Aston Villa Gerrards Ball vs Aston Villa Bruces Ball- Which one is the worst to watch?

messi11

Gerrard Ball vs Aston Villa Bruce Ball- Which one is the worst to watch?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard Ball vs Aston Villa Bruce Ball- Which one is the worst to watch?

• Steven Gerrard Football
    • Steve Bruce Football

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/22 at 15:00

Steven Gerrard is a winner.

As a manager, though, he's waaaaay too green to be at this level.

I can't comment on which is worse as, being in the championship, I wasn't able to watch a lot of Bruce's games (thankfully).

They have one thing in common: The reliance of experienced players in the starting lineup and as a transfer strategy. Reeks of an inability to coach (or oversee the coaches) and improve players.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Agreed, Lambert also had a far worse squad.

Bruce was afforded a ridiculously expensive squad for the Championship and still ended up relying on loan players, BUT i do remember enjoying some games under him and Lambert.

Gerrard actually had some decent games and results last season but that feels like a long time ago and our results and more importantly our performances have got steadily worse.

Thats a key point with lambert his squad was pretty poor. Having players like bloody bennett playing for us.

Gerrard has a stronger squad we should be performing better. On paper 5 pojnts form last three isnt bad. I mean i cant criticise him for the city one that was a fantastic point.  But the games previously and the last two have been awful to watch. Its papering the cracks for me.

Just can't see how he takes us next level. He was meant to be an upgrade to smith and he hasnt been. We said give him a pre season and a couple windows to get players in. He has had that opportunity and hasnt delivered in my view

• Like 2

One of the biggest issues with these types of ahem 'pragmatic' coaches like Bruce and Gerrard is that even at their projected best you're looking at poor football and entertainment, poor player development, no youth breaking through because results and so on. So even if it works for a while and they stumble upon a few 1-0 wins it's a bad long term strategy and only a matter of time before luck dries up. 

16 hours ago, YLN said:

What an utterly pointless reply. My goodness our fanbase are cringeworthy bed-wetters at times. 

Mature.

Just unsure what the point/relevance of a discussion of this nature is and what it hopes to achieve?

Shall we compare Steven Gerrard and Paul Lambert's style of play to Jozef Venglos's as well whilst we're at it? Has about the same relevance...

1 minute ago, wedge said:

A quote from Villa Twitter's Captain Hindsight - brilliant context...

So the only thing you can come up with is an ad hominem rather than address the issue at hand? 

And what context? We've been awful for months and months while the club/Purslow told us exactly what their expectations were when they sacked Smith. Now we have someone who is well below the bar of supposed standards set and yet remains in gainful employment. He needs to go. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

So the only thing you can come up with is an ad hominem rather than address the issue at hand? 

And what context? We've been awful for months and months while the club/Purslow told us exactly what their expectations were when they sacked Smith. Now we have someone who is well below the bar of supposed standards set and yet remains in gainful employment. He needs to go. 

I'm not disagreeing with or even debating your second paragraph. Just don't see any point or it resulting in anything other than wasted words comparing him to the bloke who was in charge five years ago!

Edited by wedge

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of Bruce sacking. It feels longer maybe as this manager plays even duller stuff

At least with Bruce he would draw 0-0 he would get Grealish, Snodgrass, Adomah to turn up with some magic to win a game. Dont see that now

Bruce had Grealish and we did generate some excitement

Gerrard after those initial 5 or 6 games when he took charge , its been somewhat dull  , I've almost reached that point that I did under McLeish where I just can't be arsed to watch any longer 

• Like 2

Apropos of nothing, Bruce had a higher win rate/PPG when Grealish was out of the team than when he was in it.

It’s not what I would consider a small sample size to distort things either.

With Grealish (63 games)

39.68% win rate, 1.476 PPG

Without Grealish (32 games)

56.25% win rate, 1.906 PPG

1 hour ago, wedge said:

I'm not disagreeing with or even debating your second paragraph. Just don't see any point or it resulting in anything other than wasted words comparing him to the bloke who was in charge five years ago!

So ignore the thread if you have no interest in it.  Others like myself can carry on commenting to their hearts desire in comparison to our previous managers while people who don’t like it can ignore the thread.

Isn’t wasting words on something that you thinking is wasted words worse? 😉

• Like 1

Gerrard.

Bruce's football was shit, but at least we actually won loads of football matches.

As a season ticket holder, the season we lost in the play off final was incredibly fun. Going to Villa Park and knowing you'll probably win, every week, was excellent.

Gerrard is football that is also shit, but there's no silver lining. We're shit and we don't get results

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gerrard.

Bruce's football was shit, but at least we actually won loads of football matches.

As a season ticket holder, the season we lost in the play off final was incredibly fun. Going to Villa Park and knowing you'll probably win, every week, was excellent.

Gerrard is football that is also shit, but there's no silver lining. We're shit and we don't get results

Well we were in the Championship.  Don't think Bruceball would have picked up many wins in the PL.

On 03/10/2022 at 09:22, nick76 said:

Well Gerrard almost pushed me to not renew my season in the summer and if this continues for the rest of the season and he isn’t let go I won’t be renewing my season ticket.  That’s incredibly hard for me to say because of my love of Villa and we’ve been through much harder times but with the great work off the field, I can’t face much more of this Gerrard football and the club justifying keeping him on.

That’s a shame but if you hate it that much it makes sense not to renew. Especially when there are thousands of fans that want a season ticket. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s a shame but if you hate it that much it makes sense not to renew. Especially when there are thousands of fans that want a season ticket. 

Hopefully Gerrard will gone so all back to normal and season ticket renewed as per usual.

• Like 1

With Bruce at least it was who he is. A dinosaur of a manager who only knew one way.

Gerrard is meant to be the next big thing, the man to bring continous improvement. 

And not only did his way not work, he's now had to sacrifice the made up 'beautiful football' to grind out results that will keep him employed rather than progress the club. 

Gerrards football is much worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrard will soon have that season ticket waiting list whittled away to nothing if he carries on serving up the kind of shite we've been watching from his teams.  It's so bad I'm half-tempted to ask for a refund on mine.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

So ignore the thread if you have no interest in it.  Others like myself can carry on commenting to their hearts desire in comparison to our previous managers while people who don’t like it can ignore the thread.

Isn’t wasting words on something that you thinking is wasted words worse? 😉

I genuinely feel for you Nick.....and I am not trying to be patronising.

I know you are a genuine fan, even if I don't know you personally and its sad to be thinking of giving up your season Ticket....Thousands are waiting to pounce, you are too invested, to give up.

I might shock you to say.....I could, If I allowed myself, to write a negative, scathing attack on aspects of the club, but I choose to look for the positives, and that is not me, trying to be clever, its a genuine attempt to try and talk things up.....I do honestly believe, there are things there to be positive about.....I know you sometimes say, my positive remarks Irk you, but I can assure you, I could so easily be joining in with you.....don't think for one minute, I don't see the game, you see, I do....but I choose to interpret it differently, as frustrating as that can be.

I did it ( relaxed my season ticket) under O'Neill, because I was turned off by the performances, even if I appreciated the results.....6-6-6 seems like a dream now.....I have to say, I regreted it.

I am not going to offer you any consolation, because I can't.....but I do appreciate, your stance.....it is frustrating.

I honestly thought that SG could have more influence, than he has, but I believe, unlike you he is doing all he can to get us that football.

FWIW I think the club are doing all they can, to get us that good football, but for me recruitment is in general, questionable, not just the individual players, but the blend of them.....when it takes 18 months or more for a big club like us to get a dedicated CDM, i question what has been going on, and that was before SG......We now have a front 3 with questionable aerial prowess, denying us c 20% of goal scoring opportunities.

I am not going to say, you are wrong about all things you say about SG.....but for your own enjoyment and nothing else, I implore you to look for more positives.

I hope you don't think, this is anything other than a ploy to get you to keep your season ticket.

UTV

• Thanks 1