January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

By telling a competent director of football the type of player he wants.

Then they, with scouting assistance, can scour the entire world for players exactly in the mould requested. They should already have a bank of 100s of players they like. Then the manager can choose from them.

Hard to do that when the manager was hired in December, there's a World Cup break, and the transfer window is January. What you're describing is likely what will happen in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Who would you have gone for instead of Moreno and Guendouzi out of curiosity 

Looool well well well … problem is you cant please everybody, I understand his statement here but its also a tricky one as both could prove to be good players under emery.

Guendouzi more so could be more than just good, even though when the reports started flying in i overreacted on the emotions side  which was based on the game we played against him in where he was just erratic towards our players and haven't liked him since then, but before that i had rated him as a player but due to my allegiance with the mighty villa i was at war with him 😂

@paul514

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I don’t see Ings as our starting striker, I don’t think he offered much against Stevenage 

If we bring in a decent inside forward/winger and throw away bailey he may be better

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You don't get a manager with the calibre of Emery coming to Villa by saying "we'd love to have you Unai, but you absolutely must stick to the "Aston Villa system" - we can't deviate from it".

Clearly we can't, because we don't have one.

Managers just sign whoever they want.

Luckily, Emery is a top manager, so it may work this time.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Clearly we can't, because we don't have one.

Managers just sign whoever they want.

Luckily, Emery is a top manager, so it may work this time.

Don’t worry we have Mr Purslow to keep him straight. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We can’t gamble on rough diamonds right now, we need immediate quality.

Why not right now, sorry? What's going on?

All anyone ever wants is immediate quality. Obviously. Why wouldn't a manager want immediate quality ever?

It costs more, and just like any signing, isn't guaranteed to work. This is the point.

Emery has a wide scouting network. He wouldn’t be this successful without it.

What do you mean? I'm interested.

I'd say his coaching is more important than his "wide scouting network". 

Bash players signed by Gerrard. 

Digne and Coutinho have been a huge waste of time and money. I'm really sorry you thought they wouldn't be, and won't change your mind despite evidence being there for all to see.

Changing your mind as evidence changes is a really good habit to get into.

• Like 2

Seems to have gone quiet with the Deulofeu and Lee Kang-In links.  I hope we're still in for one of these, either would be ideal to play in the shadow striker role, and an upgrade on Bailey.

Edited by duke313

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Why not right now, sorry? What's going on?

All anyone ever wants is immediate quality. Obviously. Why wouldn't a manager want immediate quality ever?

It costs more, and just like any signing, isn't guaranteed to work. This is the point.

What do you mean? I'm interested.

I'd say his coaching is more important than his "wide scouting network". 

Digne and Coutinho have been a huge waste of time and money. I'm really sorry you thought they wouldn't be, and won't change your mind despite evidence being there for all to see.

Changing your mind as evidence changes is a really good habit to get into.

People have been saying all kinds of stuff about emery recently that I’m pretty sure is made up. Like they imagine what traits their idealized manager has, and then apply them to Emery. 

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a quality manager. But I’m sceptical about the sheer breadth of claims I’ve seen people make about him and all his positive qualities.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

only two that seem close to anything of substance right now are:

Guendozi. Apparently we’re in for him in the €30-35 million range but they want at least €50 for him.

Kang-In. Supposedly battling it out with Newcastle for his signature. In the ballpark of £15million

Unlikely to be much of a battle, if that's the case. :( NEWCASTLE UNITED FC RFID LEATHER - FOOTBALL SPORTS MONEY WALLET PURSE NUFC  | eBay

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep no probs.  We are in talks with Ozil with a view to 3.5 year contract.  Talks ongoing with Brentford for Ben Mee, he seems keen but Brentford holding out and then we are trying to persuade Bale not to retire and play for us for the remainder of the season because Emery can’t get the winger he wants in January.  Hope that helps.

Ozil arrived earlier today think it should be all wrapped up by tomorrow 🙂

Be great if we could use Montpellier’s interest in Sanson to leverage a move for Elye Wahi, who appears perfect player for us. 

https://footballtalentscout.net/2022/11/18/elye-wahi-the-teen-striker-taking-ligue-1-by-storm-by-calum-scullion/

While his finishing is his main strength, his overall play style also includes: he likes to play a lot of short passes, he cuts inside a lot and he can also sometimes be a threat from corners and free-kicks due to his height and natural finishing ability.

While his finishing is his main on the ball strength, off the ball his movement is scarily good, he loves to attack the space behind defenders and run off of them, his movement often creates space between him and the defender and allows a teammate to play either a ball over the top or a through ball which then usually leads to Wahi having a high quality shot on goal. His movement and athleticism are integral parts of his game and he uses them very well to create opportunities for himself or his teammates.

Elye doesn’t only use his pace and athleticism to help him offensively, he also works very hard defensively and you’ll often find him tracking back and helping his teammates try to regain possession when they are on the back foot.

He is a good finisher and an overall very promising young striker however, like all young players he has some things he could improve on. While on the ball his finishing is great, he could really do more to become a link up option for his teammates, as previously stated, he loves to run off the defenders and has a great sense of positioning while receiving through balls but he’s not the best option for his teammates when they just need a quick outlet to link up the play and take the pressure off.

He could also improve his dribbling and holding on to the ball ability. His dribbling is fine when he is one on one with a defender or running towards goal but it’s when he plays with back goal and the area becomes crowded that problems arise, it often leads to him losing possession or almost panicking and trying to force a pass before he should. Overall Wahi needs to improve his hold up play and back to goal game to take himself to the next level, if he can do this he will unlock many more opportunities for goals and assists.

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1