Italy v England/England v Germany

andykeenan

Italy Friday 23 Sep 7.45pm

Germany Monday 26 September 7.45pm

Both games Channel 4

The squad 

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Nottingham Forest, loan from Manchester United), Nick Pope (Newcastle United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Everton, loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Marc Guéhi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (AS Roma), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Ivan Toney (Brentford)

Grealish, Maguire, Phillips, Shaw and Bowen are absolutely staggering picks considering historical Southgate comments about form. 

None of them are even remotely close to even starting for their clubs aside from Bowen, who has been bang average so far this season for a very poor West Ham side. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Grealish, Maguire, Phillips, Shaw and Bowen are absolutely staggering picks considering historical Southgate comments about form. 

None of them are even remotely close to even starting for their clubs aside from Bowen, who has been bang average so far this season for a very poor West Ham side. 

Grealish is, he’s rotated as much as all the other City forwards. he’s not in great form though no.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Grealish is, he’s rotated as much as all the other City forwards. he’s not in great form though no.

Grealish has started once this season in 6 games and that was the first game of the season. He's not been in the squad for 3 of them in which I think he was injured? But hardly the basis of being selected. 

Sancho has been in good form for a resurgent United recently, I would be wondering what the f**k was going on if I was him.

Nothing is worse than Phillips however, 14 mins of football all season................ 

Just now, Steero113 said:

Grealish has started once this season in 6 games and that was the first game of the season. He's not been in the squad for 3 of them in which I think he was injured? But hardly the basis of being selected. 

Sancho has been in good form for a resurgent United recently, I would be wondering what the f**k was going on if I was him.

Nothing is worse than Phillips however, 14 mins of football all season................ 

Injured for a number of premier league games and started both champions league games. More minutes than Mahrez and Alvarez across both competitions despite being injured.

Southgate is still a clown who says one thing and does another though.

• Like 1

No Ben White or Sancho?

But GS picks his mates Trent, Maguire, Phillips, and Shaw who are short of form and/or minutes. Jack gets in because of the city factor.

I honestly don't understand his thinking. I get that you want players who know your system, but you have to select based on club form or there's no point.

Bellingham has to be a starter now, he's the best midfielder we've got. Hope GS starts building around him and Foden in the upcoming games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

No Ben White or Sancho?

But GS picks his mates Trent, Maguire, Phillips, and Shaw who are short of form and/or minutes. Jack gets in because of the city factor.

I honestly don't understand his thinking. I get that you want players who know your system, but you have to select based on club form or there's no point.

Bellingham has to be a starter now, he's the best midfielder we've got. Hope GS starts building around him and Foden in the upcoming games.

No Ben White is actually wild - I wasn’t his biggest fan but he’s the form defender of all available.

• Like 1

so tyrone mings is somewhere between 7th and 10th choice - maguire, stones, tomori, dier, guehi, coady then maybe white and also James and Walker can play there

whats his clean sheet percentage record? and off the back of a record breaking home defeat...he's **** clueless

i know he's called up toney and bowen but also thought he would take a look at some more WC squad players, definitely should be looking at an alternative left back, dare i say it these NL games are dead rubbers and no one has nailed the 2nd striker spot, he shouldnt have called up kane or bother playing him

• Like 1

Dier? Really? I would like to know how many other English players have scored more in the last 2 Premier League seasons than Watkins, plus he has already got 2 for England. Oh well I guess if he was regularly played he would go to somewhere like Arsenal.

Edited by The Fun Factory

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

No Ben White is actually wild - I wasn’t his biggest fan but he’s the form defender of all available.

Agreed, he's been very good this season. Seems to be able to bring the ball out of defence too, I'd have liked to have seen him next to Stones.

Also would have liked to see Mitchell from Palace in ahead of both Shaw and Chilwell. Shaw because of his form and Chilwell is still playing his way back after his injury. Mitchell needs to be in the squads as both Shaw and Chilwell are injury prone. I guess GS sees Trippier as a better option there though.

Wow.  That selection is even more uninspiring than I was expecting.

Hopefully another two heavy defeats in these friendlies and this charlatan will walk.

That said if he's still in charge for the world cup at least I won't miss anything by boycotting it. 

Â