does his teams do that make you unhappy?

Amateur, rookie, learner manager.

By the end of this window he'll have put £200m into the squad.

Unqualified for that.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

No jessie Marsh, would not have appealed to me, but shows how hard it is, to get the right manager.....there are no guarantee's.

No guarantees.

So base your opinions on evidence is my advice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Had a chance in the summer. Not now.

That will be the scenario with a huge number of managers.

Many would have backed themselves spending £100m.

• Like 1