January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But still not a striker similar to Bailey.  It’s like Luke Shaw has shown he can play CB despite being a LB but you wouldn’t play him there long term.

That’s what Emery want’s hence the reason we’ve seem Bailey and Buendia partnering a out and out striker in Ollie or Ings. I do see your point though I wouldn’t want Bailey and Deulofeu upfront if Ollie was injured or suspended.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But it was Gerrard, Lange and Purslow involved….two of those three are still involved in this.

I think the most important part of this, is that Unai is now involved mate.

I reckon he even came with his own list of players pr " profiles " before he even got here.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MentalM said:

No, but he would be a striker that can keep possesion and bring others into the game.

He isnt supposed to be similar to Bailey, he would give us something we are in dire need of now. Someone who can keep the ball further up the pitch. 

I  am 100% in for Deulofeu, it makes sense if he isnt expensive.

I’m ok for Deulofeu but not as the striker imo.  Happy with Deulofeuand a striker.

Pipe dream: Ings +30m for Paqueta - If West Ham are going 2 up top, which they'd almost certainly be with Ings, they're better off with Rice and Soucek as the two in midfield, they have tonnes of wingers, and Paqueta would be be more than ideal for one of the outside midfielders in Emery's formation.

Selling Ings for 15m on paper makes total business sense, but in footballing terms, it means we need to sign a new striker in a window where our recent-ish history has been Samatta, Baston and Grant Holt (and Grabban and Hogan when we were setting money on fire in the Championship). We can only do it if we have a player lined up, and the offer is too good to refuse. I don't know if 15m is enough on it's own in the circumstances, even if it makes business sense.

For a replacement, Thuram looks like an ideal signing on paper - has played wide and central in the past, so can basically compete for the positions Watkins, Bailey and Buendia have all been filling. Might also be a pipe dream though.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the most important part of this, is that Unai is now involved mate.

I reckon he even came with his own list of players before he even got here.

I can only hope.  I trust Emery, but I just worry about our transfer recruitment ability.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m ok for Deulofeu but not as the striker imo.  Happy with Deulofeuand a striker.

I would be ok, but thats normal to look at football from two different perspectives! 🤗

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes, all good points. Watkins can frustrate the hell out of me, but I just don’t see him as being a problem. He’s not on massive wages - 50/70k and I think he’s a great option if not a starter. If he demands a move then yeh, you have a problem.

For me, Bailey, Buendia and Cash are the next three to be replaced in the XI. 

Not sure about your chopping block. Bailey has generally done quite well under Emery in the league. We'd have 4 - 6 less points right now if not for him. Buendia offers us something different. For it's between him and Coutinho, one will stay one will go. Cash I don't see leaving as he is a very dynamic player whom I believe Emery can improve.

However if high quality alternatives can be attracted then there are only 5 players in the squad Emery wouldn't look to replace. However not of those 3 will be moved on this window. And probably not the next one either.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Not sure about your chopping block. Bailey has generally done quite well under Emery in the league. We'd have 4 - 6 less points right now if not for him. Buendia offers us something different. For it's between him and Coutinho, one will stay one will go. Cash I don't see leaving as he is a very dynamic player whom I believe Emery can improve.

However if high quality alternatives can be attracted then there are only 5 players in the squad Emery wouldn't look to replace. However not of those 3 will be moved on this window. And probably not the next one either.

I’m not saying get rid, I’m just saying that they’ll become squad players more than being guaranteed starters. 

Bailey isn’t consistent enough and I don’t think Buendia or Cash are the level we need to progress. Great squad options. 

Selling ings would be disastrous its definitely not worth 10-15 million… he isnt a bad player and actually gets us goals when we need it, quite baffling tbh, hes not the ings 2/3 seasons ago yes but we can hold off until summer and then take our time to assess bringing in a top centre forward, but i dont want us panicking scrambling for recruitments, we need to conclude our business by bringing in Guendouzi and a winger, then start again in the summer, please do not sell ings at this time. 🙏

Its a no to Delofeu, thuram, Ounani and Danjuma

Edited by RicRic

Expect our activity to really heat up now, bring some proper quality in for Emery to help fire us up the league. Let’s go!

We must trust in this manager, no point hanging on to overpaid reserves. Replace with better and players that fit into Unai’s set up and can really contribute. We need energy and dynamism… 

It’s exciting, we’re building an Emery team/squad, can only be a good thing. So much we can improve on…

Trust in Unai.

Edited by Jas10