January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I firmly believe we will be signing a couple more players, at least, and it could even go down to deadline day (which is so often the case for most clubs and the busiest day).

But, even if we’re relatively quiet, we have a huge summer to look forward to.

However, I want to enjoy, and for the club to make the most out of, the remainder of the season.

Plenty to be positive about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m still not getting this. So there is a plane going between Birmingham and Spain at some point today so we’re signing a Real Sociedad player or a Villarreal player or maybe selling Nakamba? And this is the ITK you all love?

I think you have to be a certain age (or at least have been a member of this forum for a certain length of time) to fully appreciate why so many of us believe that TheTrees wears a cape and is just a rung or two below Paul McGrath in legendary status.  For a certain period of time Villatalkers waited on news from TheTrees with religious-like zeal bordering on fanaticism.  No rumour could be believed until news came in that one of Lerner's private jets was either heading to the UK or heading towards an overseas airport.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Assume half of PL spending is Chelsea though 

Said that in an earlier post (about practically the same tweet). Thought it was a normal remark, but apparently it's a laughable, point-missing takeaway to make about those figures.

30 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Chelsea have outspent the rest of Europe on their own, twice over. 

Oh, so suddenly it's no longer 🤣 when someone else says it, then?

Edited by His Name Is Death

I’m happy either way, it’s been a good window I think.

Brought in some decent competition at left back, signed a high potential youngster from Colombia.

Finally managed to get Guilbert out permanently and Sanson on loan.

The team is in good shape as it is, if we were fortunate to not pick up injuries to key players we’ll be fine with what we have in terms of a top half finish perhaps.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

I think you have to be a certain age (or at least have been a member of this forum for a certain length of time) to fully appreciate why so many of us believe that TheTrees wears a cape and is just a rung or two below Paul McGrath in legendary status.  For a certain period of time Villatalkers waited on news from TheTrees with religious-like zeal bordering on fanaticism.  No rumour could be believed until news came in that one of Lerner's private jets was either heading to the UK or heading towards an overseas airport.

The Trees knows his planes. Been plane spotting with him at Aldridge International airport many times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Brought in some decent competition at left back, signed a high potential youngster from Colombia.

The team is in good shape as it is, if we were fortunate to not pick up injuries to key players we’ll be fine with what we have in terms of a top half finish perhaps.

This is how I feel. We have 18 games left to play in around 4 months. It’s more or less a game a week so the squad should cope. A bit of cover for Ollie would be ideal though.

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This window has become incredibly boring and frustrating at the same time.  It's a weird combo of emotions because while it's boring, I check my feed far more often and while it's frustrating, if we dont do anything then while the squad is short, it's not a massive deal but still this window feels boring and frustrating.

Its the winter window most deals happen like with 72 hours of it shutting, I wouldn’t be so quick to criticise it just yet, things will definitely be happening just be patient my man… Guendouzi is 80% done in my mind 😋

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm the same.  Would rather wait until Summer and get a player that will improve the starting XI rather than sign another squad filler.  If we have an injury crisis then we better start using some of the amazing youth talent we have.

Playing the investigation game from TheTrees' link to Real Sociedad - it could be for one of their defenders Elustondo or Zubeldia. Both out of contract in 2024 so overall fee would be on the lower end of the scale, and also increases the likelihood of a January sale a bit more.

Would make some sense if the recent talk of Chambers being able to leave as we would need cover. Elustondo could be that Right Back / Centre Back cover whilst Zubeldia is a Defensive Midfielder converted to Centre Back - he's good on the ball and has positional versatitility that could help in an injury crisis - heaven forbid.

Think we really need to sign a winger this week. I know Emery likes to play with more flexibility than out-and-out wingers but with only Leon Bailey available we’re clearly lacking in options in that space. Emery has publicly said the same, too.

Other than that I think we’re short of strikers, Duran is one for the future and we’ve been playing with a hybrid 2 up top so only 1 recognised senior striker in the squad also looks like a gap in the squad.

I’d be really disappointed and quite shocked if we didn’t bring in players in those 2 positions this week. As for midfielders, it would be great to make a major signing like Guendouzi, but it’s not a priority as we have enough options to see us through to the summer.

Edited by david-avfc

4 minutes ago, Wes said:

Playing the investigation game from TheTrees' link to Real Sociedad - it could be for one of their defenders Elustondo or Zubeldia. Both out of contract in 2024 so overall fee would be on the lower end of the scale, and also increases the likelihood of a January sale a bit more.

Would make some sense if the recent talk of Chambers being able to leave as we would need cover. Elustondo could be that Right Back / Centre Back cover whilst Zubeldia is a Defensive Midfielder converted to Centre Back - he's good on the ball and has positional versatitility that could help in an injury crisis - heaven forbid.

Why would those players leave when they are sitting 3rd in the league?

29 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm the same.  Would rather wait until Summer and get a player that will improve the starting XI rather than sign another squad filler.  If we have an injury crisis then we better start using some of the amazing youth talent we have.

Are our youth that amazing though? Only time will tell whether they can truly make a difference regularly for our first team. I know there is a lot of hope for our youth and we can all see why but most aren’t anywhere ready for regular first team minutes or even material minutes.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1