January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I would absolutely love it, if we sign 3 more players before the closing of the transfer window. However if we don't sign anyone I'll accept it purely on the belief that nobody else was signed on the basis of nobody suitable was obtainable.

A suitable signing is:

1 - better then what we currently have, in that position. This is because the quality of the first team and squad need to be improved. If you strengthen the first team, then the displaced first teamers that stay lead to greater depth. The only exception is if the player has such huge potential and possesses the right mentality to realise much of it. An example of this would IMO be Moliero.

2 - Fits nicely into our tactical approach, and plays the way we need a player in their position on the pitch to play. If they don't then we have another Ings signing. Good player whose talents we can't properly make use of, thus no real improvement in the team. Unless a player is THAT good, we have to build the team around them being the only exception.

3 - Is a team player that fits in with the squad and wants to be coached. No exceptions!

That is the primary criteria on whether signing a player us viable. Other factors such as age, and experience, then also have to be taken into account.

However while I will be okay with not signing anyone else, I will also be disappointed that we have been able to bring in a significant signing. As the two we have made so far I don't believe improve us much, if all (in light of losing an important source of goals). There should've been enough time to line up at least one player that fits the criteria. So there will be a little disappointment on my part.

There is a huge consensus more than any other transfer window where the posters are so united on what the team need most. A striker, a winger, and a creative midfielder.

If we don't do the business the team needs before the deadline, then the business done to address this need in the summer has to be stellar!

Guendouzi and Nico William would be stellar, Dembele would be decent. Thuram would be good. Moliero would be a lovely addition on top of the 3 aforementioned positions being filled. But otherwise decent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ings is the only person that leaves us light. And none of us know what Dhuran can offer in this system. 

With Digne and Mcginn back and Carlos close the squad is still looking very strong. 

I don't know why, but I've just got a very good feeling about Dhuran.

I feel he will progress quicker and have more of an impact than people think.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It will be a bench that has McGinn, Digne and Dendoncker on it though. Not saying it's strong, but there are a few options. Add Carlos to the mix in a couple of weeks time and it's not THAT bad!

No, it's not that bad at all, and from a midfield and defensive perspective, unless we have major issues with multiple injuries in one position, we should be stocked. But what it won't have is any forward option other than a 19 year old who hasn't kicked a ball in English football yet. People (not saying you here, just generally) keep saying things like 'we shouldn't panic and sign the wrong player!' which is obviously, definitionally true - 'panicking' and 'doing the wrong thing' are always bad - but we should still try, in a non-panicked fashion, to get a forward player who can lead the line. If it's a loan that's fine, no problem with me to just get through the next 18 games and get ready for the transfers for the long term in the summer. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hope so too, but it's a lot of weight on his shoulders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, it's not that bad at all, and from a midfield and defensive perspective, unless we have major issues with multiple injuries in one position, we should be stocked. But what it won't have is any forward option other than a 19 year old who hasn't kicked a ball in English football yet. People (not saying you here, just generally) keep saying things 'we shouldn't panic and sign the wrong player!' which is obviously, definitionally true - 'panicking' and 'doing the wrong thing' are always bad - but we should still try, in a non-panicked fashion, to get a forward player who can lead the line. If it's a loan that's fine, no problem with me to just get through the next 18 games and get ready for the transfers for the long term in the summer. 

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I’m on this page as well. Without being unrealistic - it may take time for him to settle, but that’s true of any signing - I don’t believe we are yet a club to spend £15m+ on potential. They see him as an option off the bench.

• Like 1

Sounds like we will sign a striker for sure, if we don't get one of our top targets for that position will instead go for a loan option, loan option might be underwhelming but if so probably just a stop-gap to cover the void left by Ings until the summer, or could be that we manage to get a really good striker in on loan if it comes to that, could still yet get our first choice on permanent transfer.

31 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Agreed, it's not the sale of Ings as such, it's the timing. A wide forward who can act as backup to the (so far) less than prolific Bailey, and can bag a few would be great. Watkins can play wide, but we know he's not at his best there, and we wouldn't then have any recognised strikers.

I think it would be a bit unfair (although it would be great) to expect Jhon to come straight in and start firing immediately. I'm hoping he can be immense for us, but that's medium term.

Instead of just looking at goals, look at the games played and points he's earned us since Emery came in. 

Ings won us a point in the wolves game, and turned 0 into 3 vs Brighton,  where he scored a penalty that could have been scored by someone else in our squad... assume for a moment they someone else would have scored that penalty, he's effectively won us 3 points since Emery came in. In 7 games. He was also party to the stevenage shambles. 

His contribution would be roughly ~8.5 points in the 18 games left.

We lose his goals and all round play from the team, but we don't really suffer for it as Emery barely used him, and in any case he could well have got injured for us like he did West ham. He was due one. 

Duran can probably be expected to offer some of what we lost with Ings, but probably nothing quite as consistent. Maybe enough to earn us 4 of the 8.5 points we lose. Its far from a disaster.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how good the rest of the squad is at penalties, and I may have over estimated Duran contribution. But really, Ings was only likely to be a bit part player for Emery, and whether we got someone else in our not, Ings wouldn't have got much game time. 

Edit: for balance, an injury to Bailey or Watkins leaves us unbearably light though, and given Bailey's history I think it's a gamble we shouldn't be taking, a loan should be brought in as a minimum. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Are you saying Dendoncker doesn't have the ability to beat a man and whip a cross in?

Gerrard seemed to expect that from him with the way he used him as a game-changing sub.

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

If the question is, "which striker is really shit?"

Yes.

Oh and it's Davis.

No its Davies ...... he plays for my local pub side. Who are you thinking of ?!!!

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think this is key. Pretty much everyone we've lost (except Ings) doesn't impact our first team squad at all.

Moreno improves our first team squad, Duran adds a bit of squad depth but may improve it by next season.

Also worth considering in terms of our accounts for the year.

Augustinsson, Bednarek, Sanson, Guilbert, Ings - all their salaries off our books. That's circa 7 to 8m. If Naka leaves and you add in the saved wages and Loan fee for Archer that's probably about 9m. Saved expenditure / income.

If West Ham stay up we get a total of 15m for Ings and he had remaining book value of £12m (based on zero of the 5m add ons triggering so he cost us 25m). So that would be an additional 3m. Pushing us to 12m better off on the outgoings in terms of our accounts and FFP calcs

Alex Moreno will cost us £1.7m in amortisation and say 1.25m in wages. Then Duran assume he's on a 5.5year contract so his amortisation will be 1.35m for this season and say wages of 1.3m too so 5.6m in additional costs.

So atm we are looking at ~£6m+ better off financially. 

If Sanson, Traore, Davis, Hause all move on in summer there is more profit to be booked in next years accounts at the start really helping us with serious financial power to make key signings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Instead of just looking at goals, look at the games played and points he's earned us since Emery came in. 

Ings won us a point in the wolves game, and turned 0 into 3 vs Briton,  where he scored a penalty that could have been scored by someone else in our squad... assume for a moment they someone else would have scored that penalty, he's effectively won us 3 points since Emery came in. In 7 games. He was also party to the stevenage shambles. 

His contribution would be roughly ~8.5 points in the 18 games left.

We lose his goals and all round play from the team, but we don't really suffer for it as Emery barely used him, and in any case he could well have got injured for us like he did West ham. He was due one. 

Duran can probably be expected to offer some of what we lost with Ings, but probably nothing quite as consistent. Maybe enough to earn us 4 of the 8.5 points we lose. Its far from a disaster.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how good the rest of the squad is at penalties, and I may have over estimated Duran contribution. But really, Ings was only likely to be a bit part player for Emery, and whether we got someone else in our not, Ings wouldn't have got much game time. 

Again that depends on injuries to Bailey. 

I get your points there, well made. What I would add though is do you think Ollie can step it up, because he's been a 1: 5 striker, and if you extrapolate his goals out either including or excluding the Gerrard regime, he's only got another 5 in him this season. We desperately need goals. 

• Thanks 1