January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I also don’t think it will be any easier to get players in the summer, it may even be harder with the players and positions we’ll be looking at and other clubs interested. 

Might be the crux of it, I think January is a shit window

Agree summer will still be very hard too

But again thinking and acknowledging how hard I think it is means I therefore can't be too downbeat over it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

11:59pm - we finally have some news for Villa fans. We can indeed now confirm that Wesley Moraes has been recalled from his loan spell at Levante.

That's an hour after the window closes. All the other players be waiting in Villa Park behind the curtains with the lights off sniggering to themselves when he turns up.

Then he'll realise and be, like 'aaaaaah, ya bastards, you got me' and head back to Spain.

At least that's what I'd like to think is happening.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But again thinking and acknowledging how hard I think it is means I therefore can't be too downbeat over it

At least they can plan for the summer now with Emery’s full input and consideration.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Fair enough! I still have reservations about our recruitment team as I’ve had before and I can’t imagine Emery is too happy given the player areas he indicated he wanted to fill.  We’ve had a month to do something in those areas and they haven’t given Emery the tools he needs.  Not one position but a number of positions.

Just now, CVByrne said:

We simply have no pressing need to pay over the odds for players this window

Will we overpay in the summer because the competition will likely be fierce for the players we are after.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Will we overpay in the summer because the competition will likely be fierce for the players we are after.

I think relative to this window there will be a lot more players on the market and it being summer you don't have teams desperate to make singings to avoid relegation, make Europe or title challenges. 

Summer is just a better time to do business. All the clubs best signings have been in summer. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m incredibly upbeat about the Villa.  

I love the owners, I’m a massive fan of Emery and I love what the club are doing with the youth and stadium.  

I think there needs surgery on this squad though and while we’ve got some of the fringe out which is good, for me this was an opportunity on upside with this squad, to give Emery some additional tools to keep the upbeat run going,  we can continue without that but he could’ve done, as he said, with some additional players.  

I also don’t think it will be any easier to get players in the summer, it may even be harder with the players and positions we’ll be looking at and other clubs interested.  

So I’m massively upbeat with the Villa generally, I just have decades of association with this club when they continually fail to take opportunities.  

Overall, outside of this transfer window, I’m incredibly upbeat about Villa.

I'm glad to hear it, we all should be upbeat about our club at the moment. I know you wanted more signings,we all did, but as I've already posted, and I'm sure you can see it, if the players Unai wanted are simply not available for whatever reason it's best to wait until they are instead of signing 3rd or 4th choices just to keep the fanbase happy. Emery knows who he wants to build his team and we should be patient with him

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m incredibly upbeat about the Villa.  

I love the owners, I’m a massive fan of Emery and I love what the club are doing with the youth and stadium.  

I think there needs surgery on this squad though and while we’ve got some of the fringe out which is good, for me this was an opportunity on upside with this squad, to give Emery some additional tools to keep the upbeat run going,  we can continue without that but he could’ve done, as he said, with some additional players.  

So I’m massively upbeat with the Villa generally, I just have decades of association with this club when they continually fail to take opportunities.  

Overall, outside of this transfer window, I’m incredibly upbeat about Villa.

I'm really pleased to hear that. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Well I am surprised we didn't bring anyone else in as I really thought we would but I'm not too bothered about it. Getting rid of some deadwood in the squad has been a big plus this window. 

I've never for one second thought about European qualification this season, even now after the decent run with Emery. We have to hope Liverpool and Chelsea don't turn things around and then still have to hope Brentford, Fulham and Brighton all have a complete meltdown? It's a bit delusional. Our form has been good but we won't sustain this, at least I'm not entirely convinced we will by our performances. 

I've said it time and time again, top half would be fantastic. Finish in the top 10 for the first time in over a decade and then think about Europe. 

Why do we need Brighton Fulham and Brentford to have a complete meltdown? There is a 3 point gap with almost half a season to play - I think 8th would get us into the europa conference league and is very much achievable 

• Like 1

I haven't been keeping up to date with the window today, how likely is it that we don't sign anyone and we go with what we've got? has anything been said by any journos or on SSN that we won't be signing anyone?

I don't mind if we don't, we've signed too many bang average players in the past and its nice to see us clearing the deadwood out, we have enough to get by this season and then get who we want in the summer.

January is always a funny window, nobody wants to lose any regulars, let alone their better players, midway through a season. Of course a star acquisition would have been nice, and I’m sure we tried.

But I do see little need to pay over the odds on a gamble now to try and cement Europe if the opportunity cost is the detriment of the summer window. Hopefully Emery has bought into this being a project and is here for the long haul, I’d much rather we were careful and got the right players in.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I think the striker market will be insane this summer, will be amazed if we don't break our record to the tune of +£10m on one

But again part of why the striker hunt, which is now starting to feel like that CM we needed to buy for about 3 summers running, isn't annoying me that much is because I genuinely don't see an obvious candidate, glad we didn't get dembele

• Like 1