A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

On 13/04/2024 at 21:14, Xela said:

Article this morning on the BBC about the disappearance of Little Chef's from our roads. They mentioned their "famous" Olympic Brekkie.

Looking at it, if they'd invested in ramekins, thy might still be trading. 

133138104-62ed314af7aa8ed10fa885e72531be

Due to my health issues the only items on that plate that I could taste is the beans. I don’t eat any of the other stuff now. Breaks my **** heart. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I may have asked this before, but what 'non traditional' food item would you add to a 'traditional' full English breakfast? 

Haggis like they do in Scotland, love it.

Or chips.

16 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Haggis like they do in Scotland, love it.

Strong shout that.

19 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Or chips.

Sorry, no.

5 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I may have asked this before, but what 'non traditional' food item would you add to a 'traditional' full English breakfast? 

It’s a rogue one, but on Boxing Day morning, left over roasties on your breakfast is banging

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s a rogue one, but on Boxing Day morning, left over roasties on your breakfast is banging

Roasties have a much better place on a breakfast over chips. 

Although, if you've ever (middle class siren) made a potato rosti with your left over roasties, and had that with your breakfast, that is a game changer. Some diced onion, bit of garlic, couple of runny eggs too, get in me you dirty bastard (kw)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Vindaloo

No. Spicy ketchup, maybe. Not vindaloo you animal.

Although, a vindaloo full of breakfast food, on an evening... Bacon, sausage, tomatoes, hash brown (not chips), possibly an egg, but would have to be boiled. 

I'm in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Although, if you've ever (middle class siren) made a potato rosti with your left over roasties, and had that with your breakfast, that is a game changer. Some diced onion, bit of garlic, couple of runny eggs too, get in me you dirty bastard (kw)

Ok ya, let’s do brunch 

23 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Roast parsnips, to go wit the sweet corn.

• Sad 1

My take on this if I could wield the ultimate breakfast

sausages - Lashfords, there is no better sausage, they literally just make those they’re that good. 

bacon - always smoked, and both streaky and back bacon (2 of each)

potato Rosti - none of this American has brown nonsense, grate and season potato and crisp it up in the pan using the bacon fat

eggs - good quality eggs, fried for traditional or if going fancy do poached. Scrambled if you can be arsed.

mushrooms - I don’t like them but when I cook them for others, good amount of butter and fry them off in the pan

tomatoes - seasoned and grilled, dash of lea and perins on top for some caramelisation 

fried bread - soak up the bacon fat if you have any left over from the rosti or just make some fresh.

toast - at least two slices per person

beans - again not traditional but a modern stamp, expected and delivered. 

black pudding - if you’re going big it has to be added. One portion

rogue items - if you want to add even more but go rogue, add frankfurter sliced sausages to the beans to smoke them with some lea and perins, or if you want to be really rebellious, try grilling cheese on the fried bread. 

pot of tea to wash it down. At least two mugs required. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kidlewis said:

My take on this if I could wield the ultimate breakfast

sausages - Lashfords, there is no better sausage, they literally just make those they’re that good. 

bacon - always smoked, and both streaky and back bacon (2 of each)

potato Rosti - none of this American has brown nonsense, grate and season potato and crisp it up in the pan using the bacon fat

eggs - good quality eggs, fried for traditional or if going fancy do poached. Scrambled if you can be arsed.

mushrooms - I don’t like them but when I cook them for others, good amount of butter and fry them off in the pan

tomatoes - seasoned and grilled, dash of lea and perins on top for some caramelisation 

fried bread - soak up the bacon fat if you have any left over from the rosti or just make some fresh.

toast - at least two slices per person

beans - again not traditional but a modern stamp, expected and delivered. 

black pudding - if you’re going big it has to be added. One portion

rogue items - if you want to add even more but go rogue, add frankfurter sliced sausages to the beans to smoke them with some lea and perins, or if you want to be really rebellious, try grilling cheese on the fried bread. 

pot of tea to wash it down. At least two mugs required. 

I think you just wrote the manual, well done, sir. My only change would be unsmoked bacon, rather than smoked. 

Posted (edited)

A bit late to the party but the reason why Little Chef closed is that they were utterly crap, and as soon as there were other options to eat they went out of business. 

Don't understand this nostalgia to the place. Staffed by spotty teenagers who couldn't cook and served up plates of grease. Dreadful.

Edited by The Fun Factory

13 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Lashfords, there is no better sausage, they literally just make those they’re that good. 

They sell these in all the cafes around here (Shirley) and loads of people rave about them. Can’t say I’m that impressed.

For me, the best place for sausages is Don Guest butchers in Halesowen. These are incredible, a variety of different flavours as well. The chilli and Garlic ones are immense 

On 01/05/2024 at 17:16, T-Dog said:

Well, as it's an open goal....

Gravy.

• Haha 4

Actually let's hear it for the minimalist version - bacon and eggs (plus toast and tea/coffee). EBL (English Breakfast Lite) as I call it. 

Sometimes it's all you need. 

• Like 4

Â