January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

50 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yep, the rumours have really dried up. There might be a surprise or some late activity but we could have missed out on those we wanted and be sticking to plan to wait until summer. 

Or no one knew anything in the first place.

We are as likely to sign someone tomorrow now as we would be with a dozen rumours.

• Like 1

The worst headline I’ve read in the past week was on Saturday and was something along the lines, “Martinez to start and Ings to lead the line for Villa at Southampton.” I can’t remember which excuse for a news outlet this was from. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Similarly, I have PTSD related to the 18M+ we paid for Traore when we could have gotten him for much, much cheaper. Lyon were desperate to move him. Seems everyone but Villa knew it. Part of the reason I am skeptical about Lange and shudder when our fans think 10M for Dembele  or 50M for Luiz Henrique is a good deal. It's monopoly money to some, I guess.

Is the money concern about financial fair play implications or the club/owners over extending themselves? 

1 hour ago, useless said:

Laid back Emery plays it cool in the transfer market, the Spaniard who's made a succesful start to his Villa reign taking sixteen points from a possible twenty-one, wants to add reinforcements to his Villa squad but is no mood to stockpile players for the sake of it, players will only be added if they're better than what he already has or if they offer his team a different dimension.

That sounds about right, and I'm honestly alright with it. We aren't getting relegated. You could maybe even make the argument that because Europe is a possibility, Emery should go for it and sign everyone. But I'm OK with mapping things out deliberately and not going for a short term sugar rush of Europa League qualification at the expense of the long term health of the club.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

There was quite a bit of mention a few days ago that Cash's position is at risk as Unai may want a RB that:

Stays back, effectively becoming a 3rd CB and is much more robust defensively, doesn't push forward and is better at stopping crosses and defending...

Allowing the left back to become the attacking outlet, high pushing up the pitch, free-flowing attacking presence.

3) For that blue-print, there would be not many players better for us than Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

Not buying Unai is at United scouting them or Forest for games in April. Must be a player, only one that makes sense to me is AWB

• Like 1

I think what becomes increasingly obvious, as the clickbait rumours get more and more bizarre, is that the good ship AVFC is so tightly run that it is now virtually impossible for the media to know anything that the club don’t want them to know. There was a brief dropping of the guard when we had to endure the Slippy G and Larry Limelight show but now one’s gone and the other has had his wings clipped. I think Unai is well on board with the tight lips policy and so nothing will slip out now. Prepare to be surprised, delighted or maybe disappointed but don’t expect to be informed, at least not until the big boys with the cheque book decide to let you know. 

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He’s at the Forest Man Utd game. Sorry if I’m late to the party on that. 

I like how the BBC ran with "maybe he's looking to do a deal" - maybe he is...

...but he's also the manager of a football club with the opportunity to watch two teams who compete in the same league as the one he manages at a ground which is (presumably) not too far from where he lives.