Italy v England/England v Germany

andykeenan

I thought getting picked to play for your national team was supposed to be a recognition of being in great form.

Honestly - Phillips, Bowen, Coady, Mount, Grealish, Maguire & Shaw have either not been very good this season thus far or hardly played. 

It's a joke. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26

32 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Maguire 😂 

United form instantly improved the day he was dropped. Just a 2-1 home defeat to Brighton and a 4-0 spanking at Brentford when he did play. He does play well and kneeslide against San Marino though so fair to keep him in

Kind of what I am hoping for from us if McGinn is dropped. 

Unfortunately, our manager doesn't have a massive sack of man balls like Ten Hag does where he's brave enough to drop his captain. 

Southgate has fallen into that trap of going out of his way not to do the obvious to prove how clever he is.

Watching the lionesses was so refreshing. I know already it’ll be shite, slow, safe, predictable performances that bore the tits off of everyone involved.

Edited by Genie

Grealish , ignored for far too long  when he was the best English player in the premier league with Villa   , now automatically  selected when he's not even bang average with citeh 

Prime Southgate 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Southgate has fallen into that trap of going out of his way not to do the obvious to prove how clever he is.

Watching the lionesses was so refreshing. I know already it’ll be shite, slow, safe, predictable performances that bore the tits off of everyone involved.

Even their kit is head and shoulders better than the mens game

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Grealish , ignored for far too long  when he was the best English player in the premier league with Villa   , now automatically  selected when he's not even bang average with citeh 

Prime Southgate 

Its not just a Southgate problem though, that's what England are and have been for as long as I can remember, it's part of why they're infuriating 

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

This prat will squander the most talented attacking players England have had in my lifetime and win absolutely fa.

I honestly think that the posters in this thread would do a better job.

Plethora 

Lot's of talk here about who is in the squad that shouldn't be, but really who should be in the squad that isn't? Genuine question that I'd be interested to hear what people think.

I would say:

Walker (injured?) --> Ben White

Coady --> Mings

Maguire --> Dunk/Tarkowski

Bowen --> Sancho

Phillips --> Maddison

and probably also Tomori/Guehi --> Eze, since there are a bajillion CBs in the squad already

Although, to be fair, and this isn't a defence of Safegate as I did take the piss out of this earlier, but on one hand I do understand the reasons for picking someone like Phillips, as it's clear he will be in the WC squad and this is the last camp before a rushed preparation for the WC. With that in mind, "better" to keep him around as the final preparations are theoretically taking place.

On 16/09/2022 at 19:04, TheAuthority said:

This prat will squander the most talented attacking players England have had in my lifetime and win absolutely fa.

Yep, it's heartbreaking to be honest.

We should already have one trophy with this group and a genuine chance at the World Cup. We'll win nothing with him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, it's heartbreaking to be honest.

We should already have one trophy with this group and a genuine chance at the World Cup. We'll win nothing with him.

This seems to be a genre of manager. Our current incumbent at Villa is one of them. The manager who everyone except his employers can see is going absolutely nowhere and is squandering a golden opportunity, but nothing will happen with him until it's too late because he's either a "nice guy" or a big name and isn't doing terribly enough to get sacked outright. Steve Bruce at Villa is another example. 

• Like 2

Â