January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

That's not true. What is true is if you stand still you drop down the leagues, its the way it is like it or not, nothing to do with been spoilt. 

Lucky that we aren’t standing still then

I just think the people we wanted either were too expensive for what we were willing to pay, or didn't want a January move.

We've reduced our wage bill and cleared out a lot of deadwood. It might have left us a bit thin, but it leaves us in a great place for Summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powehi said:

We've got one game a week and six/seven players in reserve - plus some talented youth. We'll be fine mate.

Only one reserve striker who has never kicked a ball in this or any other top league. 

We can't recall our promising youth striker who is on loan. 

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well personally I'd rather not see Olsen or Dendoncker start another game for us, or have to rely on starting Bailey up front by himself. If you're all good with that, I'm delighted for you and I envy your ability to disregard the reality of the situation.

Dendoncker had a stinker recently, but he has played pretty well for us otherwise.  Can't see why you're ignoring Duran.

Olsen I have to agree on, I'd rather have Sinasalo on the bench. 

Just now, Powehi said:

Baffling answer. He literally scored the winner in the last game. Bailey and Buendia score goals, and indeed did so in the game before that, which we also won.

Duran might also be pretty good, seeing as we spent 15m+ on him as a 19 year old.

You said three players. That's not a lot. And all of them start—so who do we bring on? Duran sure, and we all hope he's great of course, but to imply we're not light in attack is the actual baffling thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well personally I'd rather not see Olsen or Dendoncker start another game for us, or have to rely on starting Bailey up front by himself. If you're all good with that, I'm delighted for you and I envy your ability to disregard the reality of the situation.

i'm not quite sure what your issue is. is it that you think the club has made no attempt to sign any players? or you think that we should just sign players that aren't 100% what emery is looking for?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powehi said:

Baffling answer. He literally scored the winner in the last game. Bailey and Buendia score goals, and indeed did so in the game before that, which we also won.

Duran might also be pretty good, seeing as we spent 15m+ on him as a 19 year old.

I’m sure some of the people moaning now will call Jhon crap or a waste of money if he has one bad performance too 

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

Have you actually looked at the table and the recent form table?  We're three points off 6th place and 3rd, 4th or 5th on current form depending on number of games counted, we have a Manager who is either elite or very close to it, and we have momentum.  What makes you think we won't get Europe?

over 50 years of watching the villa home and away and even i know we wont get a european spot this season.

I know its a natural thing to find someone to blame for soemthing, but I really think the club tried with Emery's targets. However, due to either the selling clubs not wanting to sell midseason or are charging us more than the player is worth we probably thought to stand pat till the summer. Also I think majority of the targets we were linked with in the media may have been agent driven/bs. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's better we do a huge spend in the summer due to having a stronger position with FFP? 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

£40m on Chris Wood and Dan Burn. Two 30 year olds.

Bruno and Tripps yeah good buys but I wouldn't say they nailed it. They spent a shit load on 3 players they will never see again...but they had to. We don't.

They nailed it with the coach that got so much more out the players they already had. The 2 signings that did well were a bonus.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a crazy idea guys... what if we continue to do well with the players we've already been doing well with, for the rest of the season, without signing anyone just for the sake of it?

No, we need to sign a mediocre backup striker to Watkins. Who, when he plays won't be good enough, so I can go into his player thread and post angry comments about terminating his contract or selling him to Turkey.

• Like 4

Relax people, relax.

We are fine.

Trust the process. Let’s not wish for more shitty contracts being dished out to shitty players.

Let’s just wait and see what happens.  NSWE went out and got us an Elite manager.  Elite players will follow.

If not now, then in the summer.

Anyway, all the cashiers are probably just busy taking Chelsea’s orders.

• Like 2