January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Not sure what’s going on with Cashy! Why would he not be picked ahead of Young? 

Young is playing very well. Better than Matty at the moment. I like Cashy, but Ash has been one of our better players this season.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Actually glad (for once) that we don’t have a game for a while and can focus on transfer activity, it’s exciting and intriguing…

Hope we really strengthen, demonstrate ambition and are able to attack every game with the intent to climb that table and maybe even try to sneak into an European spot… we need more goals in this team. There are plenty of games left (this season is far from over or “lost” or wasted) and a few quality additions could make it one to remember fondly and our best since promotion. 

• Like 1

What's happened to Donyell Malen at Dortmund?  

His goalscoring record since joining in 2021 has fallen off a cliff there, five in 37 games. 

He had 40 in 81 at PSV.

I take it he may be playing more out wide/disciplined for Dortmund (don't watch them enough to say for certain). 

Still only 24. With the amount of running and pressing Emery wants his front two to get through he might be worth a look. A more polished version of Bailey perhaps.

Edited by HolteExile

Guendouzi is literally a perfect fit for where Buendia is currently playing so makes the most sense, as Buendia has been poor, outside of his effort, which is always good. For me Buendia is too slow, too weak, and not a good enough dribbler to succeed as an advanced attacker. I don't believe he has the tools to succeed in the premier league as a result. Love him to prove me wrong though. People say Bailey is inconsistent, which is a little unfair, but Buendia is consistently poor! Today he was getting a lot of space, and did f*** all with it! Against Man U he did okay, and second half against Tottenham he was decent. That's it all season, nothing else to see!

Guendouzi would be a very important signing. and midfield 4 of Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey and Guendouzi would almost have it all. Kamara the complete number 6, Luiz makes us tick, keeps the ball moving, switches play intelligently and a good passer. Ramsey strong, good ball carrier, good finisher, hard worker. Guendouzi, tenacious, good ball carrier, hard worker, live wire. 

The striker is the hard one for me. I like Thuram, and I like Dembele, but they are both risks (both are far from being certain to be good enough for the premier league). Thuram I think would suit us a little better as he can play off the left as well, so would fit into Emery's tactics nicely, Dembele is very much through the centre. Having said that both Bailey and Buendia would probably Benefit from Dembele. Dembele's aerial prowess would be perfect for Bailey as he provides some delicous deliveries. Buendia as we know linked up very well the finnish striker at Norwich, who attacked straight down the middle.

Deulofeu makes little sense to me. not a striker, plays off the left, so would we play a 4-3-3 instead, or go without a recognised striker, or play Watkins off the right wing (which is his least preferred position). Watkins likes to work the left channel, by going wide to the left and coming inside.

Danjuma make some sense, plays off the left, not an out an out striker, but more so tahn Deulofeu. but injury prone, which is why we are steering clear i believe. Young Duran is a striker that was converted from a winger. Left footed, so I assume he likes to come in off the right. But he is basically a mystery to me.

I can see this one being someone completely unexpected.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We have no money so no choice to go bargain hunting.

you don't know this at all so please stop repeating it

it is clear from todays game that we are in need of at least 2 players for depth alone. that bench was scary

I’ve got a feeling that we are trying to see who we can shift before making our moves. We are waiting to see how much we have to play with in terms of wages and once we get closer to the end of the window, we will make our moves, with personal terms for the players that we want, probably already agreed. 
With this in mind, I would predict another out in the early part of the week, followed by 2  to 3 new signings towards the end of the week/start of next week. I think the next few days will prove to be very interesting.

• Like 2

I don't believe that we have no money. I think they just want to free up wages by getting rid of deadwood first. Guilbert and Ings are off the payroll. If they can offload Augustinsson, Sanson, Nakamba and Chambers we absolutely will replace them. So, I think we will see another three in at least if those players leave. The three will probably be a striker, midfielder and centre back. Unless, Unai thinks Carlos is close and doesn't want to rush a CB now and waits for the summer instead. 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 1

I admit I’ve previously been a bit baffled by the players we need, with Emery’s system being a bit of unknown to me. 

As a Villatalk sense check do we think we’re actively looking to bring in a LM/CAM, RW/SS, ST and a CM, so 4 new players in total now, with a LCB and RB/CB in the summer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't believe that we have no money. I think they just want to free up wages by getting rid of deadwood first. Guilbert and Ings are off the payroll. If they can offload Augustinsson, Sanson, Nakamba and Chambers we absolutely will replace them. So, I think we will see another three in at least if those players leave. The three will probably be a striker, midfielder and centre back. Unless, Unai thinks Carlos is close and doesn't want to rush a CB now and waits for the summer instead. 

Yes we’re finally acting sensible 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

In the article linked in this tweet...

'There could be other surprise exits after Ings, with Poland international Matt Cash and Lucas Digne facing uncertain futures.'

Oh the one from days ago, thought there was something new