January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Emery should improve individuals and us as a team to a degree, but I think people are naive if they think he alone will turn us into one of the division's better teams or a team capable of challenging for top seven, and not just as one off but establishing ourselves as a team that are known for always challenging, he's going to need help in the transfer market for that, and that will have been agreed upon when he was in talks to become our manager.

I doubt we will bring many in in January, maybe a striker or some form of attacker if we're still struggling for goals, but the most part I imagine the majority of the transfer work will be left to the summer.

• Like 1

I've only seen highlights but Adam Wharton getting a lot of rave reviews at Blackburn, seen a few of their fans compare him to Gordan Cowans amongst others. Only turned eighteen earlier this year, already doing well at Championship level, going to have a lot of clubs keeping a watch on him. Crossed my mind that our U21 Head Coach will already know him as he came from Blackburn.

Edit: SIgned a five year deal in September, so probably won't be leaving anytime soon, but that contract probably won't mean much if he contiues his good form and premier league clubs start showing an interest.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, useless said:

Emery should improve individuals and us as a team to a degree, but I think people are naive if they think he alone will turn us into one of the division's better teams or a team capable of challenging for top seven, and not just as one off but establishing ourselves as a team that are known for always challenging, he's going to need help in the transfer market for that, and that will have been agreed upon when he was in talks to become our manager.

I doubt we will bring many in in January, maybe a striker or some form of attacker if we're still struggling for goals, but the most part I imagine the majority of the transfer work will be left to the summer.

I think the money tap is off.

Owners haven't spent big for a long time now.

And the Grealish money doesn't count. I'm talking about net.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't really watch enough of Newcastle, but I don't think there's a huge disparity (if any, really) between our squad and theirs in terms of ability.

What we need to do is have a squad to fit a particular system - which we did have with Smith, and then undid with Gerrard.  Outside of that, though, I can't see any glaringly obvious positions in which we'd need to go to the transfer market.  IMO, our squad is comfortably good enough for a top half finish and really should be pushing for those European places.  I'm not saying that will now happen this season, but that's more where we "should be".

On 25/10/2022 at 12:29, useless said:

I've only seen highlights but Nicolas Jackson looks a interesting player, direct and fast, can play either wing or through the middle and I think has also played in midfield, not long turned 21, was linked to Everton and Newcastle in the summer.

Now being linked to Barcelona and us, apparently available for a free in the Summer.

17 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Depends how you count I guess. They have allowed the wage budget to absolutely soar. We signed a bunch of players on very expensive contracts. That's still spending money as far as I'm concerned.

And the money for the stadium rebuild is going to come from somewhere too. Can't really expect to be on a negative £100m a season on top of what the stadium will cost. But they are still investing in the football side enough for my liking.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Depends how you count I guess. They have allowed the wage budget to absolutely soar. We signed a bunch of players on very expensive contracts. That's still spending money as far as I'm concerned.

And the money for the stadium rebuild is going to come from somewhere too. Can't really expect to be on a negative £100m a season on top of what the stadium will cost. But they are still investing in the football side enough for my liking.

If that is the case they need to stop talking about Europe.

Never gonna reach Europe by having a self sustaining model.

We're basically just Crystal Palace then.

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If that is the case they need to stop talking about Europe.

Never gonna reach Europe by having a self sustaining model.

We're basically just Crystal Palace then.

That was always just fanciful thinking for the short term as far as I was concerned. Our best chance to sneak into Europe will be through a unlikely cup triumph.

West Ham had a purple patch last season and Newcastle are flying high atm and might build on it due to their blood money. But financially the big clubs are earning 3 times as much as us or more. Gonna be a marathon to close that gap and will likely never happen before they bugger off to their Super League.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

That was always just fanciful thinking for the short term as far as I was concerned. Our best chance to sneak into Europe will be through a unlikely cup triumph.

West Ham had a purple patch last season and Newcastle are flying high atm and might build on it due to their blood money. But financially the big clubs are earning 3 times as much as us or more. Gonna be a marathon to close that gap and will likely never happen before they piss off to their Super League.

You're prob right.

Right now the situation is:

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle. 

Which of these clubs is it realistic we will finish above in the coming years?

Just now, Pinebro said:

You're prob right.

Right now the situation is:

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle. 

Which of these clubs is it realistic we will finish above in the coming years?

Never going to catch the SKY-6, Newcastle will not be as straight a line as it is now hopefully. But 7th to 10th are what we should aim for and hope we get it perfect one of these seasons and can build from that.

Spurs probably make more money in their stadium from those 2 NFL games that we make from our 19 PL games combined. How do we catch that?

Anyway, really looking forward to what Emery can do with this squad and to see what type of players he will attract and try to sign. Short and hopefully long term.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'm going to stick my oar in and then sod off again as it is just a general comment.

Due to the fact that Emery is such a details manager and will drill the players to be much better as a unit.....

I find it odd that people are saying we need this or that position to be filled with the exception of where there is numerical holes in the squad such as the full backs.

We won't go down with Emery at the helm and we should see who does and doesn't fit into the way he plays before casting people aside.

Scenes when McGinn becomes the first name on the team sheet again...

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Never going to catch the SKY-6, Newcastle will not be as straight a line as it is now hopefully. But 7th to 10th are what we should aim for and hope we get it perfect one of these seasons and can build from that.

Spurs probably make more money in their stadium from those 2 NFL games that we make from our 19 PL games combined. How do we catch that?

Anyway, really looking forward to what Emery can do with this squad and to see what type of players he will attract and try to sign. Short and hopefully long term.

Newcastle will keep outspend us so we will never catch them. 

25 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Newcastle will keep outspend us so we will never catch them. 

Spending in isolation is no guarantee of success. We've outspent many of the teams above us over the years.

Not saying you're wrong at all, but spending needs to accompany good recruitment and excellent coaching. If we can recruit well over the next few windows, we could be well placed to be a top 8 team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

A lot of talk is that Emery will be well backed. If not, what's the point of having an elite manager at the helm?

The owners are more likely to trust Emery than Gerrard with their investment. I wouldn't be surprised if there had already been doubts about our recruitment direction in the summer, hence Lange and the board holding back. 

I mean, **** knows what really happened with Saar...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Cause he’s 20 and a lot of people think he has a very bright future.

His stats past couple seasons are decent but are hardly setting the league on fire. We’d be gambling on him improving quite a lot which is possible considering his age but far from a certainty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Warm welcome the the club Nicolas Jackson!

Out of contract in the summer. Barca sniffing around but we have Emery!

Definitely the profile of player we should be in for. Relatively cheap due to contract situation can play a number of positions across the front 3 and only 21.

• Like 1