A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Had a second hotel breakfast yesterday (different hotel). Garbage. The egg was nice, and the bacon OK (if overcooked). Everything else was terrible. The sausages and black pudding were actually inedible. 

Poached eggs on toast for me this morning. 

as a side to this, i have quite got in to a continental breakfast, dont get me wrong its a ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast but at like the in laws where they swear by it (and will happily eat it for all 3 meals in a day...) and they'll put 90% of their fridge on the table in the morning, multiple types of cheese as many as 6 different types of meat, pate, tomatoes, different types of jams and nutella and of course really good bread

i think if i was in a hotel with a breakfast included that's where id head now, yoghurt and fruit starter, bread roll cheese and meat main, pastry finish - as a side to that! i once stayed at the Grand Brighton Hotel and their breakfast was about £30 or something daft but it was insanely good, arguably the best breakfast ive ever had that was a 4 course breakfast same 3 as before but with a full english thrown in as well, i couldnt bring myself to stop the quality was so good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

Long-shot while we are on the subject/topic. I'm visiting London in about a month. Anyone know a good place for a Full English in the Earls Court area?

Be careful of any chip infestations onto your plate 

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2022 at 09:57, bickster said:
On 20/09/2022 at 09:41, ender4 said:

When i have a full english breakfast at home, i have:

6 streaky bacon

2 thin sausages

2 hash browns

pile of mushrooms

fried tomatoes

1 fried egg (runny)

baked beans in a bowl

1 toast

Streaky bacon is not a breakfast item. It is an ingredient in something else, like quiche

Ah no, I'll side with Ender here. Streaky is absolutely a breakfast item. As for 6. I know they're usually a bit over half the width of a normal rasher so maybe 6 equals about 4.  Still seems a tad high though :lol:

3 rashers of back bacon - smoked or plain down to preference - cooked until the fat is crispy.

2 sausages, cooked to crispy.

Beans, cooked to a stodge in a frying pan.

Half a slice of fried bread cooked in the bacon pan.

Fried egg, yolk runny.

Buttered bread to sweep up.

Red or brown sauce, solely for dipping. No mixed in or drenched over.

Very occasionally mushrooms/black pudding/tinned tomatoes to garnish. Never a hash brown, that's a restaurant thing. Never a chip, that's just wrong.

This was the staple Friday night meal in my house for any 15 years. And again on Sunday morning. My family was very healthy. My dad would often have a dripping sandwich midweek taken from a tub of pan juices left to solidify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

All this talk of fried bread or hash browns which are both essentially there to soak up grease :puke: No thank you very much. You can keep those.

If your fried bread is soaking up grease you're doing it wrong. It should be so saturated with crisped grease nothing will leech into it. It's simply a vessel to carry things like a boat carries goods. It's basically an edible spoon.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If your fried bread is soaking up grease you're doing it wrong. It should be so saturated with crisped grease nothing will leech into it. It's simply a vessel to carry things like a boat carries goods. It's basically an edible spoon.

I'm not doing it at all. I'll have toast or soda bread.

And then this? - "It should be so saturated with crisped grease"
:puke:

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm not doing it at all. I'll have toast or soda bread.

And then this? - "It should be so saturated with crisped grease"
:puke:

I'm not saying it's good. But it's what it is.

I'm not from healthy stock - my dad made snacks of bread smeared in dripping, aka a tub full of congealed cooking juices. On culinary or health topics I'm basically in league with Satan.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I'm not saying it's good. But it's what it is.

I'm not from healthy stock - my dad made snacks of bread smeared in dripping, aka a tub full of congealed cooking juices. On culinary or health topics I'm basically in league with Satan.

I think you slightly misunderstood me from the start anyway. When I said soak up grease I was including as part of the cooking process. As in, once they arrive on the plate, they're already soaked in it.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

There's a middle ground - the Richmond style, just about the hitting the 42%-or-whatever minimum to be labelled as a "pork sausage" are pretty rough, while on the other hand the 95%ers are just too meaty. 70-80% pork content is about the sweet spot.

^^^^

THIS 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

There's a middle ground - the Richmond style, just about the hitting the 42%-or-whatever minimum to be labelled as a "pork sausage" are pretty rough, while on the other hand the 95%ers are just too meaty. 70-80% pork content is about the sweet spot.

A good honest sausage from 'Blocko'  a healthy 44% pork content 

I have had sausage all over the world and these are by far the best breakfast sausage I have ever eaten. The best flavour combined with the right amount of fat and I love the crunchy bits of gristle you get now and again, Perfect. I would love it if you could supply curly ones like the borewurst so I could smoke them, and long fat ones to bbq and use them as hotdog sausages, great product glad I live in an area were I can get them  - Steve Bull (Willenhall).

image.jpeg.8cd5a7891ea9b8d4d587ff430c3a2c88.jpeg

Edited by Follyfoot

Â