January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Without smith being involved? Highly doubt he wasnt asked

Suso signed Nakamba, Engels, Wesley and Samatta from his Belgian contact. He was asked to build a squad on the cheap

• Like 1

Watkins has scored more than Wilson since their moves. 

I know Wilson has had lots of injuries, but you have to take that into account. He had injuries before.

In 5 seasons at Bournemouth, he only got into double figures in goals, once. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Watkins has scored more than Wilson since their moves. 

I know Wilson has had lots of injuries, but you have to take that into account. He had injuries before.

In 5 seasons at Bournemouth, he only got into double figures in goals, once. 

Wilson got about a third of his goals from penalties as well. Watkins think has 1

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Without smith being involved? Highly doubt he wasnt asked

From what I remember it was a collective thing where they all pitched in to get a shortlist of 4 players per position, then Suso and Purslow would go about trying to get one in, depending on a variety of factors.  Dean seemed happy working with whoever he was given.  I think that was largely dispensed with when Dean left when it was decided to go for a higher profile type of player and I personally think we are worse off because of it, not just now but in a couple of years when we are struggling to shift them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We didn't want to pay him £100k a week for 4 year contract with 5th year option up to the player and he's been injured a lot since the move. I have zero problem not signing him

Problem was we signed Ings with exactly the same profile 12 months later!

If we're signing an older poacher type forward it would've made more sense to do it while Grealish was still on our books so that's where Wilson would've been good.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Problem was we signed Ings with exactly the same profile 12 months later!

If we're signing an older poacher type forward it would've made more sense to do it while Grealish was still on our books so that's where Wilson would've been good.

But Wilson isnt a very good poacher. His goal record is very average especially in a Bournemouth team that attacked a lot

If was the other way around and we watched Wilson weekly people would be shouting Ollie is better

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Hopefully we use the World Cup break to do the legwork regarding transfers so they can come in as soon as the window opens.  Starting with a right winger, Sarr would be the most logical as we had the deal in place in the summer.  Possibly one or two from Villareal if Emery knows what their release clauses are and trusts them to improve the team.

Callum Wilson is an average PL striker, that’s not a criticism as it’s one hell of a level to get to. But the difference is he’s playing in a side that is well balanced and is set up to create chances for him. Since Deano left we’ve seem to forgotten how to get the best out of Watkins… Smith always said he was the best “pressing forward” in the league, a lot of Watkins’ goals came from forcing defenders into mistakes, running in behind or getting early low crosses into the box quickly for him, we don’t bother with any of that any more.

As for Ings I don’t think we ever knew what to do with him but he has a similar record Wilson, maybe better actually, so he should be able to score goals but again it’s about having a system which works. Both players look devoid of confidence… Watkins in particular, that’s an outcome of poor form and poor tactical set ups which don’t suit either of them for the last 12 months at least. Hopefully the new manager has a better plan for what to do with them

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 2

How good is Pau Torres?

Seeing links about replacing Ming's as first choice, from beacons of truth Teamtalk, via Football insider.

He's apparently a Left Footer but I'm assuming wouldn't be cheap 

I love Tyrone, but if we can find a better version of him, with him STAYING as a part of th squad I'm all for it.

Pau Torres and Carlos Starting CB pairing with Ming's/ Chambers/Konsa as depth?

One of the pods made a good point, as much as they are loved, Ming's and Konsa are essentially a Championship CB pairing.

I'd have Ming's over Konsa all day though!

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How good is Pau Torres?

Seeing links about replacing Ming's as first choice, from beacons of truth Teamtalk, via Football insider.

He's apparently a Left Footer but I'm assuming wouldn't be cheap 

I love Tyrone, but if we can find a better version of him, with him STAYING as a part of th squad I'm all for it.

Pau Torres and Carlos Starting CB pairing with Ming's/ Chambers/Konsa as depth?

One of the pods made a good point, as much as they are loved, Ming's and Konsa are essentially a Championship CB pairing.

I'd have Ming's over Konsa all day though!

I would imagine there's no way that we're signing him. He's a local lad there that has been courted by numerous top sides who have been unable to prise him away thus far, when he eventually does move it'll be to a club in that upper bracket.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I would imagine there's no way that we're signing him. He's a local lad there that has been courted by numerous top sides who have been unable to prise him away thus far, when he eventually does move it'll be to a club in that upper bracket.

I disagree. I’m sure emery has come here to attract those type of players and has been promised a budget for it. If he was managing players of that calibre he will want to match that if not better it. I think his connection to these types of players will be used and utilised. We need to press on now and attract higher quality players or we’ll just be stuck with performances like yesterday 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I disagree. I’m sure emery has come here to attract those type of players and has been promised a budget for it. If he was managing players of that calibre he will want to match that if not better it. I think his connection to these types of players will be used and utilised. We need to press on now and attract higher quality players or we’ll just be stuck with performances like yesterday 

I appreciate the sentiment of this and I know it's generally the response when anyone thinks it's unrealistic for us to sign a player now, but I still can't see it specifically in the case of Torres. Bigger, more attractive clubs than Villa haven't been able to sign him yet and I don't think Emery alone can make it happen here. Furthermore I think everyone is in agreement that Villa need to be wiser with how they spend money, and in the case of Torres you're talking €55-60 million just to pay his release clause, to only improve one position in a squad and in turn limit how much you can spread elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I appreciate the sentiment of this and I know it's generally the response when anyone thinks it's unrealistic for us to sign a player now, but I still can't see it specifically in the case of Torres. Bigger, more attractive clubs than Villa haven't been able to sign him yet and I don't think Emery alone can make it happen here. Furthermore I think everyone is in agreement that Villa need to be wiser with how they spend money, and in the case of Torres you're talking €55-60 million just to pay his release clause, to only improve one position in a squad and in turn limit how much you can spread elsewhere.

But spending £20m a time on players isn’t going to always get the quality you want.  Sometimes you sacrifice quantity just to get quality in. We aren’t going to fix the squad over night and single players can make a huge difference

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But spending £20m a time on players isn’t going to always get the quality you want.  Sometimes you sacrifice quantity just to get quality in. We aren’t going to fix the squad over night and single players can make a huge difference

I just think it'd be surprising to see Villa spend £50ish million on any one player in the immediate future is all,  for one it'd be the highest fee ever paid by a club outside of the top 6 and that's without getting into the other factors that make signing Torres highly improbable.

Don't necessarily disagree with you generally, though at the same time it's more about how you spend rather than what you spend as Villa have shown in recent years by consistently overpaying for players.

10 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Get what you're saying, but food for thought, sometimes it's also down to timing, and a little bit of luck.

For example, a player might not have been ready to, or wanted to move at a certain time.

There might come a point where they feel they have gone as far as they can with the club, and are now open to a move.

" Bigger clubs " who may have wanted him in previous windows, might no longer have space, need or budget for him, due to already filling those gaps with other big name/ expensive players.

Player could also view it as a pathway into the PL, either he can do well with us and be a part of building something successful, or showcase himself to a " bigger club "

Failing that, the Lacroix bloke looked pretty good on paper.

Also really liked the look of Calvin Bassey

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I agree in some sense but the same could be said about Boubacar, he was on a free and just breaking into the French national team, he still came to us, we still have some pull. I’m sure Emery wouldn’t have taken the job if he didn’t think he could or would be able to improve the squad. We need to stop thinking that £50 million on a player is above us, that’s where we need to be. We sold Jack for £100 million. Players are huge investments nowadays yes but I’d rather have one or two of those a season than try and find bargin bucket signings for that inevitably don’t pay off and we waste money anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I just think it'd be surprising to see Villa spend £50ish million on any one player in the immediate future is all,  for one it'd be the highest fee ever paid by a club outside of the top 6 and that's without getting into the other factors that make signing Torres highly improbable.

Don't necessarily disagree with you generally, though at the same time it's more about how you spend rather than what you spend as Villa have shown in recent years by consistently overpaying for players.

Newcastle brought Isaak , West Ham brought Paqueta just off the top of my head.  Maybe we won’t spend big on one player in the immediate future, it might be as good as time as any with Emery’s closeness with the talent at his old club.  Yeah I agree it’s unlikely Torres would come but we did say that about Kamara as well.  Who knows! Let’s just see what Emery does.  I don’t care how much they cost as long as they improve us.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Get what you're saying, but food for thought, sometimes it's also down to timing, and a little bit of luck.

For example, a player might not have been ready to, or wanted to move at a certain time.

There might come a point where they feel they have gone as far as they can with the club, and are now open to a move.

" Bigger clubs " who may have wanted him in previous windows, might no longer have space, need or budget for him, due to already filling those gaps with other big name/ expensive players.

Player could also view it as a pathway into the PL, either he can do well with us and be a part of building something successful, or showcase himself to a " bigger club "

Failing that, the Lacroix bloke looked pretty good on paper.

Also really liked the look of Calvin Bassey

I agree on the whole, but at the same time I'm just saying that the idea of Torres specifically is unrealistic even if it isn't impossible. Circumstances vary for every player and in his case there's a lot that would indicate it won't happen even if Emery is Villa manager now. I feel like the attitude in response to being skeptical of being able to get a certain level of player in has become "well why not" as if it's we're not talking completely in hypotheticals lol.

I've certainly been surprised before by Villa though so who knows, I was stunned we got Kamara for example albeit certain factors made that more likely than what we're talking about. Just can't see it, though I wouldn't be complaining!

• Like 1

Newcastle were able to sign Guimaraes last season in January, obviously everyone knows their financial situation but we’re not miles away from what we can sign and pay players. I’d like to think players will want to play for Emery too, given what he’s done in Europe and how highly his players speak about him. It will be interesting to see what he can do with the team before January, kamara being available is huge. 

2 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Callum Wilson is an average PL striker, that’s not a criticism as it’s one hell of a level to get to. But the difference is he’s playing in a side that is well balanced and is set up to create chances for him. Since Deano left we’ve seem to forgotten how to get the best out of Watkins… Smith always said he was the best “pressing forward” in the league, a lot of Watkins’ goals came from forcing defenders into mistakes, running in behind or getting early low crosses into the box quickly for him, we don’t bother with any of that any more.

As for Ings I don’t think we ever knew what to do with him but he has a similar record Wilson, maybe better actually, so he should be able to score goals but again it’s about having a system which works. Both players look devoid of confidence… Watkins in particular, that’s an outcome of poor form and poor tactical set ups which don’t suit either of them for the last 12 months at least. Hopefully the new manager has a better plan for what to do with them

Ings is a far better striker than Wilson. Not even close when you look at their production.

I agree with you - he’s just been a total waste since he signed. Not because he’s bad, but because he has been totally mis coached and misused…

• Like 1