January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

27 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The Leeds signing looks like a desperation one to me, if we were signing a forward with his goal record there would be absolute meltdown levels of anger on here. 

Just because they are big numbers, it doesn't mean they are doing the right thing. 

Also, who the hell are Wolves nailed on to sign for £50m? Or is this speculation that you're now passing off as a done deal?

Wolves triggered the fee after the initial loan. 

Leeds sign a striker who’s never scored more than 10 goals in a league season. It honestly feels like people just want to moan for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Our seasons over now we out the fa cup

That’s not true! We still have a chance to get a European place through the league.  I don’t think we are good enough at all but who knows, look where Newcastle are.  With Emery and a few quality signings and a bit of luck it could happen, I think it’s unlikely and a top ten is a great season but you can’t give up half a season when we aren’t that far of European places at the moment.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Wolves signing a player for 50 Million. Leeds signing one for 35Mil. Villa need to step up to be able to compete. 
Come on do something.

I would not want us to spend that amount on either player that Wolves and Leeds are signing.

Let’s trust in Emery who is clearly looking at players that will help him succeed.

As he has quite the track record of success I trust that the players he wants are good enough to see us improve. And that’s before he continues to improve the players already at the club.

Guendouzi and Danjuma would improve us massively, especially with Diego Carlos back (hopefully) soon.

Fingers crossed we can bring those 2 in.

Watch us sign Akinfenwa and Jagielka now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

More than half the season to go. 6 points off 6th. Nah, still plenty to play for.

I admire the optimism but we are not finishing top 6 mate.  Seems negative but i think its more realistic 

Hopefully your right and im wrong!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Wolves triggered the fee after the initial loan. 

Leeds sign a striker who’s never scored more than 10 goals in a league season. It honestly feels like people just want to moan for the sake of it. 

It was the same last summer, people automatically seem to rate another clubs signings as better than us.

There was Leeds with all their signings from the Bundesliga, Soton signing the likes of Caleta Car and people moaning we should have replaced Mings with him, West Ham spending big, Wolves dropped 30 mil on a striker who has only scored 2 goals so far (one where the keeper passed the ball to him and left him with an empty net). How are all those clubs doing this season?

No doubt we've wasted money and made poor signings, but it's pretty much the case for everyone. There's only really Brentford and Brighton where you'd say they more consistently get value for money.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Absolutely but i am on the other hand seeing top reviews on Guendouzi attitude aside which is swaying my opinion. My other concern is that he’s not a stable and composed player we need a more controlled player in that area I believe but it can still work for us.

I seen that Danilo kid from brazil set to sign for forest and i’m not sure a player of that quality should be going to a club like forest currently.

With that said i dont mind missing out on players only if we can match that, as you say lower the risk, buendia and bailey both in that £30M circa bracket at the time, tbh i was happy to sign both players but definitely not for the price we got them for. Now this is where we need to really assess our options and not overspend where we are wasting finance continually… now im more than happy to sell the aforementioned players  both at a loss.  

I was behind both too, I wanted Buendia a year earlier when he was available for 20m

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im just trying to not set myself up for disappointment!

The point is we like to watch games and of course sun games. With our new manager there is renewed optimism to see us play well and win games. There’s still about half a season to go and so that’s a lot of excitement,  cup or no cup. 

I think part of the frustration with regards to transfer fees paid out is that while we have top 4 owners in terms of their net worth, we aren't exactly throwing around money like it lately.  We spent a lot of money our first season back in the Prem (needed to because we had a tiny squad after promotion), but since then we're basically mid-table with our spending since.  During our first 2 seasons back in the Prem (19/20-20/21) we were 4th in the league in terms of total transfer spend and number 1 in terms of total net spend.  The past two seasons show quite differently...  We've been 9th in total fees spent in the last two seasons and 15th in net spend, and that includes the Grealish money.  Sure, maybe there were doubts with regard to Gerrard's managerial skills this summer and funds were held back, but something has changed and we aren't throwing money around like other clubs with "poorer" ownership.  Maybe FFP is hamstringing us more than we know or maybe we're seeing problems were there are none, but the one thing that is clear is that spending habits have changed recently.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I admire the optimism but we are not finishing top 6 mate.  Seems negative but i think its more realistic 

Hopefully your right and im wrong!

I think 14th or 15th seems likely, and 9th or 10th would be a great achievement after our poor start. 

30 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I think part of the frustration with regards to transfer fees paid out is that while we have top 4 owners in terms of their net worth, we aren't exactly throwing around money like it lately.  We spent a lot of money our first season back in the Prem (needed to because we had a tiny squad after promotion), but since then we're basically mid-table with our spending since.  During our first 2 seasons back in the Prem (19/20-20/21) we were 4th in the league in terms of total transfer spend and number 1 in terms of total net spend.  The past two seasons show quite differently...  We've been 9th in total fees spent in the last two seasons and 15th in net spend, and that includes the Grealish money.  Sure, maybe there were doubts with regard to Gerrard's managerial skills this summer and funds were held back, but something has changed and we aren't throwing money around like other clubs with "poorer" ownership.  Maybe FFP is hamstringing us more than we know or maybe we're seeing problems were there are none, but the one thing that is clear is that spending habits have changed recently.  

This is a thoughtful take on things. Thanks. I think the root of the problem is less our owners than the lopsided, perverse market created by the petro-clubs. We underestimate how difficult things are for us. Setting wage bills aside, our net spend, you're right, hasn't been great. But stepping it up is extremely risky.  I'm sure you understand that we're not only dealing with an uneven playing field any more, but it's getting worse because players' agents are consolidating around the new reality, and the word's out that our owners are loaded, which probably, overall, hurts us more than helps on the market.  The petro-clubs' money hyper-inflates weaker players' values, too, and could any time be worse for this than the January window? We're in an especially shitty "mid-table moment" this window because there's this huge spending gap between the  Big Six and PL strugglers—and we're stuck in the middle. We need players better than what Brentford can afford, but the market immediately below the Big Six is just a whole different world of significantly lower-tier players who are -- actually -- where players like Ollie are currently sitting on the market. Our own  squad is the market we can afford lol. Do we try to muscle into the diamond market, or stick with gold?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2