January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Assuming Raikhy, K Young and maybe B Young will get some bench-time if we sign no-one else...

Raikhy got some minutes in the mid-season games so Emery has obviously seen something he likes in him.

Light up front for sure, and if Nakamba goes Id be a bit worried about CM depth - just leaves Luiz, Kamara and Dendoncker as that type of CM. None of us want to see McGinn back there ever again.

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Assuming Raikhy, K Young and maybe B Young will get some bench-time if we sign no-one else...

Raikhy got some minutes in the mid-season games so Emery has obviously seen something he likes in him.

Light up front for sure, and if Nakamba goes Id be a bit worried about CM depth - just leaves Luiz, Kamara and Dendoncker as that type of CM. None of us want to see McGinn back there ever again.

I’m looking forward to McGinn returning after his injury, but maybe that’s just me.

• Like 2

It's weird, the narrative before Emery joined was the players/squad wasn't good enough and he would get considerable funds to overhaul it, pretty sure we were pretty billy big b*llocks about giving him a big war chest as part of his agreement to join.

But then he turned this bunch of dead weights into a team capable of grinding out and occasionally nailing some impressive wins.

The Stevenage loss (and a few times he's had to use fringe players) certainly would have shown Emery how poor our squad depth is, Moreno is a good signing, Duran is meant to be one for the future greenlit by - but not chosen by the manager (maybe he will start sooner than we think).

I thought we wanted a 'big finish' insert Kenneth gif. 

If we let Nakamba and Chambers go aswell as Ings, Archer (loan), Ludwig, Guilbert and Sanson without anymore incomings, I can't see us really getting anywhere near European places unless we really do remain injury free till the end of the season.

11 hours ago, allani said:

We also missed out on winning the title and competing in the early years of Sky / the Premier League because our owner wanted to haggle over £0.5 million rather than sign players that our managers / scouts / etc were convinced would help us compete.  It's amazing how quickly people forget. 😉😉😉

What an utterly random quote?  

We are not challenging for the title, we are in a mid-season window and this is not Doug Ellis.  Says something when you have to go back to the early 90’s for a reference 🙄

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe a straight swap with Fenerbahce? They get Coutinho, we get Enner Valencia.

Didn't Di Matteo want Valencia and Xia went to watch him play for West Ham and dismissed the idea. One of the few things he got right.

Always interesting looking at Turkish clubs to see what long forgotten players have ended up there. Josh King plays for them now for example as does Michy Batshuyai so two who've been linked with us in the past but getting a decent last pay day.

Diego Rossi fits our profile but not really scored a huge amount. They signed him from MLS and he has 4 caps for Uruguay so actually pretty similar to Duran.

They got in Joao Pedro aswell, always liked watching him in Serie A so in terms of attacking stopgaps we could do worse although I can't see us letting Coutinho go until the summer as our attacking options are so thin currently.

I was hoping for 3 in, 3 out but perhaps villa just heard 3 out, 3 out. 

A glimmer of hope is what Newcastle ate/have done. They’re a shining light for what a decent coach can do with good players and I would put Emery’s statue as a coach above Howe personally.

Perhaps we’ve missed out on a couple of our key targets and he’s just gone ‘let’s stick a pin in it until the summer and see what these lot have got for the next 18 games’. Not what I would have done personally but hey ho. 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

The exits don't really bother me. 

Augustinsson = 3rd choice loanee - enough cover at LB. 

Bednarek = 4th choice loanee - enough cover at CB. 

Guilbert = about 5th choice RB - enough cover there and was loaned out for two seasons. 

Sanson = about 6th choice CM - enough cover there. 

Archer = loaned about because hardly got any game time so seemingly not thought of as good enough? Prove them wrong, Cammie! 

Ings = 2nd choice striker - most concerning exit but, at his age, with those wages and, for that fee, it absolutely made sense. Cover? Watkins and Bailey up front. If one gets injured we will maybe play 4-3-3?

The lack of a third (first) striker in the squad is the main concern for me. Seems like they're waiting for a big target but, what if they don't want to come here? That's the worry. 

I agree. If Olli doesn't perform or gets injured, that's our risk.

I'd still like us to get rid of Coutinho.