January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Have we ever had a top class Spaniard?

Carlos Gil, Carlos Cuellar, Antonio Luna, Borja Baston. 😁😂

But to be fair, apart from the last one, all were average but had their moments. Gil scored some nice goals, Luna’s goal at Emirates. Cuellar was good whenever he played.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Remeber Jose Angel Crespo?

Jesus feckin' Christ we were really scraping the bottom of that barrel at the end there, weren't we?  Practically begging to be relegated.

• Like 3

Just now, andyjsg said:

Do we think he might approach Spurs about Lo Celso?

In the Marca interview, he said "My goal is not to bring players from Villarreal, it is to bring the concept that we generated at Villarreal. From there if a player fits us and we can do it, we would take the step."

But Spurs might be looking to offload Lo Celso when his loan finishes, so possibly we could go in for him in the summer.

1 hour ago, andyjsg said:

Do we think he might approach Spurs about Lo Celso?

Emery’s signed him twice, but I think we have enough central midfielders , both Ramsey and Sanson can play the Lo Celso role. The pressing matter for January should  be a pacy winger .

• Like 2

I have no idea what will happen this January...  If we can stay healthy and Emery can get the squad pressing and moving as a unit in his style during the WC break, Boxing Day is going to be fun...  On paper, we aren't too far away from a squad with enough quality to gatecrash into the European places, but that all depends on whether or not Emery will be able to get them punching at or above their weight.  If the squad really takes to Emery this season and we overachieve a bit with results after the World Cup, we could possibly pull if off this season.  If not, Emery will have had enough time with the squad to see who is good enough for his ambitions and who isn't.  Next summer will be interesting...  Could end up doing a Mourinho style clear out and spend on quality & leadership or only sign players to complement what we have here.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I have no idea what will happen this January...  If we can stay healthy and Emery can get the squad pressing and moving as a unit in his style during the WC break, Boxing Day is going to be fun...  On paper, we aren't too far away from a squad with enough quality to gatecrash into the European places, but that all depends on whether or not Emery will be able to get them punching at or above their weight.  If the squad really takes to Emery this season and we overachieve a bit with results after the World Cup, we could possibly pull if off this season.  If not, Emery will have had enough time with the squad to see who is good enough for his ambitions and who isn't.  Next summer will be interesting...  Could end up doing a Mourinho style clear out and spend on quality & leadership or only sign players to complement what we have here.  

It's difficult to clear a squad out if we end up with players which club don't want and are tied down to expensive long term contracts. 

34 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Emery’s signed him twice, but I think we have enough central midfielders , both Ramsey and Sanson can play the Lo Celso role. The pressing matter for January should  be a pacy winger .

Why?  We didn't play with any wingers on Sunday.  A pacy forward with good feet I would agree with.  But Emery doesn't appear to play with traditional wingers - more wide players who then attack the goal (a bit like Bailey) rather than the corner flag.  There appears to be little to suggest that our tactics are going to be to attack the bye line and send in crosses for our centre forward.  Doesn't seem like the way we were trying to play on Sunday and from what I have seen about Villareal it wasn't the way that they played either.  Both their "wide midfielders" seemed to be encouraged to break past the CF on the angle rather than to try and beat people on the outside.

Personally I think we need a CM and a pacy CF with a good first touch - but for the first time in 20 years I really don't care what "type" of player we sign because I am confident that UE knows exactly the type of player(s) we / he needs.  Based on his first week in charge he could sign Ben Mee tomorrow and I would be convinced that he was exactly what we needed.   (OK maybe that is a step too far....... 😉😉). 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, allani said:

Why?  We didn't play with any wingers on Sunday.  A pacy forward with good feet I would agree with.  But Emery doesn't appear to play with traditional wingers - more wide players who then attack the goal (a bit like Bailey) rather than the corner flag.  There appears to be little to suggest that our tactics are going to be to attack the bye line and send in crosses for our centre forward.  Doesn't seem like the way we were trying to play on Sunday and from what I have seen about Villareal it wasn't the way that they played either.  Both their "wide midfielders" seemed to be encouraged to break past the CF on the angle rather than to try and beat people on the outside.

Personally I think we need a CM and a pacy CF with a good first touch - but for the first time in 20 years I really don't care what "type" of player we sign because I am confident that UE knows exactly the type of player(s) we / he needs.  Based on his first week in charge he could sign Ben Mee tomorrow and I would be convinced that he was exactly what we needed.   (OK maybe that is a step too far....... 😉😉). 

That’s what I was getting at really pace and power forward/winger whatever you want to call it wether it’s Sarr, Chuckwueze , or Nicolas Jackson type. He had plenty of pace and power at Villarreal an injury to Leon Bailey  or Ollie and we lack real options on the counter.

• Like 1